Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.

YaBoiJacob

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I personally don't experience much hate, but that is mainly because I have kept quiet about my being Bi. Living in an ultra conservative area, I see a lot of arguments from their side. (which sadly consist of a lot of biblical text) I'm not against Christianity by any means, and I would consider myself a Christian, (but in America anyways) it just seems like we can't get past the separation of church and state. The rainbow flag is considered by many a symbol of LGBTQ+ pride, while certain christians claim that it was stolen and should be given back.

LGBTQ+ members holding a large flag during a march

I think it is not much to ask for, equal rights wise, to be able to purchase a house when I grow older without the worry of my gender preference being a factor. And as for the "the Bible condemns same-sex relations", I have read the Bible, I respect your point of view, but I also think that there is some flaw in the interpretation of the verses you are using.

But, as always, in certain situations you can only wish that things were different.

6
41

Most Helpful Girl

• icequeen03
    I agree. A disagreement over how someone is should be no reason for them not to be equal when they're hurting no one being themselves
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree completely with you, but remember, things are at least sort of changing in the right direction, albeit slowly.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

540
  • Sweetener_
    You're deceiving yourself brother. You can't be a homosexual and a Christian at the same time because there are two different spirits.
    No matter our proclivities or attractions, we cannot continue to define ourselves by the very sins that crucified Jesus and at the same time assume we are right with God. Paul lists many of the sins that the Corinthians once practiced (homosexuality is on the list). But in 1 Corinthians 6:11, he reminds them, “That is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” In other words, some of the Corinthians, before they were saved, lived homosexual lifestyles; but no sin is too great for the cleansing power of Jesus. Once cleansed, we are no longer defined by sin. And there's no "flaw" or need for an interpretation, the Bible is clear on homosexuality. Leviticus 18:22 (KJV) Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (KJV) Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And not only did the LGBTQ corrupt the rainbow but they also named it PRIDE. Willingly boasting in their sin.

Proverbs 16:18-19 (KJV) Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
    Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

1 Peter 5:6-7 (KJV) Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
    Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

God loves you, and God’s forgiveness is available to the homosexual just as it is to the adulterer, idol worshiper, murderer, and thief. God promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 4:13).
    • msc545

Ignore this woman. There is always one in every bunch.

• Sweetener_

And there's always one in every bunch that chooses to turn a blind eye to what the Word of God says because it doesn't please their flesh. I'm so sorry for you because you're lost. I'll pray for you ❤

• msc545

Do you have any idea how disgustingly offensive your post is? People that are gay are not gay by choice, and being gay is not a sin. What is sinful is trying to shame someone for it as you are doing.

• Toast792
    I think people need to grow up. this is part of the reason I left that religion in the first place. Let people do what they want. It doesn't really affect you anyway. Wouldn't you rather see people happy then hear they committed suicide bc they were told there 'was something wrong with them' and they 'should go die?' And Christians are supposed to be the (self proclaimed) 'Peaceful and accepting community that just wants to help people live their best lives' yadda yadda. whatever.
    • what if i told you it did hurt people?

democracy depends on compromise to work, the more types of people there are the harder it is to find common ground and thus compromise. eventually gridlock sets in, people are too different to get along and we inevitably destroy eachother

democracy cannot exist with diversity; not for long

• Toast792

@007kingifrit This kind of thing really isn't that important though, what you say would make sense if people were arguing over something 'life or death' but something this simple should at least be able to be overlooked. People should shift their concerns over to something that greatly affects the nation rather then 'yOu lIkE sOmEoNe I dOn'T wAnT yOu tO lIkE? hOw dArE yOu!' if it bothers you that much then just ignore it.

• @Toast792 Real Christians don't tell people to die or commit suicide. Accepting is what the world wants everyone to be. So we should be accepting of rape and pedophiles? Those things are unacceptable to most of society. So was being gay up until recent times. More vets commit suicide in a day than any gays, but does anyone give a shit about them? Gays act too entitled when they are no better than straights. And that is what people have an issue with. And it does affect us when they try and push their life style on us, the same way you rail against Christians for doing the same. Kind of hypocritical don't you think? I don't know what religion you were part of but men today want to be tickled by what they want and accept everything that most people find abhorrent and not what God says. Who will be your final judge? God or men?

