"Magical" Green Tea

sherbearee

The media has often portrayed green tea to have a seemingly infinite number of health benefits.

"Magical" Green Tea

"Lose weight by drinking two cups a day!"

"Green tea burns fat!"

"Prevent cancer by drinking tea!"

blah blah blah. Sure, consumption of green tea has benefits; however, no food item can live up to so many miraculous health claims. People are often lured in by the promising results, only to be discouraged when the stubborn 10 pounds don't melt away. This doesn't mean you should ditch the cup of tea in favor of Coke, though. Green tea still has a few great benefits.

Here's a brief take on what scientific research has actually unravelled about this superfood.

"Magical" Green Tea

Lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

In 2011, a series of clinical studies were conducted and green tea, along with the polyphenols contained within it, was found to significantly lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglyceride levels (Harvard Health, 2012). Since LDL cholesterol and triglycerides are associated with clogging arteries, a reduction in the amounts of these compounds would lower the risk of heart disease.

"Magical" Green Tea

Possible regulation of blood sugar.

EGCG, or epigallocatechin gallete, is a polyphenol antioxidant found in green tea proven to influence the glucose level in the blood stream. Since EGCG mimics the actions of insulin and inhibit the liver’s production of glucose, this chemical reduces the amount of glucose in the blood. Recent studies suggest that these green tea polyphenols may reduce the amount of glucose that passes through the intestine and into the bloodstream (Pacific College, 2014).

"Magical" Green Tea

Promotion of mental concentration.

Although green tea contains caffeine, a chemical closely associated with anxiety and excitement, the L-theanine amino acid found in green tea produces a calming effect. This calming effect balances the stimulation from the caffeine, and thus results in a calm alertness, which promotes mental concentration (L-Theanine Benefits, Side Effects, 2015).

"Magical" Green Tea

Feeling of relaxation.

Generation of α-brain waves is considered to be an index of relaxation. In a study involving human volunteers, L-theanine generated α-waves in various regions regions of the brain within 40 minutes of oral administration (L-theanine—a unique amino acid and its relaxation effect in humans, n.d.). The lower concentrations of L-theanine found in green tea can also provide the same calming effect on the body.

"Magical" Green Tea

Sure, drinking green tea (or fluids in general) can promote satiety, and thus aid in weight loss; however there is no direct correlation between the two. Antioxidants (such as the polyphenol in green tea) have shown promising results in reducing the risk of cancer, but there is no concrete evidence to back the claim up. Obviously, these benefits, along with many others, are continuously being researched.

I'm a big fan of tea myself. Although the hype surrounding green tea is misleading - there's no harm in drinking a few cups a day (minus the tablespoons of sugar, of course).

Thanks for reading; I'd love to hear your input. cheers :)

Harvard Health, 2012

Pacific College, 2014

L-Theanine Benefits, Side Effects, 2015

L-theanine--a unique amino acid and its relaxation effects in humans

"Magical" Green Tea
9
1
1Girl Opinion
9Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• OrangeBoy
    Another bad thing...
    It dosn't allow our body retain calcium... drinking it regularly durind the day doesn't give you a a good chance to capture the calcium that your daily food gives it to you.

Wich is bad for bones, speciially for women. Attenttion to that.
    Is this still revelant?
    • sherbearee

Yeah, I heard about that too.
      Maybe that's why some people take milk with tea? I don't know. I need more calcium in my life. But I really don't like drinking milk...

• OrangeBoy

Avoid mixture them. Even coffee. It will hurt in your calcium gains.
      I read that after drinking some green tea, any calcium you consume after, will be affected to period of 2 hours or more.
      So, we are always getting calcium, since morning to night, and drink the tea like... 2 times per day maybe... we can see how much can influence on bones health.

The best is to get green tea with no cafeine, or the extract i think, im not sure (to get the benefits), but's it's way more expensive.

What do i do is eat natural iogurts 3 or more per day, eat a lot of vegetables vapor cooked (attention to iron levels), maybe 1 glass of milk to help and catch some sun to help. Exercice is important also. I've not drinking tea now, but i was a great consumer... :/

• OrangeBoy

I would say... maybe drink it before go to bed, but some people may find more difficulty to sleep? Dunno, try that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anon24698
    How do u make green tea ?
    Is this still revelant?
    • SIGguy

Like any other tea.

• sherbearee

well that ^
      or if you have loose leaf:
      -boil fresh water
      -rinse tea leaves with hot water for 2-3 sec
      -steep tea for 3-4 min
      :)

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

08
  • Fugue
    I'm not sold on all those properties. In fact, from what I've read, the weight loss property is a myth. But I don't care about weight loss, I'm underweight. I drink a lot of green tea because I like the taste, and because I hope there is some truth to the claims that it helps normalize certain hormones, which is something that can help against the anxiety that I suffer from.
  • ConsultantIsBack
    Agreed, good take. I take green tea extract tablets occasionally. Green tea is definitely advantageous, but it's a miracle worker in of itself. Looking amazing and feeling great comes with a holistic, healthy lifestyle and smart diet choices.
    • wouldn't you feel better drinking the real thing?

• @BertMacklinFBI I hate the taste lol

• ahh lol

• YusiBear
    media.giphy.com/.../giphy.gif
    This is Asian 101, no wonder we drink it!

Nice take, its cute but nut as cute as me!
  • HarmoniChaos
    Welcome to the world of advertisement. Did you know that water can make you fly and shoot rainbows out of your eyes. Buy our branded water, its tap water but with our sticker on it :p
  • YourFutureEx
    I take one cup every day. But my mom says, it affects reproductive power. I didn't research tho.
    • sherbearee

yum ^.^
      and whaa? lol never heard of that...

• This is real :/
      indianexpress.com/.../
      But we're safe because we don't take it excessively.

• sherbearee

though the study was conducted on fruit flies, right? I could possibly affect humans... to a lesser degree? but cool thanks :)

• Deathwolf
    Why not trade green tea for other reasons like pg tips... hmmm time to put the kettle on
  • Zorax
    Great Take, I love green tea :D
    • sherbearee

aw, thank you!! me too :)

• Zorax

You're welcome, great minds think alike :)

• ShayanMortazavi1
    That's interesting