My boyfriend is such a picky eater. What should I do?

In a minute he’s going to starve because I’m tired of cooking for him and he says he doesn’t like this or that. Cook yourself then. And it’s always something different it’s driving me crazy because I cook a lot.

My boyfriend is such a picky eater. What should I do?
Updates:
I’m going to need some of you to stop saying I don’t know how to cook. His own mom struggled with feeding him what he wanted. And he looks up the menu when we go to new restaurants so it’s not a struggle.
**He slightly complained about what I cooked tonight and I told him to order out then he just picked at it soooo maybe he’ll get the hint soon. I’m full though ☺️

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Dump him and run to me. I'm not picky and I know how to cook. We'd have fun in the kitchen...

Seriously though, make him cook for himself then. You're not gonna be slaving in the kitchen only for him to go "I'm not a fan of that". Or, even better, make him the same damn thing every night. You make what you want, then make him something he likes, but do it every night until he's sick of it. And you keep doing this. When he's tired of the chicken nuggets, start making the hamburgers. When he's tired of that, make the mac and cheese out of the box. When he's had too much of that, make hot dogs. When he's had enough of that, make him the pasta. Once you're out of options, you start the cycle over. Get him one of those plates with the animal plates on them and make a big thing of Kool-aid and when you serve him, go "here you go, honey" with a slightly higher pitch voice. Not enough that he'll know what's up. Just enough so that he goes "something about that voice is off, I just don't know what".
    Big baby.
    Buy a bunch of microwaveable pizzas. Don't even make them for him. He knows where to find them.
    Make him go shopping himself.
    Make a gourmet version of mac and cheese, then make the box mac and cheese, give him the box stuff and keep the good stuff to yourself. If he goes after your stuff, just go "oh, you won't like it. I actually had to put effort into making that". Do the same thing with chicken strips. Make real chicken strips and buffalo sauce, serve him microwaveable chicken nuggets with ketchup.
    Make a batch of cookies, go out and by a package of Chips Ahoy, and keep the cookies you made to yourself.
    Yeah, I'm being a bit mean and most of these suggestions aren't meant to be taken very seriously, but picky eaters bug me. It bugs me so much, I dated a picky eater who put ketchup on EVERYTHING and now I cannot stand the smell or taste of ketchup.

0|0
    0|0
    • If this isn’t the definition of Passive Aggressive I don't know what is😂 lol I got a laugh out of this comment though

• Gotta get the message across somehow. You're not working hard for a picky eater.
      If nothing else, I'm happy you laughed and didn't take what I said seriously...
      Though you can take it seriously if you wish...

• In response to your second update, I was going to suggest that, but that wasn't nearly as entertaining as what I suggested.
      To your first update, hey, screw those people saying you don't know how to cook. This guy doesn't appreciate the art of cooking. That's fine, but that doesn't mean you don't know how to cook.

• That can be a challenge. I had an ex that was a very picky eater also and unfortunately a couple of the relatively few things she liked are among the relatively few things I don't like.

We came up with a set of core things that we both liked and ate those fairly often, but sometimes we'd cook two separate things. We often had two different vegetables because there were very few vegetables she'd eat and I wanted a lot more variety.

It's manageable but it can be challenging for the person that likes more variety in food.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Haha my ex was like that. Dating a picky eater wasn't something I expected to be a problem, until it was.

1|1
    0|0
  • Geez! How old is he? He shouldn’t expect you to feed him. You aren’t his mother. He’s old enough to know what he likes and doesn’t like. He isn’t a child.
    You need to be firm with him and refuse to cook for him if he’s going to behave like a child.
    If he’s hungry, he can get up and make it himself. You couldn’t feed him like a child forever.

Now... before other people rip my head off. I will say I could understand if he has allergies to certain foods but, by the sounds of it, he’s fine to eat all food without any issues.

3|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 65

• It depends how determined you are. If you aren’t really determined, dump him. Otherwise, you can ask what flavors, specific flavors, like tomato, instead of saying pizza. Then you can kinda sort out a bunch of things that he’ll eat. Also, you can always resort to premade stuff if you don’t want to cook.