• strawberrylipstick
    going by their logic:

if we really "stole the flag" from christians and everyone else (literally including god himself) then we are more powerful than god and therefore we should rule the world
  • Jamie05rhs
    That was a very respectful and well thought-out post. I first want to start out by saying that I respect you, and I value your contributions to your community and our country.
    I personally am one of those Christians who believes that the homosexual lifestyle is not a correct way to live.
    I do, however, think you should have equal rights. With the only exception being the adoption of children.
    • YaBoiJacob

Thanks, that means a lot. This is why I stay, people who will respect others opinions even if their not their own.

• Jamie05rhs

No problem, brother. :)

• razelove
    You have every single right that a straight person does, what you might not have is an availability of partners because they're on the DL because of your age. One of my family members living out in Mississippi had that issue, and it made him fairly depressed and moody, you know, not getting laid or having a boyfriend for stretches of years at a time, then having to settle hard.

It's really cities vs. more rural. Being gay isn't a majority thing, it's a small percentage, so if you live in a small area, there will be few people in your dating pool, friends, as you referred to churches. Moving to an area with a higher population density, be it in Texas, Pennsylvania, what have you there will be more people who are outliers, enough so to make their own places to feel comfortable, that you could feel comfortable in too.

Bide your time, you have 3 years until you turn 18, pick a college elsewhere, learn ways other people live in other places, look back on your folks and your home town fondly when, you know, you're not living there anymore.

Don't expect other people to change for you, change your situation for the better, you know, when you can. Teenage years suck for everyone, not just because you're gay. I'm pretty sure mine were awkward and tense with not being able to fit in anywhere too, but for the life of me I can't remember them.
  • all people should have equal rights to live live to the fullest. If they are adults, they can make the decisions for their lives... as long as they are not imposing their will upon another.

You have rights and you have responsibilities as an adult. People forget about that.

What you don't have the right to do is project your beliefs onto someone else or physically impose upon another. That is where things get messed up. These either are or can be mental/emotional issues and people are emotional beings and can be impacted negatively. Too many children are walking around with the question "am I bi", "what sex am I"? That did not exist when I was younger. That is totally F'd up because of a few people who are Fd up. It's sick, and it's wrong.

That's not your fault, just saying...
    We have hormone issues in this country and maybe the world. That should be obvious. Our society has "normalized" abnormal and made "normal" to be bad. It's human nature to do this, but it's messed up.

To me it is simply a convenient form of population control by way of some unforseen hands or mistakes in environmental policy.
  • TOTEMPLASTER
    If you are an American citizen, you already have 'equal rights'.
    Asking for more means you want special rights and for that wish you can go f*ck yourself, narcissist whiner.
  • Bat-Perv
    You have equal rights but don't expect special treatment Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.
  • JuliaStyles
    Equal rights are one thing but when they feel entitled and have to play the gender card when straight people can't is another. In my state a bakery didn't want to make a wedding cake for a gay wedding. A straight person, if someone didn't want to make him a cake they would just go to another bakery. But gay people had to make a big stink about it and put the bakery out of business. Now what if those bakery owners didn't want to make a cake for a straight person because it violated they religious convictions because the person wanted a dick and pussy on it? Could they sue for that? I'm sure only a gay person would make an issue of something because they think their rights are more important than someone else's rights, which doesn't make them equal. Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.Only gay rights matter, not someone's religious rights unless it is for wearing a burka- it's like Reverse Discrimination.
    • People have no respect for each other anymore smh

• RingOfFire
    You do have equal rights. What equal right do you think you don't you have?

Maybe you are confused. You do NOT have a right to have everyone else approve of your lifestyle. No one has that right. Its up to you to understand that you don't have a right to that and some people will disapprove of it. They have as much right to disapprove of your lifestyle as you have to live it. Disapproval of your lifestyle is NOT a violation of your rights because you don't have a right to approval.
  • Haha!!!

Good luck with this thread. I think you are probably the only gay guy here who may not be a trump supporter.
  • ItsTheNephilim
    I don't see a reason why there be so much pride rallies and all. Equal rights, fuck yeah. Pride? Uhh... pointless in my opinion.

For the religious people who are too bothered about other people's lives, your God created you, your God created a person belonging to the LGBTQ community. Your God can handle him/her, it's under his will that the said person is the way he/she is. No need for you to interfere unless they are committing some kind of crime or forcing anything on you.
  • HikerDude
    What the hell are you talking about? No one is going to even care who you fuck when you go to buy a house, let alone try to stop you from it. Gay people have equal rights. What they really want are special rights.
  • Hydra6544
    1. There are only two genders end of story
    2. the rainbow was a symbol from God as a promise to never flood the earth again.
  • jshm2
    Nope. You shouldn't on those grounds.

