Why the delete option shouldn't exist

I'm not gonna put pressure on G@G because I don't own G@G and this is just what I have to say. Just my opinion. This is the same with blocking someone just because they disagree with them but lets focus on deleting opinions/responses just because of a disagreement for now.

TRIGGER WARNING!

Before we start. I gonna give example of someone abusing the delete option and you may take it personally. Nothing personal and I'm not gonna mention anyone's names nor insult them to avoid member post. So if you don't wanna argue then leave. Being offended doesn't prove anything.

So it's been months since we had that features and I know there are people out there who wants to complain about it. The delete option is just a way to interrupt freedom of speech or a cheep way to dismiss arguments. These are based on my experiences and I know there are people who have these experiences.

For people who do that

Now if you don't want any answers or responses, why ask or why say something?

Why the delete option shouldn't exist

I only censor some of the words of the question so that you can't find her. Just showing some words for you to have idea what we were talking about.

And of course being so entitled to delete anyone's response can make you a retard. You can't delete anyone's opinion in real life remember that because being offended doesn't prove anything. I thought you want any answers and if the person responding to you is abusive, can't you just report if you think we're being abusive. G@G made "report" for a reason. And of course you'd blame G@G for being "biased" You think you're so much better than the mods right?

Why the delete option shouldn't exist

From my original comment of that post

After I backed up my claims
After I backed up my claims

So here's what I'm thinking

I just think that people who do that in their own posts just wanna make their post a source to represent something in an argument not just here on G@G but any forum sites too while people who disagree with them are have their mouth shut to make it seem like everyone agrees with them. Now how do you think that sound? Can't use their words to defend but anger and emotion which is what weak minded people do.

And then we have this

I know I talked about this before. I'm still gonna include this as a good reason why that delete feature should be abolished.

Why the delete option shouldn't exist

Why the delete option shouldn't exist

Why the delete option shouldn't exist

I don't have to say something else about that. It's pretty pointless to fight insults with insults, ad hominems with ad hominems and fire with fire.

You're just a butthurt a hater and a insecure that's why you made that mytake.

No said that to me that but I just have something to say about a response like that since that's a common excuse. Now in case anyone is gonna say that, I can say

No this isn't butthurt and you can't tell by the tone of my voice through text unless you feel hurt because of what I said. Remember hurt people hurt people. So it's ok for you to be butthurt but when I make this take that's crossing the line? I can do what ever I want as you can do what ever you want and no one's stopping you. So tell that to the presidents and famous people who has many haters like you.
Why the delete option shouldn't exist

No G@Gers were harmed in this take.

623

Most Helpful Girl

• 7d

I agree. Reporting comments and them being deleted by moderators if they agree is a good thing. But the ability to delete any answer is problematic

Most Helpful Guys

• 7d

I agree. I hate the "I don't want to see this" option. G@G should get rid of it immediately

• 7d

Mods are too lazy to delete comments, so they give that power to idiots xD

• 6d

I have no idea why my other screenshot got removed by G@G so I'm just gonna post it here. I think G@G got salty of it.
      Why the delete option shouldn't exist

Join the discussion

521
  • 4d

I’d also add that there are questions on gag that are clearly trolls but technically meet the rules. The opinions is the only way to clarify for people looking at the post they are just feeding the trolls. This delete function gives these people the ability to keep their trolling alive that much longer by removing people that call them on obvious bullshit.

• 4d

And to interfere freedom of speech. Sort of destroys the purpose of the report option. If G@G don't find that abusive then you shouldn't too.

• 4d

The delete option is there to discourage people from making polemic comments on other people's opinions and giving rude answers to questions. What you want is discussing and arguing with people, what the site designer wants is for everyone to spend less time arguing and more time asking questions (when you ask a question you have certain control over the responses). More questions = better traffic.

How do they encourage asking questions by giving question/opinion owner the ability to delete comment? if you don't like something someone wrote, ask a question about it instead of trying to refute them under their opinions, and you can't target usernames in your question either, which is another effort of the site designer to generate more content without making it inflammatory :))

Note that they don't want users to disengage entirely, the users are encouraged to leave supportive comments on other user's opinion and try to be helpful to the asker :)) that is the purpose of the text reply field.

