Home Chats 11 d

Should you marry for love or stability

Anonymous
Should you marry for love or stability

We all know the sayings that love conquers all. But when you fall out of love with someone I believe it’s stability that gets you through.
In all honesty I am a hopeless romantic. Love watching the romcoms, also hoping that one day I might find my true love.

Should you marry for love or stability

I honestly also think about being stable. I like to work on myself and being able to bring something to the table. I also would like and require my husband to be to do the same.
i’ve often always thought of having children before having a husband which is kind of sad but in this generation it seems possible.

So the question still lies should you marry for love or Stability?

Should you marry for love or stability
16
5

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    Both I guess. Completeness is a good way to look at it. Does the other person add to your own existence. All the way from love, through companionship, friendship, to someone to hold bar your hair when you're being sick. A marriage can, and probably will, be testing but if you're both in it for the long haul you can make it work. If you're with someone who loves you, you always have to remember what you're losing if you give up on the relationship, not just what you fantasise about what you might gain.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Don’t you think that’s asking for too much?

Most Helpful Guy

• Iknowbestgirls
    Of course for love! Haven't you heard that living on a prayer song?
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

415
  • markml
    Stability...

Because LOVE is ultimately a choice.

At the beginning of a marriage (or any relationship really), there is what one of my friends likes to call the "honeymoon phase".

During that phase, both of you are embarking on something new, so it's really exciting. And the hormones are very elevated, so everything seems to come naturally and you both are more willing to overlook downsides of the relationship (because that's what high hormones do). But eventually those hormones level off, and from that point you have to work to make the relationship work.

Serial daters are almost always people who are addicted to hormonal high they get from a new relationship, and haven't quite figured out that this isn't meant to last. So they're constantly embarking on new relationships to get their fix of that high.

I suspect that for some people who get married and divorced a lot, they have the same problem.

And the term "falling in love" really refers to getting that hormonal high. I think that people think of this as something really special, when it really isn't. So long as you haven't done it so much that your body is tired of it, it's relatively easy to fall in love. And hence, it shouldn't really have a ton of weight in deciding if marriage is a good idea.

It may seem a little odd to marry someone you never "fell in love" with, so I'm not saying that's what you want to do. But... you need to consider that your hormone levels will also fluctuate over time, independent of who you date.

For instance, with the current person you're dating, maybe you never got quite as much of a "honeymoon phase" high as you did with someone you dated 5 years ago. That doesn't automatically mean that the dude/girl from 5 years ago was better marriage material. It could instead just mean that 5 years ago, your hormones were naturally peaking and it was just luck who you dated at the time became the target of those hormones.

I know that talking about hormones and chemistry as this biological probability distribution doesn't sound particularly romantic, but that's what I think it ultimately is.

The real romantic part of "love" comes when two people choose to love each other. I think that when both people have the attitude that love is a choice, and it's up to them to make the effort to keep the fire going rather than just "hoping to feel it", the hormonal equilibrium ends up being a lot higher than it is for couples where one partner is not trying so hard.

I think that those couples everyone is jealous of because it looks like their "love" hasn't changed from the day they met are partially an illusion. The hormonal high has dropped for them too, but it's just less noticeable because each day they're putting effort into loving each other. They're not so foolish as to believe that "love" comes without effort.

So then, if that's understood, the only other thing to figure out is what's going to make the marriage stable, and that's the primary concern.
  • Newhead
    We should always marry for love because if it's real everything else will follow, God doesn't want his people to suffer so God doesn't agree with false love. That being said, some people's path may be to first marry for stability and then later find true love, because we're here to learn our individual lessons.

As for me, all the marriage proposals I got for marriage were from men I didn't love but they were all well off, because I declined, it led me down a path of stripping and sex work because I had a hard life, and hard time keeping a job not being taken seriously because of my looks regardless of my education and skills, but that was my life path.

I could never go home to someone and lay in bed with them knowing I do not love them, but who am I to judge if others are cool with it? Now that I am out of that lifestyle, I am celibate and able to choose true love or die alone, fine by me. While friends of mine are still stuck in something they thought was love, because they settled straight out of high school and are now ashamed to call it quits.

