Are you okay sharing drinks/food with people, you don't know well?

I am not usually bothered unless i think they're unhygienic or something, apart from that i'm not fussed, but i know some people are bothered by sharing drinks or food with people in general because of germs and stuff.

I'm surprised how many people find it such a big deal lol, most people i know don't seem to care.

2140

What Guys Said 40

• I'm anxious about eating in public or with others in general, but drinks sure! I do that all the time.. No wait, you meant letting someone eat of my plate or something? Sure no problem.

• This is a funny question because I find this to be one of those things that's borderline divisive! I'm ok with sharing food with whoever, although I'm probably a lot less ok with sharing my drink. However, I've been around co-workers where it's just very clear that they aren't into sharing anything and it's funny (for me anyway) to watch those co-workers interact with co-workers who are totally into sharing. Like:

"Jason, what is that? Can I try a bite of that?"
    "How about I leave a bit on the plate and you can have the plate at the end."

Way to kill the whole team-building experience of a business lunch, Jason! That said, I wonder if I'm very ok with sharing food because as an Asian, it's common to have family style meals where you grab food using your own chopsticks. While at my parents' home (and mine) we use the concept of serving spoons and what not, I fully understand that this is an American adjustment and not something that is native to my parents' culture.

• NOT any big deal at all
    except when they don't pull their load or take forever to order persnickety, then make all rush to leave
    Vote: not a great place for business that requires note taking and memory of details UGH

• It's sexy.

• I used to be. Not so much anymore. I work construction in Las Vegas. During the summer months it can get pretty damn hot. Water is essential and on the hottest days I don't much care where it comes from or who was drinking it before me.

• I don't care much... I take used dishes out of the sink to plate something sometimes! (I live with 5 other people) Dirty dishes aren't too bad for me anymore... because I think I've developed an immunity to germs! I haven't gotten seriously sick in 3 years! The last cold I had only lasted an afternoon!

• I am not, if i can´t know how hygienic a person is, sorry, but i wouldn´t be willing to shared food or drinks, for each their own cup/plate.

• depends on their outer look nd how they smell and hygiene
    that tells me if il get ebola by sharing food or il just share food

• Yes I do care.

And you might be ok with it now, but later on when you catch something then you'll be sorry.

• Yea, it's a rare situation. I can't imaging having to share a meal with someone i don't know well. But in principle, i have no problem doing it

• I'm okay with sharing as long as they don't actually drink from my glass or eat from my plate.

• Just as you've said. As long as they're hygienic, and not like ill or something. I really don't mind. It happens more or less daily at work anyways 😅

• nope

• Nope.

• I don't share even if I know them

• eww. no

• I like sharing my food / drinks I'm all cool about it.

• No i am not.

• I'm the same as you

• Emm nope I could just leave the whole stuff for yoy

• Hell no, not with a stranger.

• Only with people that I know because I know they are hygiene.

• I'm bothered by it, sorry.

• EWWWW! That's just nasty. I would only do it with my girlfriend if I had one.

• I don't even share drinks or food with people I'm closest to
    (I'm a germaphobe)

• Yes I am

• I think it's really manky to share, because of germs and what have you.

Simples...

• Depends on the person's hygiene.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 21

• I'm a bit of a germophobe, lol. I avoid sharing things like drinks, make-up, or anything that came into contact with someone else's skin and/or bodily fluids. I'd be alright with sharing a plate of fries, for example, but passing a sandwich back and forth... not too keen on that.

• Yeah, see the sandwich i wouldn't do unless i was in a relationship with someone lol, as thats kind of gross, but i wouldn't care about sharing chips or even sipping from someones drink quick if i'm really thirsty, i guess im just more laid back with that kind of thing :P

• I was surprised how many people found it bad i was expecting more people to not be bothered lol.

• For stuff like chips and popcorn, I'd be alright with it... as long as they weren't touch-sampling everything in the bag, lol. But, for drinks I'd be especially hesitant. Unless you know the person well, it's quite risky to swap saliva. And you are doing that in trace amounts when you drink from the same bottle or straw.
      Funnily enough, as a kid, I had no issues with sharing food and drinks. But, as an adult, I guess learning about biology and diseases triggered some latent paranoia. Thankfully, it's not too often that I'm in situations where I have to share food or drinks, anyway.

• Drinks are hard no. Food depends on how well I know you.

• I don't mind too much

• Actually, I used to think it was disgusting. Until like a year ago😂

• I guess i only care if i think they're gross or unhygienic, otherwise i guess i'm not bothered because i don't see the big deal if they're not going to infect me with something then no biggie lol.

• Yea lol same here

• I don't mind germs and stuff but...

• Personally, I wouldn't want to. And I wouldn't share a drink with ANYONE, really. The thought of sharing saliva via a drink is disgusting to me.

• I've made a few exceptions for close friends but I'm not a fan of sharing either.

• Depends on the person

• No sharing, no... we did it when we were kids, things are more serious now I guess..

• No, I'm not. They might be sick or have a disease.

• No not if I don’t know them well

• I always share if someone asks because im bad at saying no to people 😂 I just want have the food/drink all for myself. I dont think its gross tho.

• Yes, I love sharing but I scorn just a little and I like to wipe off the bottle's mouth before I drink it haha that's just me but otherwise, I love sharing with everyone.

• I’ll share with my friends and boyfriend. I don’t think I would share with people I don’t know.

• I couldn't care less about the germ side of sharing food, I just really like food. You know you gotta be special if I ever share food with you
    Drinks, I don't usually care, my friends don't even ask me

• Depends on the food.

• no.. im not a germophobe but not people i dont know well

• Ugh. No.

• It's never ok.

• I don't share my food/drinks with anyone other than my mum.

• I only share with my friends. I wouldn’t share with someone who I don’t know.

• Nope I don't even like buffet