Now I won't comment on whether I agree with this site's approach, but from my experience, there are things that are worth arguing about, like math. When you refute someone's claim in math, it leads to further understanding. Too bad this site isn't about that. People don't gain anything from arguing about the topics here, they just hate each other more 😂

• 4d

"Too bad this site isn't about that. People don't gain anything from arguing about the topics here, they just hate each other more" And there are topics called "society and politics" and "religion and spirituality" which always involves arguments. It's easy tho. If you don't want any argument then don't ask. If you don't like what we said, no need to bash and heat up an argument and suck it up. Like we're saying something offensive and also being offended doesn't really prove anything.

• 4d

Ok those are just 4 paragraphs vs people who calls anyone retard, asshat, shallow jerk or anything else (not talking about you). "you are free to leave for a different" But that still means I still have a choice not to. Convincing anyone to follow me is not even what I'm after. That just means I don't care if they don't care but if they delete it means they care. Action speaks louder than words. If this was in real life, this would mean someone I'm talking to just shut the door before saying anything because no one can delete anyone's opinion in real life other than doing that. Walking away is fine because of the fact that they can still hear what I'm saying while walking away but chose not to listen so that's not equal to delete but more of an ignore.

• 4d

But the only thing is that it's only easier to do it online not in real life. Now tell me, why is not ok to comment on something I don't like or share a different opinion but when doing those things I mentioned which is equal to delete here is ok? This is almost like the double standards.

• 7d

I don’t think you should be able to delete people’s opinions.

The best part about GaG is that they don’t cover anything up! They let all opinions, even the haters exist. You get to know what people truly think about the topic. I find it kinda beautiful in a way that it’s people’s raw opinions.

It would be nice to edit/delete your OWN comment though. I’ve make typos all the time and sometimes I want to add onto my opinion.

• 7d

I personally don’t see anything wrong with the delete option as long as it’s only used to delete spam, troll and rude comments. It seems that the person you were arguing with was misusing the delete option by censoring you, that unfortunate.

Perhaps there should be a limit to how much you can delete every week. Maybe 5 posts per week, that should deter it from being misused.

PS. What we actually need is the option to edit our opinions, that way we can correct typos.

• 7d

Yeah we need the edit option for sure

• 7d

@brittslitt I'm talking about people making typos not people deleting anyone's comment just because of a disagreement. That's a different story ADF is talking about

• 7d

@brittslitt Anyways I can see that option potentially used for abuse. And what is wrong with being concerned about the delete option? This is what my mytake is all about and if you're triggered by it, you might as well leave.

• 7d

Honestly, as much as I dislike having my comments deleted, I have grown to use the function, and it IS useful for one thing. It complements the incredibly ineffective and utterly biased moderation. I don't want to point fingers, but the fact is that moderators basically only work when it fits their narrative. Go and report a bunch of hateful stuff said my a popular G@G member, nothing happens. Say one slightly offensive thing, BOOM comment removed, minus 7 XP. It's ridiculous.
    Here are some of the comments I had removed, with expletives substituted with alternatives.

1) "You're a scam bag. Can't take responsibility for you being a buttocks with me and making assumptions about me. Copulate you. I haven't spoken to *insert username1* since he left this site."
    This is in response to a user who accused me of having a false account, and called me names for 4 comments in a row before. I reported all of his comments, none of which got removed.

Same topic:
    "[...]
    *insert username2* even assumed I was an alternate account for *insert username1*, and when I provided proof that I am not, he because a butthurt little 5 year old, and blocked me.
    I don't give a shit about anyone's feelings, I just want the truth. What EXACTLY happened with *insert username1*?"
    Again, this is AFTER he insulted me for several comments in a row. This was removed because it was a MEMBER POST. Because I tagged the person I was talking to. So basically if you talk with someone, and you don't agree with them, and you voice your opinion on them WHILE tagging them, that's a member post. Can't imagine how that's stupid...

2) "You were a batch."
    The user asked why she got tons of downvotes, IIRC. I told her that the reason she got tons of downvotes was because she was acting bitchy. SO OFFENSIVE, right?

3) "If you have a problem with it, point it out, old fart."
    I actually meant old fart in an endearing tone, but I guess some people have paper for skin.

