12 Words That Mean Something Different in the Caribbean

helloitsmethere

So, I got this idea from @Phoenix98 when he did the Kansas version to it. I found his myTake quite interesting and I wanted to do my own version, the Caribbean version (bap bap bap).

Before I start, I am from Jamaica, which means most things on here are words used in Jamaica that usually have multiple meanings there. So let's start.

Hurricane

What it means everywhere else: A violent storm with swirling winds with over 119 km/h or 74 mph.

What it means in the Caribbean: NO SCHOOL! NO WORK! Likkle breeze fi cool down di place! (A little breeze to cool the place down) :D :D :D (If it reaches a Cat 4 or 5 THEN you start worrying).

Gilbert

What it means everywhere else: A baby boy's name, meaning 'bright pledge'.

What it means in Jamaica: That dreaded September 12, 1988 hurricane that made people's satellite dishes take off like flying saucers and roofs migrate without visas (hehe), blocked streets with fallen electricity poles and branches, flooded streets and homes and a funny, lighthearted song was made about it called 'Wild Gilbert' to take people off the stress of the destruction that it had caused.

Tree

What it means to everyone else: A large, woody plant that has one main stem that branches out into different branches and has a lot of leaves.

What it means in the Caribbean: We still call trees 'tree' in the Caribbean, we just pronounce the number 3 as 'tree'.

Jerk

What it means to everyone else: An obnoxious person.

What it means in Jamaica: A style of cooking and a type of seasoning that can be used on pork and chicken.

Also, people constantly tell me how much they love jerk pork. Yes, it is that good.

Christmas Dinner

What it means to everyone else: Mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, figgy pudding, ham, fruit cake, roast or whatever they make for Christmas dinner.

What it means in the Caribbean: Jerk chicken, jerk pork, oxtail, ham, a lot of fruit cake with extra rum, sorrel drink, rice and peas, rum, coconut toto, rum cake etc. (I cannot WAIT for Christmas).

^ Sorrel drink

Murder She Wrote

What it means everywhere else: An American crime drama television series.

What it means in the Caribbean: A very popular 90s dancehall song.

Chubby

What it means everywhere else: plump and rounded

What it means in Jamaica: soda that I used to drink a lot as a kid.

Portland

What it means to everyone else: One of the major cities in Oregon.

What it means in Jamaica: One of Jamaica's 14 parishes that is located on the upper east coast. Popular tourist attractions include: river rafting on the Rio Grande, hiking Blue Mountain Peak and the beaches of course.

Alcohol

What it means everywhere else: A drink that is found in bars, parties etc. that can make you drunk if you drink too much.

What it means in the Caribbean: A liquid used for rubbing your face and body when you have a fever. If it isn't available at the moment, rum can also be used.

Tea

What it means to everyone else: a hot beverage made by leaves or using a tea bag. In Britain, it is a light meal served between lunch and dinner.

What it means in the Caribbean: Apparently the cure for every sickness and ailment.

To avoid confusion, we obviously know tea isn't the cure for EVERYTHING.

Bright

What it means everywhere else: giving out or reflecting a lot of light.

What it means in the Caribbean: being rude or disrespectful.

Yard

What it means to Americans: An imperial unit of measurement

What it means in the Caribbean: Home, in general.

Thanks for reading! :)

3
3

Most Helpful Girl

• TokyoGhoulLover
    Ahhh~! Patwa!! That takes me Home fam You don't even KNOW!! :) I could write a paragraph on the stuff you listed but lemme just list two!

1.) Ah Caribbean, You sick? Rub some Liquor on it. (͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)

2.) Also... Don't u mean Peas and Rice? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also can u teach me some insults in Jamaican Patwa? I would have almost taken bright as a compliment. ('-' )... and my daddy says not to say "Fire on ya ass" to people... also completely unrelated but my dad and i were talking about this the other day wats the slang term for european visitors? or white American visitors? It's completely random but every island has a different term. and i wanna learn! Determination to connect with all the carribean peeps with speak!! (ง'̀-'́) ง I wish there was a Patwa class!!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Lmao it's actually spelled 'Patois', but pronounced 'Patwa'... either way it's right lol.
      You wanna know some Patois insults? Alright fam xD (EVERYONE asks about them every time they find out im Jamaican lol I don't mind)
      - Bumboclaat
      - Bloodclaat
      - Rassclaat
      - Pussyclaat
      - Bumbo-rass
      - Bumbo-rassclaat (yeah, we're that extra)
      - Bumbo-pussyclaat (extraness tun up xD)
      - 'Go suck yuh madda'
      - Sketel
      - Ginnal
      - Cruff
      - Butu
      - Dutty Gyal
      - Dutty Stinkin Gyal
      - Badmind
      - Renk
      - Eediat
      There is more here: https://jamaicanpatwah.com/

And NOOOO it's 'Rice and Peas' lol

• *Goes to emo corner ashamed* ... o-oh... guess I... wasn't ready at all (;-; ) for... Island living *room turns cold*

• *takes notes* (' - ') mhm mhm *raises hand* Uhm Teacher? If my assumptions are correct... do half of the Bumbo's have something to do with the Vagina?

*Fist pumps* YES! I knew that was a thing! My grandpa used to argue about that all the time! He said peas and rice 'cuz da peas are da Relish.' (like with a steak and potatoes, if there is no meat then the peas are the substitute protein hence becoming the Relished part of the dish) And Baked vs. Fried. and different meanings for 'Coco tea!' :) (coughitsbakedcough)

Most Helpful Guy

• Library
    This taught me something. You bring a lot of great insight on here.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

22
  • Waffles731
    I liked this one
  • Phoenix98
    Nice ^^.
  • RainbowFanGirl
    I love this one. :)
  • babeeeone
    Loved this. Especially bright lol