My Life as a Left Hander

Anonymous

I knew I was a mild left-hander since I was about 5 years old. At the time, the biggest manifestation of my left-hand dominance was in using writing utensils. All my classmates seemed to be right-handed, and I was the only left-handed kid. Being a mild left-hander wasn't much of a problem for me. I could do most right-handed activities without a problem, but the left-handedness did trigger some attention from people.

My Life as a Left Hander

One way that it triggered attention in people was that my mother and her friends immediately noticed the lefthandedness whenever I used a pencil, pen, or crayon. I didn't understand what the fuss was about, but I later understood the commotion was about the rarity of left-handedness. Anything that is rare or atypical would trigger attention, and left-handedness is one of those rare things.

My Life as a Left Hander

Another way that it triggered attention in people was that every time I wrote something down, my elbow constantly bumped into the elbow of my right-handed neighbor. If I were seated at the left end of a row of desks, then that wouldn't be a problem. But nope, I was seated right in the middle, between two right-handers. Actually, as far as I could tell, most people in the classroom were right-handers.

I also relied on my left hand to eat my meals, but no one cared about that.

And no one, except Mom and Dad, knew that I had a bump on the middle finger of the left hand. It aligned perfectly with the location where the pencil would rest. So, my parents and I speculated that my pressure on the pencil was causing the raised hardness on the finger. It's less noticeable now, but I think that's due to the prolong use of my right hand in later years.

My Life as a Left Hander

Since I was about 13 years old, I have been biking as one main form of transportation. I walk and drive a car too, but walking is a really poor choice for long distances, and driving a car is a poor choice for short distances. Biking is ideal for medium-length distances. Biking has made me realize that I am definitely left-handed. During biking, I can easily lift my right hand, the less dominant hand, but I struggle with lifting my left hand. I can just lift a few inches, no more, or I may lose my balance and control of the front wheel.

My Life as a Left Hander

I am a left-hander. There is nothing special with being left-handed, except that some people may ooh and aah because left-handedness is such a singularity and that there is the occasional pet peeve that right-handers will never understand. Overall, I like being left-handed, but thanks to much extensive training in my right hand, I can play the keyboard/piano effectively, eat meals conveniently, and write with both hands interchangeably to reduce fatigue.

My Life as a Left Hander
5
2

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    How'd you pick the most mundane shit to struggle with with being left handed?😂 There are certain parts of being left handed, but maybe 1 of the things you pointed out are a struggle... Using your left hand on a bike... Bruh 😂😂😂
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

14
  • Saoirse_Nua
    It is one of those things you don't think about unless you are left handed but I have a few left handed friends and my father was left handed. They would have to use something differently because it was made solely for a right handed world.
  • Zorax
    I'm a left hander too, great Take 👍
  • 

• rgb008
    As a lefty, i didn't know this was a huge deal….
  • lazermazer
    Why is it such a big deal?
  • Anonymous
    Left handed*