My boyfriend hurt my wrist (kind of long)

I'm sure this will sound stupid, but I'll try to explain it the best I can.

My boyfriend works 10 - 12 hour days and his job requires a lot of physical labor. He's been exhausted and stressed out lately. He came over after work to pick me up, then went to run a couple errands. He was extremely cranky and irritable when he picked me up, everything was making him angry or have an attitude.

On our way to get food, I changed the radio station because that stupid Gangnam Style song was on. He completely overreacted, yelled at me, pushed my hand away from the radio, and then put the song back on. I was kind of fed up with his attitude at that point so I got out of the car when he stopped at a stop sign.

I'm not denying that I didn't overreact by doing that, but this is where he started behaving totally out of line. He pulled over in a parking lot, started following me down the sidewalk. I was in the middle of calling my friend to pick me up, but my boyfriend took my phone and told the kid he would kick his ass if he picked me up.

My boyfriend had my phone, I asked him 50 times to give it back. He refused, so I tried to take it out of his pocket and he grabbed my wrist/hand really hard and twisted it, I guess. My wrist has been throbbing all night. I never thought he would do something like that.

He did apologize and he seemed to actually mean it, but the fact that he stole my phone and then physically hurt me, is kind of a concern. I'm not afraid of him but obviously I feel like I have to be more careful about what I do or say now, because I don't want him to react like that again.

I've always heard "if a man physically hurts you once, he will keep doing it and it will only get worse". Is that true in most cases or should I trust him not to do it again, since he has been super stressed about work and he seemed genuinely sorry?

410

Most Helpful Guy

• He probably just kind of strained your wrist a little bit by turning it farther than you would normally on any given day. I'd give it a day or two and if it doesn't feel better get it checked out. I had a fractured arm from my hand getting bent back too far and I was only able to rotate my wrist 90 degrees where normally I would be able to rotate 180 degrees. So if you are still able to rotate your wrist around the same as the other arm it's probably just sprained a little bit and not broken. I would be a little bit concerned about someone that takes his emotions out on others even though they have nothing to do with it. Imagine what he'll do to you if you were the actual reason for him being mad. Now this could have been just a fluke that he will learn from but like you said just kind of be more cautious next time.