Yes, Adults Can Watch Cartoons, Too

smahala1991
Yes adults can watch cartoons too

At my age if someone hears that I like to watch Spongebob I occasionally hear "Aren't you a little too old for that"? Or the classic line "You're an adult you should put away childish things". Sometimes you just have to say you're only as old as you feel or age is nothing but a state of mind. The simple fact is sometimes even adults hate adulting. I admit it adulting sucks, but it has to be done. However us adults still enjoy cartoons at times. I admit I still have my favorites even now. But why do we adults still enjoy cartoons? Well, here's a few reasons.

It's an escape from the harshness of reality

Yes, Adults Can Watch Cartoons, Too

Think about it. Do we really want to always hear about the Trump Vs Hillary election, or about the Kardashians and Jenners? No we don't. News and celebrity gossip is often so depressing. Sometimes when we get home from work I might want to enjoy The Simpsons, Family Guy, Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, or Loud House rather than watch CNN or Entertainment Tonight. Cartoons often do mock the news and celebrity culture, but not in a way that it actually makes any direct refrences to any real life persons. Most cartoons also do not discuss religion which eases tensions for people to enjoy.

Sometimes we watch them for the nostalgia

Yes, Adults Can Watch Cartoons, Too

Twenty years ago I can agree cartoons were better. Rugrats was the top cartoon, Powerpuff Girls was better than the newer reboot, Simpsons was also still fresh as well. Watching the classics make us feel a nostalgia of life when we were growing up. Nowdays with channels like Boomerang, The Splat, and online channels like Netflix and Hulu we can rewatch the cartoons of our youth. Shows like Animaniacs, Powerpuff Girls, and others from the 90's are also readily available for younger viewers to experience what my age group did at their age.

Sometimes we watch them with our children, Nieces, Nephews, Cousins etc...

What better way to enjoy the magic of animation than to watch a cartoon or animated movie with your youngest realitives. Something about hearing it from a childs point of view make them magical and enjoyable. Most children do find toilet humor funny. Most children also will laugh at slapstick violence. The truth is childrens pov make cartoons what they are. Pretty much they are just animated sitcoms.

There is also Anime and Manga. They are pretty much cartoons as well. Maybe more adult oriented and action packed than western animation, but nonetheless its all animated. Adult cartoons like: Family guy, Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill,Futurama, Archer, Simpsons etc... gain teenage viewers too. So why can't adults enjoy mild cartoons some if kids and teens can watch Family Guy or Beavis and Butthead even if the teens do it seceretly sometimes. Even the more recently released Pokemon go has rekindled interest in the Pokemon cartoons in the millenial generation. So the more important question is: Why not enjoy cartoons even as an adult? Even adults are Disney addicts. Adulting sucks, but a temporary escape can sometimes be all we need. For all the teenagers who want to be adults, please don't be in a hurry to grow up. It's not as always as fun as you think.

#Adultingsucks

Yes, Adults Can Watch Cartoons, Too
8
3

Most Helpful Girl

• PrincessofNohr
    There's nothing wrong at all with watching cartoons, even if they are technically designed for kids. Hell, even my 60 year old father will sometimes flip on SpongeBob if nothing else is on and get some genuine laughs out of it. I'be also noticed that cartoons in general are aiming for a more mature audience. Adventure time, Steven universe
    Is this still revelant?
    • True, plus Nickelodeon is starting to make a huge comeback with Loud House, Stephen Hillenberg is backon the Spongebob comittee so it's going back to its roots, and Nick is also planning Hey Arnold and Rocko reboots as well as possibly Rugrats.

• My comment got cut short, but it still works lol. It's nice to see this renaissance of animation occurring after the bunghole that was the early 2000s. It's also nice to see that there are some artists who still respect their audience's intelligence as well, instead of dumbing everything down for a post-Transformers type audience.

• Yeah 2000 to 2007 was horrible for cartoons except a notable few. Spongebob was just too popular. Now his popularity is dying from being on too long. Nick needs some new blood. Which Loud house is a major improvement

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    Archer is my favorite cartoon and is most definitely meant for adults.
    Here is the crossover with bobs burgers
    Bob and Archer are voiced by the same person
    WARNING, VIOLENT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFobb7n7AzE
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

72
  • nikki_24
    I still watch Family Guy because I get the references they make and can normally laugh from it. I also watch Hey Arnold! That was my favorite cartoon as a kid and if its on I watch it. It is still funny and I love the nostalgia, I miss the 90s 😞
    • We all do.

• nikki_24

Someone needs to build a time machine already lol.

• I do admit the modern era does have good cartoons too. They are just different

• Luci92
    I hope I can still get away with watching cartoons lol... good take!
  • Mustachekitteh
    Try telling that to people when it comes to Anime, some people are too stupid to realize not all Anime is child appropriate.
  • EmpatheticLady
    I love me some cartoons. I've been on a South Park kick lately, and that's definitely for "mature audiences" as it states before each show. :P
  • Saoirse_Nua
    I used to babysit my sister's kids when they were younger - I hated Barney but it was great when they got older and moved onto Power Rangers - Great excuse to watch young peoples' programmes.
  • Library
    lol I'll never stop watching cartoons, not even when I'm an old man.
  • RainbowFanGirl
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying cartoons when you get older. I'm almost 18 and will continue watching.
  • btbc92
    "You're an adult you should put away childish things": I wouldn't exactly use that term as that came out of the Bible. And that's not even what it was actually stating. It means for you to grow and mature as your own unique person, and you can't go back to the ways as you were as a child. It doesn't mean you can't play tag, or hopscotch or whatever you like to do. It just means you can't put off life and growing up even as an adult for the things you did as a child. You should be encouraged to have an innocent mindset but at the same time be aware of the things around you.

I still watch cartoons as an Adult too. But only shows that was from my time because at least they had morals, interesting story telling and character development. These days its all about silliness, sacking somebody over the head with a hammer, and your not learning anything accept how to be stupid like them on TV.
  • ginny_weasley
    Great take I agree.