12 Things Caribbean People Know All Too Well

Born and raised in this part of the earth and DAMN proud of it:

Things Caribbean People Know All Too Well.

Since, I moved recently, I miss there so much...especially the food. The food is awesome. Period.

Anyway, let's get started.

You knew DAMN well not to disobey to your elders.

When your mother, father, aunt, uncle, granny or even your older sister is correcting you, you very much well know that it is no laughing matter. If you in fact decide to disobey your parents and they find out, they aren't going to 'ground' you because 'grounding' isn't a part of their disciplinary method. Oh no, you will be getting something like this instead:

And at the end of the day, you have learnt from that.

The Dutch Pot, and trying to steal things from it.

If you grew up in the Caribbean, or grew up with Caribbean parents, chances are you have this on your stove right now...and it is older than your eldest sibling, or even your mom:

This is the magical pot that provided your weekly goodness of a Sunday dinner and growing up, you probably at least ONCE tried to steal meat from it without your parents knowing and closing it very carefully because it makes a loud noise like a pair of cymbals when being closed. Also not dropping the pot cover on the ground.

Speaking of cymbals, this was also used as an instrument for street parties or celebrations. Especially for during the Olympics in Half Way Tree Road when Usain Bolt is going to run. (Jamaicans represent!)

We have our own curse words.

Ha ha ha. Just don't use them around your parents or else #1 might happen to you.

You always, ALWAYS have a bottle of hot sauce in your house.

There is no way to escape the hot sauce. It is always there and we love it!

Especially the Grace hot pepper sauce...don't get me started..

There are three of these on my dining table right now ^^^

The heat never bothered you anyway.

Even though I prefer the cold, I can always get used to the heat. Also, growing up in Jamaica, everyone knew that running the AC everyday would run up the light bill and you would have JPS all over your ass so we used fans mostly and hoping that they don't stop working. The ACs were for REALLY hot days only. (Not every house in Jamaica has AC, you had to have one built in manually for you, if you could afford it and I'm talking one of these:

Only a few houses have central cooling systems with thermometers.)

Plus, flip flops and cotton clothes all year round. There is no such thing called under 20 degrees Celsius weather. (68 degrees Fahrenheit for the Americans). You never had to base your closet on the temperature outside. It is always 'dress for warm weather'. You also only have one thin sweater for the December - February weather.

You go to school with your uniform clean, you BETTER return home with your uniform clean.

From basic school to high school, you had to wear uniforms, and the government does not give a shit if you go to a public or private school, uniforms are ALWAYS required for school children. We follow the British education system also (Jamaica was a British colony until August 6th 1962) so by any chance you are aged 2-19 you are most likely wearing uniforms to school and your parents expect you to come back home with it as pristine as it was when you left the house. It was basically a way of your parents teaching you responsibility from an early age. Little pen and pencil marks were understandable though.

There is a 70% chance you haven't met all your close relatives yet.

Anytime there is a family reunion, funeral (especially these), wedding or even a birthday party, you are always finding out about someone new who is related to you. I once had three persons show up at my house randomly one day to find out they are my cousins.

'Mummy I have a headache.' 'Go drink some tea.'

Tea. Your mother's #1 solution for almost every ailment.

Headache? Tea.

Bellyache? Tea.

Fever? Tea.

Cramps? Tea.

Nausea? Tea.

High blood pressure? Tea.

Broken arm? Tea.

Heart attack? Tea.

Don't get me started on the peppermint tea:

Not only does your mother have peppermint tea to cure all your ailments, introducing rubbing alcohol to cool down your body whenever you have a fever. But not just any rubbing alcohol, peppermint rubbing alcohol (well, Wintergreen):

Also, for that pesky sinusitis and cold, you have this nasty ass cough syrup you have to take:

In addition to all these things, let's not forget the Vicks Vaporub when you have a cold:

And this right here, ladies and gentlemen is how you take care of sicknesses, the Caribbean edition.

Murder She Wrote

No foreigners, we are not talking about the TV show. We are talking about the song. You cannot be from the Caribbean and not know this song. It is played EVERYWHERE from parties to the shop around the corner.

"I know this little girl her name is Maxine, her beauty is like a bunch of roses..."

Speaking of music...

Every Sunday, the neighbours will have some kind of music while cleaning the house. From gospel music to dancehall music, you will always hear music every Sunday morning and your neighbours' horrible singing to go along with it lmao.

'Dede, pass di ting nuh.'

"Mummy, what ting?" "Di TING!"

What Caribbean parents mean by 'ting': An object that they forgot the name of in the moment and they need you to bring it for them like you know what it is.

Not to be confused with the soda:

Also, you and everyone you know point with their lips/mouth.

Last but not least, an important life lesson.

From a young age, our parents taught us this:

Amen. Sometimes wish I could shove quote this in certain people's faces so badly...

Even though I have moved to a different country, I will never forget my Caribbean roots. It will always be a part of me.

11
10

Have An Opinion?

Most Helpful Girl

• Tephra

LOVE this take! Always wanted to go to the Caribbean because my friend is always raving on about how great his childhood was and how much fun it was growing up there (besides getting your backside whipped lol!) After talking to a lot of people from the Caribbean I definitely know the first one is true! :P Some of them are quite relatable to where I'm from; the vicks vapour is definitely one of them. Would love to spend a year there just to get a good understanding of the culture, not to mention a great tan and pick up on the accent! Love Jamaican accents!
    You should do a take on "translating" Jamaican to English?

Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you! I'm glad you are interested in our culture and want to learn more about it.
      And don't worry you will have no problem getting a tan.
      That's actually a great idea for a Take. Thank you for suggesting it! :)

• Tephra

It's winter over here in Australia so it's very cold haha, Your welcome! :)

• I have always wanted to visit Australia. How is it like when you have winter and the rest of the world has summer or when you have summer when the rest of the world has winter?

Most Helpful Guy

910
  • ObscuredBeyond

I can't imagine living in Jamaican culture.

On the last one: there is a time to intervene, and a time to ignore. Wisdom is knowing when to do which.

That has to be the most inadequate medicine cabinet I've heard of since the Albanian "just put a Band Aid on everything" joke I heard years ago.

And uniforms are for the birds. Way I see it: as long as you're not covered in Satanic tattoos, pierced to look like a circus freak, dressed like a thug or a circus freak, or harboring other clothes that don't belong in any reasonable classroom situation, then what's the hassle?

In grade school, if I wore a sweatshirt with Loony Tunes characters on it - even to chapel days - nobody batted an eye. As long as my jeans weren't rags, they were okay. As long as my shoes weren't falling to pieces, they were fine. I miss that standard.

In high school, it had to be khakis on Wednesdays and clean jeans every other day. I had to have special Rockport shoes, not regular shoes. All my shirts had to be plain, no stripes or symbols or logos. (Because if you allow that, it's only a matter of time before a kid shows up in a shirt with demonic imagery on it! Gasp! We can't let our little salt and light angels be exposed to KISS on a T-shirt! It might turn them into sociopaths!) (Note: even with all that control, most of the girls upon leaving immediately become whores anyway.)

• The meme on the last one is saying exactly what you just pointed out. We are just very straightforward people.
      And for the medicine, we do of course have modern medicine and pills, it's just that natural herbs and homemade stuff generally work faster and have long lasting effects, that's why peppermint tea is so popular there. (The broken bones and heart attack thing was a joke).
      And you are right with the comparison of the grade school and high school uniform dress codes, they become stricter as you age, especially if you were going to Roman Catholic schools. Plus everyone knows that school uniforms will probably never become extinct in the Caribbean.

• justbanANNAz

this is awesome! i loved reading this! i could relate to some of them for middle eastern culture too lol. there's always a particular food around, or solution for when ur unwell in any kind of way.

they're all the same i swear.

• meatballs21

My parents lived in Barbados. This is my hot sauce:

cdn2.bigcommerce.com/.../...47741074.1280.1280.jpg

(I have many others but this one mine)

• AdorableLilo

I live in Holland now and reading all of this just makes me miss Aruba. Especially the heat and music. There's no one here i can share my culture with

• Oram52

Love this Take except the first one, do not condone physical punishment regardless.

What good place would you recommend in caribbean to vist, go see things, good food, party girls of course :)

• Okay, since I come from there, I will say Jamaica. You can visit historical sights (we have our own haunted house BTW), enjoy the scenery, the north coast beaches are lit, go to St. Ann Parish if you want good jerk pork, jerk chicken, jerk everything (don't worry we have things for vegans or vegetarians if you are one) and the parties there are bars and places you can go to on the north coast.
      I also heard Trinidad and Barbados are amazing as well.

• EllieLexis513

A lot of the things you mentioned I feel some cultures do in general... like the hot sauce thing, music, medicines, especially that Vick's Vapor Rub, which did NOT work, let me tell you.

But overall, pretty decent take.

• zombiebabe

interesting take! but am familiar with #1 and the vapo rub

• Thank you!
      I heard it is very popular is Hispanic/Latinx culture as well.

• PT1911

Tea and honey is the Romanian way to cure anything lol.

Anyway fun read!

• RainbowFanGirl

My boyfriend is from the Carribean and he knows about all of this.

Lol good Take!

• GreatnessRevamped

I'm Jamaican, so I understand all a dis.
    I could go for some ting.

• You forgot that "EEEEEE" is a word.
      "You tek out di trash, eeee?

"EE-EEEEE"

• Ayyyeee Jamaica represent!
      Oh yeah, I forgot that one as well lol

• Sophiaaaaaa

Wha is dis blooclat? Dem tell me I gunna be like dis.

• BrownBoyBrownies

Haha point 1, never disobey your elders. Same with Asian culture

• LittleSally

hahaha Great mytake!
    =)

• Relentless_Hippie

Finally a take I could relate to!

• Nice! Which island are you from?

• I American born but raised by my Jamaican grandparents on my dad's side. Also, my mother's family is Puerto Rican so if one thing didn't apply to one side it applied to the other haha. :) I thoroughly enjoyed your take by the way. It was so light hearted and funny! Very relatable.

• Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

• anonman32

'di ting' sounds like dit ding in dutch.

• Waffles731

cool take

• Keepcalm89

Bob Marley moooooooon! Big fan! 🎼

• Anonymous

It sounds similar to African American families actually

• Anonymous

This take is very fucking racist.

• Anonymous

Because every Caribbean person likes hot sauce (Black stereotype) right...