Is it socially acceptable for Asian women to be underweight?

I like skinnier girls!

I have found that most of the girls that I really like are Asian. Some of these Asian girls are VERY small and skinny. Often to the level that would be considered anorexic in the USA. That is, American women have to having an eating disorder to be that skinny.

It doesn't seem these Asian women have eating disorders though. Some might, but many are just very thin naturally and with a particular diet.

So, two questions:

Is it more socially accept in Asia to be underweight?

And

Is the low Asian weight acceptable because most are not getting there by doing dangerously unhealthy things?
Part of the reason I thought about this question is because I started to date a 21 year old Chinese girl. She is skinny but has a nice healthy body. She eats like 5 meals a day.

She was saying that she was shocked that here in the USA she wears a size XS and often clothes marketed to teenage girls. Where as in China she wears a size medium. She is generally on the medium small size of other Asian girls I have seen.

97

Most Helpful Guy

• It's the diet and the regular exercise. Very few have mental issues with food, they just don't eat fatty food, meat, and don't intake as much sugar. They aren't anorexic either, just naturally small-boned.

Don't they look fabulous?

It's not acceptable to be overweight in Asia. Your own friends will call yoou out and say you're fat, they don't sugar or fat-coat it and tell each other they are curvy.

• The cultural thing is probably the difference.

• haha I said that! (referring to first comment)

• I should add, that being in China for 5 months, family members and friends tell you that you look like you gained weight. They are commenting on their overall health. It is not like in the USA calling someone fat.

But back to the thin Asian women, it is all in the diet.