GaGers Speak Out About Their Mental Health Experiences, Part 1

FallOutBoy2001

GaGers Speak Out About Their Experiences with Depression or Bipolar Disorder, Part 1

Depression and Bipolar Disorder are not fun disorders to have; ask anyone suffering from either one. I asked members of GaG about their experiences with Depression and Bipolar Disorder, and their responses varied from stories of success and triumph to uncertainty and doubt. Here's what they said.

@Borginborg - Depression

I have C-PTSD and at times struggle with depression if I don't stay on my toes.
My biggest tool for fighting it is self awareness. Second is having someone in my life I can openly talk to about anything without fear of judgment or ridicule

@CupcakeQueen2000 - Depression

I deal with it on my own. I don't have anyone who cares enough to talk or help so what I do to help myself is write.
Writing really helps get it out. When I write it turns into poetry which is kinda annoying.

@Saoirse_Nua - Bipolar Disorder

I have mild bipolar plus some other issues with other mild mental health issues on and off for 30 years but I have had good couple years recently. My advice is to research stuff and look at other people stories, see what tips they can give for coping mechanisms. If you read a 100 tips and find 4 or 5 tips which work for you that is good.

@Waffles731 - Depression

I've got major depressive disorder,

I've attempted suicide twice and even right now when I feel good I'm still pretty sure I'll be dead by the time I'm thirty. I know that despite me feeling good right now, I know that despite me actually enjoying myself right now, that this feeling will come back, I know that someday probably before I'm 30 It'll be bad enough that I won't be in my right mind and I'll take my own life.

@Elarra - Depression

Diagnosed with it. Attempted suicide at 20 years old. But I'm getting treatment now. The racing thoughts are getting really bad, though. And my anger is worsening every day. It's stressful and tiring and I don't think people appreciate how exhausting it really is.

@JenSCDC - Bipolar.

Started with a depressive episode when I was 17 and was misdiagnosed with depression. Came out of it and was ok but not great for many years. Started to go downhill again in maybe 2007. Got really bad in 09, was hospitalized for a few days and was finally correctly diagnosed.

Was ok again for a while thanks to a very aggressive medication regime, but really went downhill in 2014. Was hospitalized for two weeks last January when I began shock therapy. The shock therapy went on through that March, although it wasn't until a little over a year ago that I was finally healthy. I'm still on a couple of meds, but only at low doses. If it weren't for the shock therapy I probably wouldn't be alive now.

I only get hypomania, not full blown mania. During these I tend to stay up all night working remotely, although I have had a couple of nights where I'm binge shopped, which results in me spending the next week returning tons of stuff through UPS.

@XRabbitHeartX - Depression

I have chronic depression that I got from my mother's side of the family. My mom, aunt, grandmother and great grandfather had or have depression. The great thing is that there's such advancements in medicine that there's no reason to suffer. I'm on lifelong medication that helps me tremendously. Whenever I do go through a rough patch, therapy is also a great and effective option. No one should suffer from depression or bipolar.

@DodgersGM - Depression

I've been severely depressed in the past, and was also diagnosed with mild PTSD (not military-related).

I overcame it with therapy, temporary medication, nutrition, and lots of exercise/sunshine.

I do still have moments where I can feel my vulnerabilities creep up, but I deal with it confidently and overcome it very quickly.

For everyone fighting depression or Bipolar Disorder; remember, you're not alone. We're here for you.

4
8

Most Helpful Girl

• Brokenheartedx
    I'll never get over my depression, I've had it since I was 10, it was so bad my hair was falling out in clumps. My hair grew back but I've no emotions, it's empty. I've tried a few times to kill myself and always woke up feeling worse than I did when I took pills or cut. It's something I've learned to live with, I never look forward to anything because I am scared of disappointment.
    Guess only people with depression will know what I mean..
    My father is probably the root of it, abusive child beater and mental torturer.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Waffles731

I know exactly what you mean

• @Waffles731 It's the foggy cloud.. it never clears always there even when with people it's there.. I hate it but in a way it's comforting it's weird

• Waffles731

As it was pointed out in the mytake I don't think I'll to see thirty

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    good take
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

37
  • Elarra
    Thanks for the mention, but I actually have Bi-polar disorder and Borderline Personality disorder.
  • Chico_brah
    A doctor tried to convince me I had PTSD. I ended up laughing and told him I didn't. After that I ended punching him in the face because it triggered a flashback. I have a new doctor today.
  • RainbowFanGirl
    I didn't know you were doing this, becuase I suffer from borderline personality disorder and depression.
  • OrdinaryGentleman
    Only critique that i have is that some of those users just say they have it and have not been diagnosed.
    • True. I've most likely got depression, but I refuse to get a diagnosis for fear of job discrimination. I'm sure others are in the same boat

• I've been diagnosed with Major Depression. It won't effect me joining the fire service in california, one of the most rigorous job examinations. I don't know what you are joining that would hinder your ability, unless you are going into the military.

• JenSCDC

Employers have no access to your medical records.

• Toad-1
    If you want another one, i have Social Anxiety. its like being on edge most of the time
  • Borginborg
    Good write ul
  • Saoirse_Nua
    Great take - Anything that raises awareness
    • Thanks :)

I myself struggle with depression, so this is very important to me

• Adigelunar
    --Good post
  • FantasyGeek05
    Warning signs picture kinda blurry
  • Anonymous
    otherwise known as sheep who want sympathy.
    • ... Sheep who want sympathy? You're a piece of work.

So, you think that someone with a brain irregularity, one that shows up clearly on scans, is a sheep who wants sympathy? Lovely

• Anonymous

oh. you mean all those people up there who didn't get a diagnosis let alone a brain scan? and additionally simply because the brain changes doesn't mean its a disease. the brain changes every day based on new stimulus. you program your brain based on what you do and how you feel. if you constantly feel like shit because your a weak pansy who doesn't know how to live then its going to change your brain. we know about nothing about the brain. it is the final frontier. to state 'these brains are different than these brains' is really like a child saying 'bananas aren't apples'

• Again, clearly you don't know how mental illness works. Fuck off