Who Are We & Why Are We Here?

AmandaYVR

Tonight I had a thought. Why am I here? (In life, sure, but I mean, more specifically, on #G@G.) But for that matter, why are we all here? And... who are we? And it made me think of the iconic 1985 coming-of-age film #TheBreakfastClub

Five students of a high school are all sent to Saturday detention, for various infractions. The teacher, Mr. Vernon, has about as much compassion and sympathy as any power-hungry take-his-hatred-of-the-world-out-on-others does. In addition to spending their entire day stuck in detention, he tells them their punishment is to write an essay. "Describe to me who you think you are." Part classic writer's character developmental plot device, and part plot good vs. evil symbolic narrative, they are each meant to summarize their character, and justify their very existence "in no less than 1000 words." But... by the end of the day, the disparate group, who began as only cliche archetypes, rather than with the respect and complexity of unique individuals, have now banded together, and in their united opposition to their dictator, found a way to look past their own judgements and stereotypes, and to a deeper understanding of who they all really were. And what they found was the fact that, despite initial appearances, they really weren't so unlike each other after all. They now knew, understood, and accepted each other, and were bonded in this shared experience.

This was their response:

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong, but we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out, is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.

So why are we here? From reading hundreds, if not probably thousands of comments here over these past few months, and through many fascinating PMs with some individuals, I can say that there are some common threads that tie us together.

We come here after loss. We come here after heartache. We come here to run away, and to run towards something new. We are escaping, and embarking (quite often, in that order.) This 'place', this platform, gives us something in common. We are individuals, vastly different in our pasts and present circumstances, and we often feel the discomfort of that friction and disparity pushing up against us. (It is not so much the inherent differences, as the lack of open-mindedness, and hearing each other out, and the singular, anonymized, disrespect and opinionatedness that is the root of this.) There are many users here who use this as a venue to act out their anger and rage and frustration at the world - really with no productive goal in mind, except to assauge some of their own feelings. But there are also many good people here, who only want to share a bit of who they are, learn things from others, and, hopefully, make some connections. The stories and details of our lives are infinite and bottomless, but here are some that stand out to me...

The person with a heart of gold who contributes often, supports everyone, and wants nothing more than to contribute and be part of a community that enriches each other's lives. The person who is playful, creative, blocks no one, responds respectfully even when challenged, and is a poet at heart. The person with seemingly endless wisdom to share, but never does so in a heavy-handed or superior sort of way, and does it with grace and from a personal voice, which is so easy to relate to in its honesty. The person who shows immense self-restraint and gives respect to those who comment, even when they don't probably deserve it. The thinks-outside-the-box artist who has taught themself how to fashion many things with their hands (a skill becoming more and more rare) and the raw creativity and confident unorthodoxy of their mind. The razer sharp technical mind who has discovered their greater desire and purpose is to help others, after having once, not uncommonly, lived through dark times themselves, and now sees a way through, but who offers advice only cautiously and with utmost humility. The person who faced sudden and violent tragedy and as if barrelling through and processing the stages of grief and despite the grave shock and loss, found a positive takeaway and path to even greater spiritual growth. The person who feels themself an island, but with the ability to see truth between the lies, looks for similar yet perhaps rare common sensibilities out there, and struggles to find the desire to keep hoping for connection. The person who lost their greatest love and partner, and tries continually to find an existence without them. And the many, many people who believe they have found 'the one', but, each for a different reason, are unable to be with them today.

There are many people who have also left. Far, far more than I have known in my short time here. But I will dedicate this end to one in particular, who left months ago to find his next love. He found it once, was making simple, and grand plans of how their life would look together in the future... but she died suddenly and tragically, and it took everything he had in him to say goodbye to her, and to eventually find the courage to move on once more, to try and find happiness again. It was not going to be here, this was not going to be the place of his resurrection, which is admirable and understandable. Some people need more than what this place can provide. We are from all parts of the globe, which is both the beauty and the sometimes agony of it. We look for connections, yet if and when we find them, we are often limited in the satisfaction we can gain from it. It takes guts to decide that the warmth and smile of a person next to you, on that sofa and in your bed, is what is really needed to feel complete. Some things can be a distraction from this true, and most honest desire. But for those that decide to stay, to contribute, and to share small, and sometimes meaningful pieces of themselves, we should, perhaps, at times, take a moment, and be appreciative, because we are all more than archetypes and stereotypes and labels, both assigned and self-imposed. I believe many of you do find connection here. Beneath the never-ending feed of thoughts and ideas, yes so many repeated, there is substance. I've experienced it, and I feel the palpable, though sometimes distant, desire for it. Humans cannot live on surface alone. Finding a higher purpose in life, in your life, is a lofty goal, and one many will find they are inadequate to live up to. But if you look at it in less crucial or dire terms, life is about connection. And this cannot happen without some boldness and some bravery in expressing who you are. Doing this brings criticism and judgement, without question, but this level of honesty and directness in expressing your views, may also be the way to challenge them, and eventually find in you a better version of yourself. I believe #G@G lays the foundation for this. It is entertainment, and "a way to pass the time", yes, as I have read so many times, but it is also an opportunity to find who we are, and who we want to be.

I dedicate this to someone who is new in my life. I've spent the past few weeks getting to know them on a very deep level, and they have reminded me the power of not closing yourself off, or down, or away, but towards. We can learn from each other. We can find inspiration from each other. Sometimes that comes from others' pain, or circumstances, or bravery, or determination, or effort, or optimism... the list is long... and it is different for each of us, but I will leave you with this final thought - just don't forget to be open. It begins with this. Sometimes you must cast aside what you believed you always knew, or what always was, and allow yourself to be surprised. There are good people here, as there are out there in the world. You have only to look, and to listen, and be still for a moment, to find them.