There is only so many pieces that the pie can be cut into. Societies cannot look after everyone equally. It's just not viable.
  • bamesjond0069
    "... but I also think that there is some flaw in the interpretation of the verses you are using."

Nope its plain as day and written multiple times that its bad. You are under the influence of a demon if you think the words don't mean what they say. I see this all the time, Bible says specifically one thing and people say it means the opposite. Smh. How intellectually lazy to just lie. Which is another sin by the way.
    • As a Hebrew speaker. almost all of those verses were referring to pedophilia not homosexuality

• So all the other thousands of hebrew scholars over thousands of years from different countries and backgrounds are wrong. And some pink on gag has proved them all wrong. Sorry if i doubt you.

• RationalMale
    What I see a lot is people in your lifestyle hating regular people. And seriously, if you need to host massive parades to tell everyone that you are gay and want to bang men--you need to get out of the house and get a life.
  • Because there people whom you like to sleep with has nothing to do with weather or not you should have rights, I’m on the far right and I’m saying this
  • gotc147
    You already have equal rights, if anything you have the landscape tipped in your favor.
  • es20490446e
    Man, it isn't because you are bi. It's just that some people have opinions about everything. They are just wrong.
  • Juxtapose
    I have lived north most of my life as a bisexual man and have had no problems. Your solution seems to be easy, move out of the south.

Whenever I visit the south it feels like a different country entirely and I really don't like it there.
    • Juxtapose

@Sweetener_ Some retard blocked me in your comment thread.

• AmericanGuy123
    It shouldn't even be a question. Although I don't agree with the LGBTQ+, why not just allow them equal rights? We all should just live and let live.
  • SomeGuyCalledTom
    There's a difference between "not having equal rights" and "having to deal with people who don't recognise the equal rights you in fact already have." Bible-thumping homophobes won't go away anytime soon, any more than racist scum would stop harassing ethnic minorities. Haters gon' hate, as they say. But their behavior doesn't mean you don't have equal rights. You HAVE equal rights, in the eyes of the law, as a free-willed lawful citizen. But that doesn't preclude the possibility of having to deal with assholes. If you were straight then you'd still have assholes to deal with, it would just be a different subset of assholes with their own bone to pick, and a hill they've chosen to die on. The operative question here is "how to deal with assholes?", really. And that's a universal question we all deal with differently, because the assholes you encounter probably require different strategies than the assholes i encounter
  • Raveagit
    What a whole lot of nothing.
    You can see their argument but it's just bible verses that they get wrong, you want more "rights" but can't make a case for it.
    Such meaningless tissue paper "arguments" are why no on one like my self, capable of a real debate, with knowledge on the subject even bothers.
    One soft ball for the road. Aids remains the disease of homosexuals. A literal plague upon one for their actions would seem to make the Christians case pretty cut and dry for them.
  • hellionthesagereborn
    You do have equal rights, their are literally no rights that are barred from you. Also no one cares, no seriously no one cares. The first gay pride parade was in 1970. Thats over fifty years ago. You might have an argument fifty or sixty years ago but currently LGBT people are over represented in media, Trumps administration had five different cabinet level positions filled with openly gay people, etc. etc. Your not a victim, you have never been a victim, stop it. Their are real people with real issues and your trying to hog the limelight so that you can get all the sympathy for yourself in some kind of social Munchausen's syndrome in order to be important. Instead of doing that, do something of value instead. Your not a victim, you never have been and likely never will be.
  • 007kingifrit
    you should never be sharing your "identity' at all. its your job to fit into the majority

bi is not an identity. nobody is bi
    • Juxtapose

My dick gets hard for men and women, what would you call me?

• @Juxtapose so? not an identity. just a thing you do. learn the difference

too many identities in society breaks the society, too many types of people. nobody can compromise. eventually you are forced to choose, democracy or diversity

• Juxtapose

My sexuality is different enough from yours to warrant a label. That label does not make up my personhood, it is simply a useful distinction.