1|0
    0|0
    • We live together and I wouldn’t break up with him over this I find that a bit childish. Everything else in our relationship is strong. I’ll probably just try doing that! Thanks

• Your choices are breaking up or being his maid? LOL There's a middle ground. He can cook his own food.

• If he is consistently picky in the sense of not liking a lot of things you can menu plan around that. If he constantly changes what he doesn't like, yeah, tell him to cook for himself or order out.

1|0
    0|0
    • No it’s not consistent it always changes and it’s starting to aggravate me. And yea I think I’m going to mention that to him

• Definitely. Everyone has their Limits.

• Fish sticks and spaghetti. That is what you feed picky eaters. ;)

2|1
    0|0
  • Give him a notebook and TELL HIM WRITE WHAT YOU WANT and I will make it when I have time to cause I'm sick of putting up with your crazy eating disorder so why dont we just make this simple. So I'm not wasting OUR money on food that you won't eat. Cause its expensive and a waste to be throwing out excess food that costs money BTW!!! And that money could be better used towards saving or on what we need to survive IE bills and such.

1|0
    0|0
  • Your boyfriend needs to suck it up and feed himself like an adult unless you're cooking for him, in which case he needs to suck it up and quit being picky and immature. Not every meal can be perfect and he needs to realize how lucky he is to have food and people who cook for him.

2|0
    0|0
  • From what I have read, even adults can learn to like things if they taste them several times. I think it was up to 20 times you had to taste it.

So it's more a matter of getting your taste buds used to it than anything.

I like most things, and I think that is because my parents encouraged me to try stuff when I was a kid.

1|0
    0|0
  • This is simple, if this bothers you, you can either force him to change his personality (a tad difficult / probably immoral), or suck it up and make him do something for you that balances it out to make it feel better, or dump him and let him find someone who has more in common that won't be bothered by his eating habits... then find someone who is open to eating lots of different stuff next time.

0|0
    1|0
  • Tell him to man up and not be a teenage girl ;)

Sorry, don't have anything constructive other than that.

3|0
    0|0
  • Tell him to cook his own food.
    I'm a picky eater who hates omnivores telling him what he should/not eat, but I cook all my own food and I do not expect or even desire others to pick and prepare meals for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I recommend using something strong like cyanide, you can inject in him directly or just put in a coffee, he'll be dead in a few hours, then find some good spot in the woods and bring a showel, be sire it's dark

1|3
    0|0
  • He needs to learn to eat, and like, more things. It's ridiculous for you, or anyone, to keep catering to him whims and small number of things he likes.

2|0
    0|0
  • you cook a meal if you want.
    if he doesn't eat it he can find his own food.

it's really that simple. the problem is he's been coddled so he thinks he'll demand and get what he wants

2|0
    0|0
  • If that picture is actually him, he is handsome.

Everyone has their flaws. I would either accept them and enjoy the rest of him or tell him it bothers you.

I am a very picky eater myself because a lot of different food things I can not eat.

Is there ever any reason he doesn't like what he doesn't like?

0|0
    0|0
    • No that is not him I don't know who that is my question was “featured” and the moderator put a picture of a random guy lol. And I haven’t told him it bothers me yet I was trying to get over it but we might have to... we live together so he’s going to have to compromise or just make his own stuff which I’m completely fine with. And no I don’t know only thing I know is he doesn’t like certain textures but that’s not the case here

• If it bothers you enough you can't get over it then it's time for a discussion. Communication is important in a relationship. If he can't explain why doesn't like some foods then he needs to make his own food. If he can explain it take it seriously, don't judge him, it may seem irrational but try to understand it. Maybe he can give you an exact list of what he won't eat. I can't for example eat mint, so neither mint icecream or mint tea would I eat. That doesn't mean I couldn't have earl grey.

• Why are you cooking for him? Is this the 1950s? Anyone who can't cook (male of female) is pathertic. It's a basic skill.

3|0
    0|1
    • I’m not really cooking for him I’m cooking dinner in general he just comes home to it.

