8 New Wedding Trends

There are still people who are die hard about having a traditional wedding right down to playing here comes the bride down the isle, but there are others ready and willing to buck all traditions and do their own thing. Here are some new wedding trends that may be here to stay.

8 New Wedding Trends

1. Having a groomsmaid or a man of honor

It used to be a pretty hard and fast rule, that if you are the bride, you have all female attendants, and vice versa if you are the groom, but that didn't really solve the "problem" of having one or a few of the most important people in your life be of the opposite sex. Maybe you have no brothers or sisters or your best friend is of the opposite sex. On one of the most important days of your life, why not have them stand next to you, rules be damned!

2. Color is the new white

The irony of this "new" trend is that it's not new at all. Prior to Queen Victoria taking the thrown, and getting married, women used to wear whatever nice dress they had on hand to their weddings regardless of color. The trend of only wearing white or ivory colors, took hold in the Victorian era. Now things are changing again. Brides are wearing lots of pinks, champagne colors, red, black, blue, you name it.

3. Reception only weddings

More and more couples are doing away with traditional, some say stuffy and boring religious ceremonies, and having reception only weddings. The couples elope privately or with just a few family and close friends, and then have a secondary reception only party later so that they can just focus on having fun and really celebrating.

4. Having mom walk you down the isle

Traditionally it had to be your father walking the bride down the isle or at least another male relative or friend, but nowadays, if Mom is your everything, your only living parent, or you find it equally important to have her walk you down the isle with your dad, it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

5. Food trucks and fast food

Food at weddings used to be plated dinners or buffets only, but the trend of food trucks picked up whereby you hire a food truck which can make the food fresh and to order for your guests. Also there are a lot of people who want to do away with stuffy homogeneous food and go for the stuff guests love to hate to eat anyway, and opt for fast food options which now provide catering in a lot of cases.

6. Throwing a total theme wedding

Guests in costume, having a vintage themed wedding, paying homage to your favorite movie have become the trend. Just about anything can work. The trick for most savvy brides and grooms is to incorporate the theme of their choice without it becoming too much like Halloween or so over the top, that their wedding gets swallowed up by trying to adhere to the theme. A little nod here and there can go a long way as can a nicely executed theme that blends in seamlessly within the wedding.

7. Mismatched wedding party

Gone are the days of having to match every groomsman to every bridesmaid or to have either side in all the same clothing. Mixing and matching and having the wedding party wear what their heart desires have become a regular occurrence in weddings now.

8. Having a crazy photobooth

Everyone has props and such these days, but some brides and grooms take the photo booth up a notch with creative videography as well.

1318
BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• i'm at the age (well getting towards the end) when lots of friends are getting married so i've been to dozens over the last few years
    -the photo booth has a been a big one at a lot of the weddings i've gone to
    -i've seen a few brides walk down alone, with their partner (my wife and i did that) or with both parents. i think any method of walking down the aisle is cool
    -i like the idea of bridal parties having males in the brides side and women in the grooms side. why do we seem so stuck on teh antiquated notion that girls can only be close with girls... my wife and i had, and a few other weddings we went to had no bridal party at all
    -i've been to two celebrations taht were just the reception portion as the couple had gotten married at the courthouse. as an attendee who isn't big on the church or actual marriage portion it's fun to just go to a party
    -i've been to weddings with food trucks. i like weddings but standing in lines at a food truck in any manner of dress aside from casual wear isn't ideal to me. my bro-in-law has a restaurant that also operates a food truck so he's done a few weddings where he'll have the food truck on site but he still prepares the food in a kitchen so people aren't waiting in lines outside of a truck

Most Helpful Girl

• i like that mismatched wedding party. people look great in different things. you can maintain a theme without having like... one look only. those guys look awesome! and still coordinated too :D

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 17

• I believe in a big beautiful traditional wedding at a church and then a nice beautiful reception. I was the best man at a wedding once and to this day I'm very proud of it I give a big best man speech

• Very nice, I don't care what the party wears, long as they are there then I'm all good.

• Cheapest and easiest way is to have the couple get married by a judge/justice of the peace, then have a big party...

• I have a close girlfriend that is getting married but she didn't make me a male bridesmaid lol

Now im sad since its first on your list hahahah
    Guna show her this lol

• Awe, that sucks. Maybe she'll include you as a man of honor or other duty.

• Interesting 😊

• Intriguing

• I think that the theme wedding might be pretty cool. None of these really seemed like they'd be a big deal to me anyway.

• Whatever they prefer. :)

• I'd love a themed wedding.

• Trend number 1. not getting married because it's fucking pointless :D

• Interesting

• Nice take

• here's a great trend that men should start; dont get married to begin with. its a lose lose situation for men

• Why are you in the wedding topic, reading about wedding trends? Seems rather odd for someone who doesn't approve of marriage. *Sips cup of tea*

• Well, they do have a category about breaking up and divorce, so it would make more sense to put your information there as opposed to a post in a wedding category, about weddings for people who either like weddings or are planning to get married or who are married. But points? Eesh.

• Oh okay. Time ta go nowwwww. Good day to youuuuuu :)

• There is something queer about this take. but i can't put my finger on it

• It's amazing how much weddings have changed

• lol nice one

What Girls Said 12

• I've had two weddings, one big, one small. When I got married in 1992 it was very much "by-the-book" but I was able to throw in some personal touches. I did all my own flowers and center pieces. We served a special "Wedding Tea" as an iced tea, and as our toasting beverage. We were (are) both sober alcoholics and most of our friends were (are) so we were happy that the venue didn't allow alcohol.

My second wedding in 2005(? - I never remember the year) was very simple dinner with friends AFTER we had gotten married at the courthouse earlier in the afternoon. In the time between the courthouse and dinner, we had our pictures taken in front of every church and religious center in our neighborhood - we had a lot of different kinds withing a mile radius of home. After dinner we had people over for dessert and a cocktail (he's a social drinker, and it is not a problem for me to be around it anymore). I made my own wedding cake, and I took the leftovers with me on the honeymoon since it's my favorite cake and I wanted to have it instead of letting it go bad.

I really love that people are finding ways to add all kinds of personal touches to their weddings. I really did not enjoy my first wedding, it was too uptight and planned down to the last detail.

If I got married again, I think I would throw a costume party in my boss' backyard.

• I actually really like the groomsmaid and man of honor thing.

• Interesting Take, didn't know some of these trends

• I really like some of these ideas.
    So if I get married, mum wants to walk me down the aisle - I'd rather skip that and just come through the back.
    Obviously I want a taco bar. :)

• If I get married again it will be very unique, themed like a vampire theme, or in a cemetery... definitely not going with anything traditional... maybe a black or red dress. Then invitations will be unquestionably unique as well... I'm kinda sold on a Vampire theme. Now I just gotta get a man to marry me... lol

• You'll definitely have a memorable second wedding for sure!

• I love having food trucks. The more, the better.

• Nice! I had no idea about a few of these.

• Hahha very creative

• nice

• Hopefully this doesn't exist in my country.

• the walking down the aisle one stood out to me

• I like the color wedding dresses