• Wewladdy
    Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.The Bible states that even just cross dressing is a literal abomination. You think you can ignore all the blatant objective statements and continue to live in sin because it's convenient to you? Not repentant of it at all, even deeming it part of who you are in Christ?
    Shameful. Shameful and disappointing that one can take on a title they clearly do not want. A title such as Christian comes with obligations, and that is to follow God's law, which you clearly do not wish to do.
    I used to think I was a queerdosexual sodomite as well and that it was okay, but the bottom line is it's plain perversion. The Bible is VERY clear that man is made for woman and woman for man, and that marriage (the only case in which sexual acts are permitted,) is strictly between man and woman.
    • doopayo

That’s not what the actual bible says, what you’re referring to is a mix of pagen & the Catholic Churches corruption of the original word of god. I won’t go into much details but I do have sites and links that explain it better if you want to do your own research on where that actually originates from

• Wewladdy

I read the Bible. I've read different versions of the Bible. I've also done my own research outside of the Bible itself. Sodomy and homosexual "marriage" are both monstrosities.

• genericname85
    i don't see what "rights" you do actually not have.
  • Ilittles
    You have the same rights as anyone else. The problem with this isn't with thr "system" it is with groups of people.
    Under the law there is equality, however the actors enforcing law is where things get messed up.

Infact , we hVe more benefocial "inequality" to make up for preceieved " inequality" . No one wants to talk about it because it is touchy... but it is truth. If my sister and I are both equal in merit but she is josen because she is female , because that's "progressive" there are many examples, not just based on biological sex, race, religion or social status. Your issue is trying weed out the individuals whose conduct is unfair not the system of rights for humans , as that is fundamental in kost of the westernized developed world. I also think there should be people in the lgbt community thst need to be weeded out too as they can be radical and irrational.
  • ik9999
    Can you explain what are the rights alphabet collective is missing?
  • recvcv
    i like lgbtq+ because it serves my interests as a liberal male, otherwise aim straight and not gay
  • MrJMM
    Simple their human beings so every single human being should have equal rights.
  • Miristheiss
    Name the rights you do not have?
    • YaBoiJacob

in 2019, 52% of LGBTQ+ people live in. states where their sexual orientation can determine if they get fired, this has just recently changed in the supreme court ruling on June 15 in 2020. 28 states offer no protection against housing discrimination, in 30 states businesses can refuse service because of someones sexual orientation and it is harder to get custodial rights if you are LGBTQ+. I have these facts from ESME and the Humans Rights Campaign.

• but they can't do any of that if you... don't list your social deviancy

• CasaNorba
    what rights dont you have?
  • zagor
    How do you not have equal rights?
  • Massageman
    God's rainbow has seven colors.
  • Pete671
    The flag is six colours, it's for neurodiversity,
  • Anonymous
    The mentally ill "LGBT" community already HAS equal rights. But they don't have the right to force away rights, freedoms and lifestyles of NORMAL people.
    And the symbol of the rainbow WAS stolen by these individuals
  • Anonymous
    How does your gender preference impact your ability to purchase a house? It's been awhile, but I don't recall having to answer questions about who I'd like to fuck on my mortgage application nor on a purchase bid or even a rental agreement for that matter. . .
  • Anonymous
    No one is preventing you from buying a house. Nobody knows you're gay until you tell them. This is such nonsense.
  • Anonymous
    The way I see the world these days Christians receive much more hate that lgbt people.
  • Anonymous
    Why as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, we should have equal rights.Take a holiday in one of thous country and you will have evrething you need :)
  • Anonymous
    you're 15 so you might not know this. Your gender nor your sexual orientation is not a factor in deciding weather or not you can own a home. Its your credit score and job history. As far as equal rights, You do have them. And no one is taking them away.
    • YaBoiJacob

I know, but landlord wise, a land lord can kick out a person because of their sexual orientation.

• Anonymous

Actually they cannot. Not legally. Not in the US anyway.

• if your landlord even knows your sexual orientation... you have done something wrong

• Anonymous
    Yeah I totally agree. I work in healthcare and I’ve witnessed a lot of systemic inequalities that lgbtq+ people face, especially trans individuals. It’s truly saddening.
  • Anonymous
    They do have the same rights, and not being hated is not a right.

People need a better relationship with hatred, that’s the more prevalent problem.
    • YaBoiJacob

• Anonymous

It applies to straight people too, so yeah, same rights. Small businesses especially shouldn’t need any reason, let alone sexuality. Same for when it comes to refusing service. A small family owned business should be able to kick anyone out for any reason.

• YaBoiJacob

It isn't about kicking someone out, it's about firing someone for no reason other than sexual orientation.