1 mo

Just a small wave of existentialism.

When I was a kid, astronomy was my life. I used to stare at the stars all the time and point out the constellations in the sky. I used to be amazed by their beauty and mystery, and as a child, I hoped one day I could go to them.

Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. >Arthur C. Clark
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." >Arthur C. Clark

But as I got older, my view shifted away from the stars. It was focused on my bills, my complicated relationships, and my regrets. I learned that the stars in the night sky are not stars at all, but what is left of their light. Trillions of years of light traveling to us; seemingly eternal. I could never go to them.

You are free and that is why you are lost. >Franz Kafka
"You are free and that is why you are lost." >Franz Kafka

For the first time in many years, I looked up at the stars, and in the night sky I saw my favorite constellation, Orion; and it hit me that one day, when the light from those distant stars reaches its end, Orion will never be seen again.

Orion never really existed in my life time, nor in any other person's life time. Just the memory of it. Just the illusion of something that once was. And I realized, if something so vast, so seemingly eternal and wondrous is gone, then how small and insignificant...

are we all?

You, he said, are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain.
"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain."
Just a small wave of existentialism.
3
6

Most Helpful Guy

• AlexBlack007
    Astronomy is such a beautiful thing though... why think of ourselves as insignificant when we can thing that we're part of something so big we can't even imagine it. Glass half full? 🙂

I like to think the universe is one big life form and we're part of it's soul. I believe that if there is something called a soul, then we will go wherever we want once we're no longer tied to our bodies. And who knows... maybe spiritual existence is beyond time and space so maybe you can even visit your favorite stars that don't exist today. 😁
    Is this still revelant?
    • JC451

That is incredibly hopeful and profound. Here's to hoping it's true. 🥂

• Your answer reminded me of this... thankfully I was able to find it on YouTube lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhzvTksNFY

It's the ending scene of a film produced by the rock band Angels & Airwaves, which depicts an astronaut stuck in orbit until his eventual death. In the end, he explores the universe and is overcome with the best of the human spirit, experiences, and the feeling of human connection.

Most Helpful Girl

• anon1903
    beautiful post, mate. I've managed to lock that down inside my head, you make me wonder if I should let it out.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

25
  • skyboy64
    I feel really small and the earth feel small in comparison to others planets and looking at the stars our milky way not the candy bars is quite small , a dot inside another body of Galaxy a billion of them in a cone shaped milky way is a starfish shape inside a big cone , all those stars is a galaxy bigger than the milky way we live in those galaxy is smaller than the cone Galaxy. it take a million years to count all the galaxys as well as the stars inside the galaxys.
  • AbleLearner
    You're falling for the same trap Stephen Hawking fell for in his career, you are being mislead into believing Naturalism is sufficient to explain all phenomenon in reality. It isn't. Assuming we are insignificant because of the size of our bodies or because of the size of our home planet is misguided at best.

Free Moral Agency is a real thing; the Greatest thing in existence, so we are NOT 'insignificant". I do not believe we wink out of existence when we die either, because Free Moral Agency is a Metaphysical construction, not just a physical one.
  • Naxwi
    Ah early childhood existentialism. Took me a long while to shift my views from the insignificance of it all to something sustainable.
  • OddBeMe
    A person can only look at the sky for so long before getting bored.
  • Masteress
    I am in love with this post.
  • star43able
    My favorite constellation is virgo
    • star43able

It is my birth constellation after all

• yourfavperson
    Ok so why am i crying?