• Understood. Make him cook

• Simple. Your not his mom. Does he expect you to serve him? Tell him if he is going to whine, cook himself. If he starves it is his own self negligence... Tell him grow up! You having kids? He doesn't take a good look in mirror and you will have an adult child to care for too. Not sure about anyone else, not spilling my whole life, but ain't no body got time for that. Say beatch, go to applbees and whine what you don't like there.

1|0
    0|0
  • Picky eaters drive me crazy... Have him pick out what he wants to eat, and then make that. If he says he doesn't know than tell him to get an idea. That way you aren't just constantly wasting food on him.

1|0
    0|0
  • Stop acting like his mother then, there are things that he needs to understand which are, the chef picks the menu of the day, if its a surprise why not otherwise either he cooks it himself or eat whats there infront of him. Dont encourage that behaviour because the more you do... And by the time you speak up, it will be your fault because he will be already customed to you cooking what ever he wants when ever he wants.

1|0
    0|0
  • Let the lazy fuck either cook his own grub or let him starve, What a big fuckin baby.

3|0
    0|0
  • Tell him that if there's a certain way he wants it done he needs to cook it himself and show you how to do it.

2|0
    0|0
  • My girlfriend is the same way. Best to just play hard ball and tell him to feed himself or try something new. He won't actually starve.

3|0
    0|0
  • you need to improve lady, he's told his mate on Masterchef that he's not happy. Really try and present your food aswell.
    Its important that it isn't basic:
    Here's an example, instead of 'Roast chicken, peas, mash'
    DO THIS: 'Butter chicken with cocunut sprinkles, Basmati Rice, Natural set yogurt with finely chopped mint and a bit of salt and pepper.
    Instead of 'Spaghetti Bolognese with a jar of sauce'
    DO THIS 'Tomato cans, sundried tomato puree, basil oregana, dash of wine, cooked mince, fresh mushrooms, fresh onions, add some water.. then slow cook 2-3hrs, top it with parmesan upon serving. Pour a glass of wine.
    Instead of 'your pussy'
    DO THIS 'spread nutella over it and wear tight underwear and let him take it off'

0|0
    1|0
  • You shouldn't be scared of him. He should be scared of you. After all, you're the one cooking for him. You can shame him if he starts whining over a food starving people across the world can't have.

0|0
    0|0
    • If he's a picky eater and he chose you then you must be special to him. If you know what I mean :P

• Well dessert is always served he eats that 😏 let me stop lol

• Some people are picky by genetics you sadly can’t do much but I recommend making something he likes even if it’s bad for him and adding whatever is missing

0|0
    0|0
  • make him find his own food if he wants to be difficult

2|0
    0|0
  • Quit cooking for him. Tell him to stfu and eat it or go get your own food

1|1
    0|0
  • He can learn to eat what is made for him and be thankful and respectful, or he can starve.

2|0
    0|0
  • Then stop trying to please him but do not be passive aggressive about it. Tell him to his face exactly what you said here. Something along the lines of, "I attempt to cook meals for you but you are incredibly picky. If you're going to keep being picky I can't continue putting time and energy into trying to feed you and you'll have to fend for yourself." That's how it was in my family. Mom made something and if you didn't like it you went hungry. Eventually he'll get so hungry he'll start eating his shoe if he has to. Don't let his belly aching ruin your day.

1|1
    0|0
  • It is your fault if you let him be too picky about foor, it is ok to a certain degree but too much not ok

0|0
    0|0
  • tell him "i'm so fucking done with cooking!" and flip the table

0|0
    0|0
  • Just start cooking whaver your want and offer some but remember your not a burger king...

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 38

• Introduce your finicky eater of a boyfriend to "fend night " this means, fend for yourself.

1|0
    0|0
  • As my mother used to say: This is not a short order kitchen, if you don't like what I'm making you can not eat.
    It isn't your job to cater to him.

3|0
    0|0
    • Might help if you start keeping a list of the things he doesn't like, that way when you go shopping or when you are cooking, you have a reference. So like if you are making spaghetti and he doesn't like meat in his, you could make the sauce and meat separate and only combine them for yourself.

