Does it bother you when a girl curses a lot?

I do from time to time curse like a sailor
  • Yes its the worst , act like a lady dangnaggit
  • No its fine, fuck you to !

62193

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the context m, but generally I just encourage people to be themselves.

Most Helpful Girls

• I'm actually torn on this. I don't really cuss around other people, though I cuss like a sailor when I'm alone yelling at faulty equipment or I drop half of my supper on the floor. If I'm in public and something causes me to let out a vulgar word you should start running, because as stoic as I am if something makes me lose my composure around other people it's something to be afraid of. If I start cussing at you because I'm mad you better start running because I'm about to the point where things will turn ugly.

There are two kinds of offensive language. Profanity, which is treating the sacred with disrespect or even with open contempt, is always offensive regardless of whether it comes from a guy or a gal.

Vulgarity, which is the most common form that you hear on the street (the seven words you can't say on TV, for instance), is born of elitism.

It actually offends me that vulgar words are considered offensive, and that vulgarity itself is considered a bad thing. Vulgar literally means "of the masses" so when you call something vulgar you're saying "that's how lowly commoners talk," as though you're above them.

In old England if a man hired someone to clean his stable on the first day he might say something like "once you get that shit loaded up in your cart I'll show you where I want you to dump it." In that context shit was no more offensive than manure is to us.

A groom might have said to his bride on their wedding night that they can finally fuck, and it was no more offensive as if he would have said "have sex."

Then various conquerors came in. The Normans, the Saxons, etc. The local language was considered profane and the aristocracy set up by the conquerors didn't want to hear it. Some parts of the language survived, it's why English is one of the few, if not the only language to have names for meat different than the animal it comes from (cow->beef, pig->pork, etc.), but other words were marked as offensive.

On the other hand, people throwing out words they know we've been conditioned to see as offensive and not caring that it offends anyone or worse, throwing them out because they offend people are being disrespectful, so my opinion on vulgarity is actually split.