4) "Ah, yes. Tiny dick jokes. Well, I would shush up with your propeller mouth, saggy flat tits and probably fat, cellulite-ridden butt."
    There aren't even really insults in this, and as it says, it was a response to a tiny penis joke. Once again, someone can dish it, but can't take it.

Need I say I get way worse comments, and when I report them, they never get removed. So yeah. When someone is positively stalking me, spreading lies about me, harasses me, or is just plain insulting from the getgo, why should I accept that they can do it without repercussions because mods enforce rules unevenly?

I'll support removing the "I don't want to see this" option when becoming a moderator becomes an achievement based system, and not a collection of oligarchs chosen by G@G overlords (admins) to basically bully the average user and abuse their power.

Inb4 "being a moderator is hard work, we have to remove sooooo much child porn, you'd be the same if you tried it".

• 7d

too much hate.. if you dont like someones opinion, or question, dont answer it or interject.

• 7d

Why can't i answer it? I have a brain in a mouth to speak up. Again it is called freedom of speech and as long as i don't hurt anyone's feelings. if you don't like being responded then don't post anything

• 4d

So? Doesn't mean I can't say anything.

• 4d

Can I also say people liked my mytake and people like opinions agreeing with my mytake?

• 3d

I have ran into those same exact types, mostly from angry feminists, so I know what you mean.

They should remove it and just stick with the reporting feature.

• 5d

I think the original poster should be able to delete any comment they want and block people from commenting specifically in that post, but I don't think that anyone else should be able to delete except the GaG staff themselves and never for political reasons, only due to some form of actual direct threat or harm or excessive vulgarity.

• 6d

Sometimes we need to delete so it is not a continual reminder of pain if it causes pain.

• 6d

If it's abusive it should be taken down by the mods or have it reported but if it's not, suck it up or use your words

• 4d

@brittslitt Oh and to top that off, I don't have speech issues. I have moron or snowflake issues.

• 4d

It’s ok let’s all just leave it both of you are amazing

• 6d

The delete option coupled with the double anonymity feature is the biggest trolling tool granted to members I have seen in 20+ years of visiting internet forums and communities. I would allow it only to non-anons and even then limited to a certain number per day.

• 7d

Only if they're not displaying their name should you be able to delete them.

• 7d

Well that seems reasonable anonymous poster have no power to delete anyone's opinion even if the opinion poster is anonymous

• 7d

*should have no power

• 7d

I don't like it but I think this site has way bigger problems than the delete option.

• 7d

Well for you something else is bigger but delete option is one of the biggest problems here on gag

• 2d

I got deleted and blocked from a woman I showed interest in. She unblocks me like two years later, spoke some got on gopd terms so youd think friendship was restored but won't say anything, or send me any requests or accept my request. ?

• 7d

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people running the site don't have freedom of speech.

• 7d

I love the delete option. Gets rid of anons who troll

• 2d

I believe 100% in right of free speech and that includes the right to offend or trigger. And that includes myself anyone has the right to offend me if they so choose ( though they'll have a really tough time doing it )

But on top of that how can folks have discussions and debates about topics if you just delete any viewpoint that doesn't align with yours?

Freedom of speech doesn't just mean the right to speak freely or offend but also the freedom of expression like ideas, morals, values even opposing ones because that creates debate, discussion, and understanding.

Also lets be real how are people gonna survive in the real world if places just give them the option to censor viewpoints they don't like, it's like one giant safe space and I hate safe spaces. The real world doesn't have that option nor should it. Gotta learn to grow up and face things you don't like, you may not like someones opinion but that doesn't mean that person's opinion isn't valid or correct and vice versa.

• 7d

Ohh la la
    Totally agrees with yo😅
    It's very annoying to face such😔

• 6d

It is a ridiculous feature. At most the person using it should be able to ignore only for himself/herself without removing the responses.

• 5d

I agree. It's a big problem with this site. And they choose to do nothing about it.

• 5d

They should replace it with a new report option.

Report:Troll and/or Report: unwilling for debate.

• 7d

Nicely put!

• 7d

I approve of this post just for the meme

• 1d

Yes right.

• 7d

True, it lets people go wild

• 5d

Lolz

• 7d

They say ching to me sometimes too.