27 d

Does your home have a fire extinguisher?

Typical home fire extinguisher
Typical home fire extinguisher

Experts recommend that every home have at least one fire extinguisher, in a place where it can be easily accessed... and regularly checked to ensure it is charged.

When I was living alone, I had two extinguishers in my apartment. One was near the fireplace and the other was in the dining area next to the kitchen. They were each mounted to the wall. My SO thinks fire extinguishers are ugly, not aesthetic, and our extinguishers are hidden behind clothes in a closet. I lost the argument with her a long time ago about this, and decided there are more important things to fight about.

Do you have fire extinguishers in your home?

Do you check regularly that the extinguisher is charged? Is it easy to access if/when needed? Do you know how to use it?

Please vote in the poll below, and post a comment if you want to give details.

Yes, I have ONE fire extinguisher in my home
Yes, I have MORE THAN ONE fire extinguisher in my home
No, I DON'T HAVE a fire extinguisher in my home
No, that's what the FIRE DEPARTMENT / BRIGADE is for
Select gender and age to cast your vote:
Updates
27 d
Experts recommend a fire extinguisher be located near the most likely places a fire could start. For most homes, that would be the fireplace, kitchen and furnace. They also recommend that the fire extinguisher not be too close to those places. If a fire starts, you need to be able to reach the extinguisher. They also recommend that you periodically check the gauge that the extinguisher is charged (in the green) and familiarize yourself with its operation.

That's it for this Memorial Day PSA.
Post Opinion