• Tell him you don't have to go through the trouble of making food for him, you're just being nice. If he wants to complain all the time then tell him he can make his own food. You're not responsible for making sure he eats. That falls on him

1|0
    0|0
  • Just tell him to cook for himself. My mother used to cut everything my father disliked as an ingredient and still put it in the dish. He eventually started eating more things when she stopped cooking what he wanted. Now he's not a picky eater at all.

1|1
    0|0
  • Just tell him that he can make what he wants. Or sit down at the beginning of the week and write out a meal plan. That way, you can buy and plan around his pickiness. But tell him he needs to suck it up a bit as well. He's a grown ass man.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lol as a picky eater myself I am sorry to tell you but you just have to deal with it

0|1
    0|0
    • Lol not really you’ll learn quit to fend for yourself then because I’m eating and cooking what I’m in the mood for

• Either he eats your food or he cooks himself. Treating you like a maid is not ok.

1|0
    0|0
  • He's a grown man who is perfectly capable of cooking. If he doesn't like yours or anyone else's he can cook for himself.

1|1
    0|0
  • Teach him how to cook. If you're a grown-ass adult, you've got no excuse for not knowing how to feed yourself, penis or no penis.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don’t have time to teach him him how to cook. We can cook together on weekends probably

• That could help. Or tell him to go take cooking classes. Either way, you aren't his slave, so you shouldn't be dealing with that constantly.

• Tell him to make his own food if he's not satisfied with what you make. Or he can starve.

2|0
    0|0
  • Probably just ask him what he likes and start making that for him if you want to make food for him or else just have him make his own food.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on how extreme it is. I once dated this incredibly hot sweet guy. The problem is the ONLY thing he ever ate is a hamburger. No bread or toppings, just a cooked hamburger patty. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. It was all he ate as a child so all his mother ever made him. He refused anything but a cooked hamburger patty. I knew that this was a deal breaker. Dumb maybe, but imagine only cooking hamburgers for every meal forever. And I LOVE to cook, and and awesome at it. I said goodbye to him.

0|0
    0|0
    • Forgot the rest - sorry. Maybe your guy is not as picky as that - if not then you are lucky. What I would do in your case is cook together. Maybe if he gets involved it might evolve for him.

• "Honey, What would you Like me to Cook that I can do to Please... YOU?"xxoo

0|0
    0|0
    • Bread and Water is always a Hit. Present that to him when the collapse of the economy hits and no more food in any store. xx

• My brother is too! He's not married but seriously the comments he makes about mom's cooking makes me so mad I often end up telling him, go cook by yourself. He's 25 but still acts like a giant baby in case of food ugh.

I hope his future wife makes him cook by himself once she is tired of him like you are, lol. But it has a lot to do with upbringing as well.

My brother was really skinny so mom would only cook his favorite food to make him eat more and gain weight. It is also common for Asian parents to take greater care of their sons than daughters especially if they have only one son so my brother is literally spoiled. I hate it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tell him to make his own food. Picky eaters are some of the most annoying people on the planet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ur right, he’s grown, he knows what he likes. Why are u stressing urself out all the time?

0|0
    0|0
  • You’re not his mama. If he’s not cooperating and making you his slave, dump him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ask him what he wants to eat first, go grocery shopping together, or tell him to learn how to cook.

0|0
    0|0
  • Give him a pen and a paper and ask him to write down what he likes and dislikes. Problem solved.

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s a lot of work for me honestly there needs to be compromise.

• Show All
    • I meant in general, not everyday a list.

• I like different varieties I think that’s the issue I don't know he may just need to cook for himself sometimes

• i am also a picky eater, don't get mad, he can't help it

0|1
    1|1
  • Learn to cook decently.. Take cooking classes maybe

0|0
    1|1
  • Ask what he likes then cook it for him.

1|1
    0|0
  • He's old enough to fend for himself lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Ask him to cook for you from now on

1|1
    0|0
  • Tell him to cook his own shit

2|1
    0|0
  • Why do you cook for him?

1|1
    0|0
  • Make him cook his own food lmao I would

1|0
    0|0
    • Or just ask him what he wants to eat and you guys decide on it together. It’s just food though

• Tell him to make at least csome of his meals

1|0
    0|0
  • Your not his mamma don't worry about it much

0|1
    0|0
  • You are his maid? Kick his ass!

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes