Read This Before You Just Give Up On Your Dreams

Embrace Your Dreams
Embrace Your Dreams

Most people have some sort of dream in life. A dream is a combination of a goal or set of goals you set for yourself in order to achieve something you feel you are passionate about, care deeply about, want badly, or need badly. Dreams, however, are hard won. They often take a lot of effort on our parts and a long journey to obtain them if they are even achievable for us. Along that journey many people crumble, fall, and give up, but before you do that, you need to consider a few questions that may help you hold on to your dream.

1. Are you over it already?

We change as people. When you were five, maybe your dream was to be a doctor, but along the way in life you realized blood freaks you out, and you hate working long hours. It's okay to be over it and want another goal, but ask yourself if you're over it because you are actually over it and wanting to move on to something else, or someone is telling or demanding that you should be over your dream. If you are still passionate about something and you still want to achieve it, then now is not the time to let go and move on.

2. Can you still afford to try?

Many dreams require some form of sacrifice, and often times that is a financial one. You may need to give up a lot to get to where you need to be, however, it is extremely hard to do most things in life if you are starving, homeless, penniless, or drowning in debt. You need to be reasonable with your dream if the financial consequence is you will be in ruins. Consider taking on a second job, rooming with friends, or cutting back on expenses that are not necessary to your survival. Sometimes thinking outside of the box can help you not just automatically throw in the towel.

Are you racked with doubts
Are you racked with doubts

3. Are you doubting your abilities?

This may be a time where you need to swallow your pride. If you find yourself on a constant road of rejection and push back, but the comments as to why are all the same---rather than just give up, actually listen and try to improve on that situation. If no one will hire you for your dream job, what extra qualifications and training or schooling can you get that can help you stand out as a candidate? Can you take on an internship? Can you get advice from someone in that position already? Maybe you need to move somewhere where the competition isn't as stiff. If you feel as though you are actually capable of doing what it takes to achieve your goal, then make it so no one can say no (or at least make it extremely hard) by going the extra mile.

4. Does no one believe in your dream?

Haters are going to hate. If you want to give up because everyone is saying your dreams are stupid or that you personally will never do that, look around and find someone who will stand in your corner. It's really hard to stay motivated every day especially when things aren't going right, but a friend or a family member who knows how hard you're working and believes in your same goal for you can help you get over those bad days to get to the good.

5. Is your health suffering?

Dream achievement can be extremely stressful. You NEED to find a work/life balance and if you can't, it is not worth it for you to be sick, or strung out, or freaking out every second in order to achieve your goals? You absolutely should take a step back and re-evaluate how things are going for you on a physical and mental level. Maybe you need to give your dream more time, or break it down into smaller less stressful goals, or maybe you just need someone else to actually help you. Do not be afraid to ask for help or to vent to someone you can trust. You don't have to do everything all the time by yourself or take on every single burden on the road to your dream.

Don't give up on your dreams
Don't give up on your dreams

There are many dreamers in this world who have been where you are where they are questioning if it's worth it or if they are willing to move forward to get what they want, but if your heart is still in it, the most important question of all, then do not give up on your dreams and seek out other solutions to the many bumps in the road that may come your way.

2033

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 33

• I tell you, its so tiring chasing your dreams.

Mine is opening my own business. I started the actual process 13 months ago thinking it would take about 9 months to open, and now its looking like 18. Delays everywhere. It is heartbreaking and expensive

• This is a dream I know all too well. My first two years of my own business were exhausting to the point of delirium. I was also still working two other jobs to make my dream possible so for two full years, I got literally 8 hours off a week where I wasn't working or sleeping. The only thing that kept me going was repeatedly asking myself two questions: do I still want this and if I gave up tomorrow, could I walk away with my head held high. I didn't want to give up and I knew that in my bones, so YES it is tiring, you're going to hate it to death at points, and it is expensive AF, but keep asking yourself those to questions and if it makes sense to you in your head to keep going, then don't stop.

• Great take! I am living my dreams mostly and they are expanding.

• Well my dream is something i can tell no one about and have only joked about it with a friend.

But my dream ain't exactly sane, so i will never do it. So i kinda have to give up and already have.

• You know what my grandma said
    If you follow ur dream you will end up in a scream - dont do tha because you will go insane and she was right

• i wanted to join the army. then i got diagnosed with bpd. i can't join bcs of it.
    i wanted a serious relationship. i did my best to maintain it and got betrayed for it. not to be a downer but it seems to me that dreams create false hope.

• No, I totally get it, I really do. I have health issues myself that derailed my life for a long time and so many including myself have been burned in matters of the heart. It is extremely hard to have your dreams deferred or ended by circumstances beyond your control---BUT---as much as it may hurt to let go of something you really wanted, a dream can change into something possible again. The possibility of a serious relationship is still definitely on the table for you. Trust and believe you are not unique in being hurt by someone you trusted. You can't allow yourself to get stuck and dwell on what could have been in either of your cases. Decide you want something more for yourself and keep searching, moving, coming up with a plan, and going for that new thing that will direct your drive. None of us are guaranteed a straight line to our happiness, but if you just give up on everything, is that going to make you happy not to care or even try to do anything else? I'm guessing no.

• Good advice that covers a broad spectrum. Don't give up on your dream just because it seems unlikely.

• Most people don't get to have their dreams come true no matter how many optimistic well-wishers wish them well on their way down to the gutter.

• I had two dreams
    1. Have a family of my own
    2. Become a Novelist
    I gave up on the first one as no one wants me. I'm working hard on the second one.

• What kind of novels are you writing?

• Well stop moping around and feeling sorry for yourself. It's not going to get you anywhere.

• @Lovi87
      I can't shut it off like a faucet.

• Dreams don't do you any good unless you do something about it. I dropped all my dreams a long time ago.

• I have a dream to become an author, now I'll try hard

• If they are even achievable for us? My dreams are gone no matter how beautiful someone preaches.

• Very good explanation. We should never give up our dreams in any and all circumstances.

• Most of my dreams surround love and women... which is why I'm often bitter and upset.

• Thank you, this was nice.

• Great take and so true

• I’ll never give up on my dreams! :)

• Interesting and inspiring take! Thanks :D

• I got to the second point and the answer is no lol

• Interesting take

• Good mytake, well written and makes sense

• I don't even have a dream, sadly

• hahahah

• Good take

• It's a decade too late for that.

• Yes you are right

• Thank you for sharing, I needed that

• Great take l always dream of nice things

• Goddamnit, more hippie bullshit.

• Inspiring and grounded take!

• My first dream as a kid was to be supper man I think at the heart of that was a desire for strength to be loved and have total freedom.

After that it was to be successful enough to have financial freedom , be muscular and get laid daily but with little direction on how to get there other than study and work out.

Then after a rough patch I found career direction now work as a junior software engineer with good hours enjoy it mostly now single so going to start dating to try to find someone in my area with the same sort of hours who's trust worthy where theirs chemistry and with a similarly high sex drive.

• Show more from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 20

• Ah, thank you for sharing this! It's so relevant to me right now! I recently decided to go back to school to get my Master's. I'm super excited and I already know of two schools that I want to apply to. Since it was a last minute decision though, I may not make the deadline for applications this year BUT if I'm unable to make it in time, I'm definitely going to apply next year, regardless.

My Bachelor's degree is in social work and I just decided that there's a lot of things I want to do that I'll need more education for, like working with military veterans, and taking this next step will make it possible to achieve that bigger goal. So, within the next few years, I plan to have my M.A.Ed or M.S. (depending on which school/program I choose) in clinical mental health counseling. :)

• My best friend is literally doing the same thing you're doing. She got her B.S. in Social Work and now is going back to school again to earn her MSW. I wrote this after being inspired by her journey and what she and her brother have been through to get to where they are now. It's truly one of those testaments to never giving up and fighting tirelessly for what you want despite intense odds.

Can I say I'm proud of you? I love to see people really go after what they want because in their stories, they often inspire others who may have lost their way or who have been searching for something themselves. When you get your degree you will really be able to help a lot of people who so desperately need a hand to heart and to know that someone in this world cares about them. Keep pushing---you'll get there.

• @Lovi87 Thank you! :)

• You're very welcome ^_^

• I really like the cover photo. Dreams change and become new dreams. Life leads the way, as long as you always have a goal or dream in mind that’s what will keep you
    Going.

Short term goals lead the way to long term dreams and potential.

• My dream is to be an author and a professional graphics designer.

• I just have to stop stressing in order to reach what I've dreamed of

• Great take ☺

• Nice take

• Thank you for sharing, great share!

• i still gave up

• very inspiring take

• My dream is to follow the sun...

• I’m still giving up

• Very interesting

• Good take

• Very nice

• Don't let your memes, be your dreams.

• Be a doer more than a dreamer. Just act on your goals.

• Im im college and i have to question, is it my dream or someone elses?

• Keep your dreams--just might have to adjust them along the way.

• I won't be able to achieve mine. I'm too poor.

• oh wow