What does it mean when he says "You mean a lot to me" ?

I am not the type of person to get hung up on semantics... however... my boyfriend is very guarded and very deliberate when he opens up emotionally. We have been good friends for 12 years... and until about a year ago we were unable to pursue anything due to circumstance (he lived on the other side of the country).

Over the course of the last month ... He has really tried to be emotionally vulnerable and has

1) whispered ever-so quietly "i love you" in my ear post-coital afterglow (it was almost inaudible)

2) Recently signed a text "Love, [name]"

3) Introduced me to his friends and family - who openly articulated the "change" they see in him in terms of his affection for me

4) and wrote me a rather heartfelt email stating he is a "better man" since we came together (we have been dating for 10 months - all exclusively)... He then signed the same email "you mean a lot to me"

I guess I am wondering if he is "falling" in love? Does "you mean a lot to me" mean that in this context?

I should also caveat my question by saying he is in his late 30s (he is 10 years older than I) and has mentioned that he is looking for "someone to come home to" ... and is selling his sports car in the Fall because "it is time" and he isn't in that place in his life anymore. He already owns a home - and over the course of the last 6 months has completely decorated it professionally - in which he has sought my input.

Any thoughts? "What does you mean a lot to me" actually mean?

A close MALE friend of mine thinks he is going to propose within the next 6 months... what do you think?

I have no expectations whatsoever ... nor do I think a proposal is coming ... but I am interested from a guy's point of view as to where you think his mind is.

215

Most Helpful Guys

• Well, I was looking for the meaning of "You really mean lot to me". I am not that expressive person but I do tell what feel about to my ex-girl friend.
    I had been in relation before a month. We really love each other truly but something really happened and she did not able to overcome the emotion and gave up. But she still wants to keep in contact and coining me as the best friend. I am not sure if it will work in that way yet I am ready to support her in any mean.
    When I sign her that I might not hold on position and wanna be staying unknown forever. She reluctantly indirectly declined with me decision and said "You still mean a lot of to me" but she never sees any possibilities in future that we can be living together which I wish for.
    I m really curious with this suspense word.

• He's trying to walk right up to the edge of saying "I love you" without actually taking the risk of saying it. He want you to hear "I love you" without him being held to it after the fact. He really does care for you but he does not want to move too fast.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with everyone. The fact that you are together for 1 year and 2 months and he says that you mean a lot for him is really the silent way of men saying that they care deeply for you but he is not yet ready for the next step. And most of all really good men hate fights - so was his way to say that. Translation in women language "I love you a lot but fighting is one thing I don't quite like". I know we tend to be emotional sometimes - but try to talk it out instead of fighting it out. I think he loves you enough to talk it through with you - just don't forget "let's talk" is not the favorite phrase for guys. Use something like "I have this thing on my mind and I wonder if you can help me with it."

• What do u mean by he's not ready for the next step?
      We recently just met each others parents for the first time (im the first girl he has introduced to his parents - none of his exes has met them)
      We are each others longest relationship
      We are planning on vacation together early next year

• Oh and he says he loves me everyday

• You didn't mentioned the parents. That means he is very close to something very very serious. Just give him peace, a bit of space (that means no fights because you are afraid of something - he may not see it the same way as you and you may end up in bigger fights). He needs to come to some decisions on his own and for that men need their "man cave". He may get quieter and be a bit more sensitive to your words. Have patience (I know is very hard) and most of all try to be as calm as you can possibly be. Good luck :)