Why Falling in Love With an Old Soul is Hard

The definition I have for an old soul is basically a young man or woman who does not really fit in the modern way of living and has this strange nostalgia for how things were in the past.

´´Someone who has a greater appreciation and understanding of things that might be dismissed by others their age. An old soul would have a different taste in things than the mainstream media. They are often wise beyond their age or appearance.

~ Anonymous

We love the company of the elderly.

This may sound strange but we have a better (of course a non romantic) connection with people who´ve been through a lot and are full of experiences and knowledge. We love to hear the stories from the elderly and we could talk with them for hours. We find a lot of common ground with them despite the great age differences. This might make it harder for us to date people from our age because we generally don´t find the satisfaction of a good conversation and we don´t feel understood. The elderly are full of wisdom, full of stories and sometimes we wish we could go back to their simple yet incredible life.

We don´t like modern dating.

We are holding our traditional values high and we do not care about society´s nonsense that it is not empowering and it is backwards or whatever. We view modern dating as a complete waste of time and we think of it as immature and destructive. We view one night stands, hook ups, promiscuity and casual sex as trash, meaningless, shallow and again destructive. We value virginity and chastity even though it might mean nothing to you. We value depth. We value a solid emotional commitment. Love is pure, it is about growing together and improving one another, not about giving/taking or just to fill up your loneliness. We value marriage. Quality over quantity, It is.

We love ´gender roles´.

Even though we think there is no such a thing as gender roles because it´s natural (see my other take about 50/50). Just like the old times, we want the man to be the breadwinner and the woman to be the caretaker. Doesn´t mean she can´t work, she can, just not full-time like the man. The man is responsible for the finances, the woman is responsible for the house. It really isn´t a wonder that this way is working the best out though.

We don´t believe in equality.

We don´t believe the male is equal to the female. That´s like saying the day is equal to the night. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are attractive in their own way. We don´t seek gender neutrality, making both genders lose their uniqueness. Plus, it wouldn´t work out because in the end the male is built differently than the female, mentally and physically. Forcing equality while it is technically seen impossible leads to destruction as you may have noticed nowadays. We expect a man to treat a woman like a woman and a woman to treat a man like a man.

We don´t fall for the average guy or girl.

We strongly believe masculinity and femininity is a thing just how it is backed up by science. We don´t fall for the average guy of nowadays who is embracing femininity and we don´t fall for the average girl who is embracing masculinity. We strongly feel attracted to those who are the gender they are and are embracing their own gender. Women being women and men being men.

We have strong morals.

We despise swearing, disrespect, disloyalty, dishonor, dishonesty, promiscuity and impoliteness. It´s rare to find someone who shares the same morals. The majority of today has at least one or more of these. We would refuse anyone who doesn´t have strong morals.

We have a strong sense of purpose.

We know exactly what we want and we know how to get it. Apart from the family life, we aim higher on an academical level as well. We could never work out with someone who has no ambitions and no purpose in life. We wouldn´t only get bored, we think of it as a waste of time of his or her life too, especially if life is giving so many opportunities to develop yourself in different ways. There is no limit and it will all benefit you in the end. We don´t fit into the ´entertainment´ society. For us, it´s all about hard work and development in different ways to become a better version of ourselves.

We have a strong sense of identity.

We have high standards because we know who we are and what we have to offer. Throughout years of developing ourselves intellectually (rationality, academically, languages, common sense etc), personally (character, maturity, confidence, wisdom, respect, etc) and physically (dancing, cooking, writing, sports etc), we don´t expect to date anyone who isn´t at least on the same level or higher. We have this need to feel impressed. If we don´t feel impressed, it will be nothing but maybe a friendship. We would never date someone who isn´t intelligent and hard working.

We know when to walk out of a relationship too. We would never let anyone walk over us, mistreat us, disrespect us and play with us. An old soul is more mature than his age peers. Our minds are mature. We don´t take any nonsense and we use our rationality instead of our feelings even when we have deep feelings. We have a clear view of what´s right and wrong.

Don’t expect us to dress provocatively.

We value elegance and dignity a lot. We want to be respected, it doesn’t matter whether someone finds us attractive or not. We´re not here to impress the public sexually nor do we seek any validation. We are comfortable with ourselves. What matters to us, is that we look clean, have our style, are comfortable and receive respect. Revealing or slutty clothes aren´t equal to beautiful. In our eyes it is trashy. Modesty is beautiful, which means no cleavage, not too much skin showing etc. The only way to get us dress revealing, is in private. We have an antique and elegant taste of sensuality though, which is nowhere as close as modern´s way of brutal provocative lewd kind of taste.

Our personalities are complex.

Throughout years and knowledge we have improved and discovered more and more from our personalities. Our personalities are probably the most intense and contain a lot of depth. We´re dreamers and thinkers by nature. We are passionate about learning. We think incredibly a lot, thinking deeply about a subject and going from one to another. We see deeply into the nature of reality. Having depth and seeking truth in a society that values materialistic status, objects, and superficial appearance can intimidate most people from getting to know us.

We have old ears.

We don´t like modern music and that might be a reason enough to not date someone. We love classical music, and all those old school ones. Metal, rock and what not sounds like trash to us. Mainstream music is 9 of the 10 times only about drugs, alcohol and sex, not only incredibly cringeworthy but someone who glorifies that is absolutely a deal breaker in our eyes. Music should be like art, it must hit you emotionally, it must have contained effort to create it.

We love solitude.

We don´t like to be social all the time. We don´t really like parties, drama, noisy places, crowds and what not. We actually enjoy reading a book, gardening or just researching an entire subject more. We need that time to sort our minds out and to do something which fills up our energy and satisfies our burning passion. We´re fine being alone and we don´t necessarily need friends in order to survive. If we like someone´s company more than our own solitude (happens when we love) then that means he or she is special to us and connects with us on a deep spiritual level.

Conclusion.

Falling in love with an old soul is hard because the chance that you will attract them isn´t big. Old souls usually go for other old souls who actually understand them. If you managed to attract an old soul and have passed those high standards then know that we expect you to meet our needs just like how we will meet yours. Apart from having an incredibly strong connection and a very interesting person to talk to, you´ll also experience another deeper kind of love and see other perspectives of life. It´s hard but it´s totally worth the effort, they say.

Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich. ~ Lao Tzu

1724

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 24

• Wow you certainly nailed me with this. I have always resonated with each point you mentioned. I never belonged here and now and never will. I was told very young that I was born old and wasn't sure at the time what they meant. Very deep and insightful on your part and this I think is beyond the scope of gag.

• Back then times were simple and people understood everyone around them. There was no fighting about who's the man of the house you knew the women was. Cause she worked the house cooking and cleaning taking care of the kids laundry a task that would take all day Then the husband comes home and help the wife cook dinner and as they sit down for there evening meal the kids say grace and after the meal they ask to be excused and go out side where the troubles have yet to start.
    What's so wrong with that? why did they want that to change? Kids were "raised " back then taught respect , trust and kindness. Now since all that have be removed the kids have nothing but nasty words a selfish heart and a Twitch account online showing the world there butt and chest. So that all the little pervs don't have to worry about looking at little jack though the window anymore just Log on to the internet and boom never have to leave the house. What a wonder world we live in.

• I can relate to most , I'd call myself an old soul but I disagree with some things you mentioned about equality and gender roles , plus you're talking about other people as if they were less which is not true they're just different not good or bad just different everyone lives his life by the way he receive it

• Thanks for explaining this in so much detail. I had heard this term but never knew what it really meant.

• Very interesting take - A lot of that would appeal to me but some of it would be "Too Old" maybe I am a "Middle Aged Soul" (LoL)

• Nice article! I agree with everything you've said here, especially your take on modern entertainment and gender roles...

• Excellent, but what are your beliefs?
    Let's say for example, will you be happy to become a devoted housewife?

• I prefer the woman to be a dominant tomboy who makes money while I cook and clean

Plus, metal women are sexy

• I guess I am an old soul then. I agree with most of this.

• I am one of the older ones on gag but you won't fall in love with me. 😆

• There’s a Pink Floyd song. “Wish You Were Here”...

So, so you think you can tell
    Heaven from hell
    Blue skies from pain
    Can you tell a green field
    From a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    Did they get you to trade
    Your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    Did you exchange
    A walk on part in the war
    For a lead role in a cage?
    How I wish, how I wish you were here
    We're just two lost souls
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Year after year
    Running over the same old ground
    And how we found
    The same old fears
    Wish you were here

• It’s lost souls and I always sang it as “two old souls living in a fish bowl”

• Old is a “relative” term now. Hippies from the 1960’s are “old souls”. I prefer to call this “traditional values”...

• I partly agree. However I think those genderroles puts too much pressure on men.

• I guess I'm an old soul then, but like how common is that anyways?

• You sound dull and someone who hates fun lol

• Old soul here, AMA.

• Nice Take, This is exactly how i feel about dating

• I can relate to most of these

• Interesting

• I do love solitude...

• Good take thanks

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 17

• Interesting take, most points are relatable for myself. But others not so much the non equality and gender roles..

• Excellent article. I hope all the "old souls" out there find their heart's desire - and true happiness. (Actually I wish that for old and new souls. ;) ) 💕

• I relate to some. Especially with elders. I have a soft spot for them and I bond with them easier. Mine are dead and so I miss having grandparents.

What do you think of the tv show mad men? You are basically describing those old times. And seeing how things were in that tv show makes me not want a life like that. They treated women like dumb animals and the husbands cheated on their wives all the time. Women were easily sexually harassed in the workplace. The old times weren't that glorious. But I miss how respectful and polite guys used to be.

• The asker is just clueless about the past

Women were treated as second-class citizens back then

• @xkildy Oh shit sorry I didn't mean to be rude. I apologize 😟

• 😊😊 no worries. and thank you

• some of the things you mentioned... I am not sure are included in the old soul deffinition per se... but ok

• im a fellow old soul. I can relate to a lot of this except the equality and gender roles thing

• SOME elderly are full of wisdom.
    That's the only part I would change.

• I can relate to this! I agree unless the part of the gender role and equality

• Old soul, and still managing to be a modern special snowflake.

• Nice take

• I can relate for most of the part.

• @JSkiy we must be old souls then ❤

• Nice myTake

• Interesting...

• me too

• Nice one

• I agree... I go across the country to spend time with a guy I love... we fit this to a tee...

• Good take