Some people also still are together because they built a foundation of wealth with the wrong person, and may have to leave all that behind and start over with the right person. it's up to you to figure your own path out because there is someone out there for everyone. But just remember, with the right person everything else will follow, you will not be settling.
    • Finchie40

Exactly what she said , it’s pointless to marry someone for stability over love , without Love you will be living a life of misery , Good things happen to people that love each other and stand by each other , it won’t always be perfect but when you are with someone that loves you like you love them getting over those road blocks together is easier then doing it alone , when someone is selfish and only really cares about themselves they will never experience true love , Love only comes when selfishness is removed , you shouldn’t get into a relationship to be single , supporting each other and wearing each other’s shoes is where love grows

• Newhead

@Finchie40 Truth.

• Finchie40

@Newhead Most people don’t do this and that’s why their relationships don’t last , they only do what’s best for them without including their partner

• lucas262
    Girls. Imagine being the husband of a woman who your in love with but who married you for stability.

Essentially she settled for you. True love dosnt settle for 2nd best.
    • Anonymous

And honesty I can see why that is OK now. You don’t have to exactly love someone think about the arrange marriages that people have.

• Anonymous

Eventually they fall in love with them

• lucas262

Sometimes they dont.

• Smeeg
    The question should first be, what is the purpose of marriage and who established it?
    • Anonymous

Actually men did just the bra. Back then women weren’t equal to men at all they were trade it is livestock or also ways to unite families for money power and wealth

• SourabhKumar
    Marry for stability. Love can happen later with time...
  • hellionthesagereborn
    How are you defining love? Most people think love is passion but it isn't. Those butterflies are hormones that get you to be with some one, but that isn't love. Love is what happens after the butterflies goaway, when its just you two and no hormones to blind you to who the other person is. Its the communication and the work you put into your relationship. Thats why you can fall out of passion but never love, because love is deliberate, either you are building it or your not.

So I don't think this question is actually applicable since it seems to confuse passion and novelty for love which is work and stability (and by extension contentedness).
  • Zelda_5
    Love, but not just love. I'd also want stability but I won't marry just for stability.
  • Maspolomas
    For me it is both but as of lately I’m the one working she’s just part ime
  • Bhavin2184
    Both..
    • Anonymous

How don’t you think that’s asking for too much

• "Stability" is a great euphemism for $$$
    • Anonymous

I’m not necessarily saying money but I am saying some type of foundation

• whtguy1986

Do you mind if i ask what foundations you mean?

• Anonymous

Meaning to be able to take care of yourself before another person comes in. In my case I want to have a job I have my house I have my car I don’t want you to come in and feel like you need to take care of me or I’m taking your money I don’t want that. But you can build with me and we can have more together

• CubsterShura
    Both are important.
  • malik_yashvardhan
    Nice MyTake.
  • Love of course
  • killerboots
    Stability since marriage is a business proposition
  • Anonymous
    It depends on what you mean by stability.
    • Anonymous

Being able to maintain and take care of yourself

• Anonymous

What about a person who is willing to work on a marriage rather than leave if times get tough?

• Anonymous

If you get married to someone you should already have that mindset to work on it when times get rough it even says that in the vowels. That’s normally if you love them.

A lot of people don’t think of marriage as that they Moore think of it as a business contract when it doesn’t work out they leave and it’s normally because of money

• Anonymous
    Why get married when you can fuck and keep your stuff?
    • Anonymous

Because at the end of the day I don’t wanna go home alone and not with just some stranger I met and I would like to build and have children with someone as a partner

• Anonymous

Sure, shoulds great til want to take my house, my car, my cat, my 401k, MY KIDS, and of course my money to support you when we are no longer married. Where is my incentive? Thats right, it doesn't exsist.

• Anonymous

Its cheaper to rent it then buy it...

• Anonymous
    Neither if you are male. Marriage is a terrible deal for men.
    • Newhead

Not when you marry the right person, but it's up to you if you want to go around with that attitude.

• Anonymous

@Newhead Finding the right person is like looking for a needle in a hostile haystack. Not worth the time or pain.

• Newhead

We just need to get comfortable with being by ourselves until our soulmate arrives.

• Anonymous
    Both. You shouldn't marry until you are both in a place where if anything happens, you can afford it.
  • Anonymous
    You shouldn't stay in a relationship you aren't happy in solely for stability. Sadly a lot of women do. Then wonder why guys don't want to marry in general.
    • Anonymous

But if you’re a guy in this situation shouldn’t you be happy that you got the girl

• Anonymous

Not if you're not happy with her. Not fair to either one of you. Then it's more like you're using them then love them.

• Anonymous

It just said sadly a lot of women do.