Are you okay sharing drinks/food with people, you don't know well?

I am not usually bothered unless i think they're unhygienic or something, apart from that i'm not fussed, but i know some people are bothered by sharing drinks or food with people in general because of germs and stuff.
I'm surprised how many people find it such a big deal lol, most people i know don't seem to care.

2140

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a funny question because I find this to be one of those things that's borderline divisive! I'm ok with sharing food with whoever, although I'm probably a lot less ok with sharing my drink. However, I've been around co-workers where it's just very clear that they aren't into sharing anything and it's funny (for me anyway) to watch those co-workers interact with co-workers who are totally into sharing. Like:

"Jason, what is that? Can I try a bite of that?"
    "How about I leave a bit on the plate and you can have the plate at the end."

Way to kill the whole team-building experience of a business lunch, Jason! That said, I wonder if I'm very ok with sharing food because as an Asian, it's common to have family style meals where you grab food using your own chopsticks. While at my parents' home (and mine) we use the concept of serving spoons and what not, I fully understand that this is an American adjustment and not something that is native to my parents' culture.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a bit of a germophobe, lol. I avoid sharing things like drinks, make-up, or anything that came into contact with someone else's skin and/or bodily fluids. I'd be alright with sharing a plate of fries, for example, but passing a sandwich back and forth... not too keen on that.

• Yeah, see the sandwich i wouldn't do unless i was in a relationship with someone lol, as thats kind of gross, but i wouldn't care about sharing chips or even sipping from someones drink quick if i'm really thirsty, i guess im just more laid back with that kind of thing :P

• I was surprised how many people found it bad i was expecting more people to not be bothered lol.

• For stuff like chips and popcorn, I'd be alright with it... as long as they weren't touch-sampling everything in the bag, lol. But, for drinks I'd be especially hesitant. Unless you know the person well, it's quite risky to swap saliva. And you are doing that in trace amounts when you drink from the same bottle or straw.
      Funnily enough, as a kid, I had no issues with sharing food and drinks. But, as an adult, I guess learning about biology and diseases triggered some latent paranoia. Thankfully, it's not too often that I'm in situations where I have to share food or drinks, anyway.