Who Are We & Why Are We Here?
Who Are We & Why Are We Here?
20
8

Most Helpful Guys

• That was beautiful, Amanda. You have a huge heart as well as a beautiful way with words. Your way of looking at the world and finding meaning is compelling. You're a deep thinker.

Some things I like about GAG are:
    - It's anonymous compared to most other sites. I don't have to worry about alienating anyone that I know personally.
    - I rarely get judged for sharing questions or opinions.
    - The variety of topics is interesting. I learn a lot about people in general. And there are some really good hearted, helpful, playful, generous, empathetic, open minded, intelligent people here.
    - There is very little censorship. People can speak freely about all kinds of topics.
    - My Facebook feed is dominated by dark information about politics and world events. I learn a lot, but it gets heavy. And when people disagree it can get ugly. People can be very opinionated. Facebook is also highly censored. But GAG is an escape from all that. I'm not constantly dragged into the horrors of reality. Instead, I am often cheered by whimsical questions or inspired to think deeply and write expressively on topics that are interesting but uninvolved with current events. Some people here, including myself, enjoy learning about or freely discussing sex. GAG is the only place I know of where people can do that. And sometimes a MyTake or question inspires me to wax philosophical.

I guess in the end, GAG allows me to express myself more honestly than I can with anyone I know.
    Is this still revelant?
  • mk200195
    That's was B-E-A utiful ♥️
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• kymberz
    wow. this is very incredibly well-written. it has set off so many ideas in my head that to try and record anything coherent in response would simply come off as me sounding like a fruity, blathering idiot (and i am getting a reputation for such. geesh). the most poignant part is "don't forget to be open" and that part is so true. it is up to us to participate and give freely of our time and our experience and to try and help others here and in the world. because the world is full of wonderful people if you are looking for them. i have found a bunch here on G@G and it has made a difference already. i wish all the best for you with this new person in your life! this was truly a pleasure to read and i thank you for writing it!
    Is this still revelant?
  • 1stranger
    The world is much more beautiful with good people.
    And we're not alone here.

I haven't watched the movie you're talking about, but I'm thinking of watching it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your beautiful and sincere writing.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

618
  • Anpu23
    Wow, thank you for the great insight. Why am I on G@G is actually very simple. I enjoy giving advice, and rather burden those around me with lot's of unsolicited and, probably, unwelcome advice. I found a place that people not only tolerate but solicit my thoughts and opinions. What a great boon for those of us of a "certain age" a world of willing young people eagerly listening to our wisdom.
  • JohnDon9
    We are here indeed to make connections , and g@g unites all of us together , honesty respect and kindness , helping each other out , we may not be physically present but we will be there in a special corner ready to help out 😁
  • R3DthatDude
    To pass on some wisdom to someone who needs it or receive advice yourself if no one else near you is trustworthy. Proverbs 20:18 set plans under consultation, and wage war under sound guidance.
  • I am just a lonely girl, trying to connect to the world without bringing too much attention and trouble to myself
  • Eduardodealba
    For a second i thought you were thinking like me when im very drunk i think who am i, what am i made of. Why do i have 5 fingers in each hand, wow i have eyes. Sadly my alcohol problem has induced this cool mind state and now its permanent.
  • Well, I know where the Canadian Gold is! You are definitely a writer, playright, or similar...

some key points: "We look for connections, yet if and when we find them, we are often limited in the satisfaction we can gain from it."

"Sometimes you must cast aside what you believed you always knew, or what always was, and allow yourself to be surprised. There are good people here, as there are out there in the world. You have only to look, and to listen, and be still for a moment, to find them."
  • Rohan-Thanekar
    Read t "the laws of the spirit world book by khorshed bhavnagri",,, actually the information in it is written by actual soul not human, I'm sure I'll get all Ur answers
  • This is good stuff! Gag is totally the breakfast Club. That's such a great comparison.
  • Unit1
    2 People were too horny to keep their legs closed and I'm here as a result. Wading through the trashes and the never ending suffering of poverty.

but i fight it until i am dead.
  • Exorcist_Rampage
    We are human beings created in the image of God and here to shape up our Earthly life so that our spiritual home is Heaven and not Hell. We are here to praise God but some don't like doing their purpose and choose not to praise God.
  • Pejtu
    Nothing is everything and everything is nothing
    Wrap urself around this one
  • TheWeirdTaco2020
    Let's look at this from a Philosophical view point.

Me and you are thinking things everything in this world can be disproven or non-existent except for you referencing yourself saying "I" don't exsiste I'd impossible because you are referencing yourself.

We are brought from the ultimate reality and everything we see and feel is only but a representation of the entity in the ultimate reality

Time began and it has to end when we end we will enter this ultimate reality, this can mean what ever you choose it to mean we were out on this Earth by a great all powerful all knowing being, God. If your not a Christian go to a church service one day just to check it out
  • JustJen
    Only one reason. We all got too much time on our hands!
  • COMMODOREII
    I'm here to read you my takes and to answer you questions. Maybe bug you. And be your friend. 😋
  • hillbilly311
    Nice.. there's so much that we don't really know... about everything is based on a theory.. something to think about and keep in thought
  • moststrangestguy
    To fuck and have babies why do you keep denied all the guys there 1 job
  • Caplismdie
    You have only to look, and to listen, and be still for a moment, to find them.
  • Marie01995
    Well came out my mom womb that why just going through life.
  • This is so lovely. This is everything.
  • AngelLily
    One of the best Mytakes on here good job 🌟 ❤️
  • jcclifton
    Thank you.
  • Good mytake
  • Nuetrinos
    Watch the movie, Ready player 1.
  • bobzi1234
    Hello