9 Phenomenal Examples of Islamic Architecture

ginny_weasley

I was thinking of making this my take for a while. I am glad @aledeeurope and @Omar5881 gave me the extra push. This is a very small percentage of the phenomenal Islamic architecture that is available.

I remember learning about the Islamic culture in my humanities class in my freshman year of college. I would take that class again in a heartbeat and my professor was awesome. Even though he is very absent-minded. I remember multiple times he would come to class with his shirt buttoned wrong, but he is brilliant. I also tried to get more than one picture for each example. I feel one picture from the outside doesn't do it justice. Sadly, some of these have been destroyed.

Badshahi Mosque

Selimiye Mosque

Alhambra

Umayyad Mosque

Sultan Ahmed Mosque

Taj Mahal

Shah Mosque

The Great Mosque of Samaria

Mezquita De Córdoba

9
4

Most Helpful Girl

• archiz
    yeeyyy <3
    yet another great take
    some of those examples I learned in my history courses too ^^ :)
    I ve always liked islamic architecture
    because it s always an abstraction of nature with pure geometric patterns. and it s always interesting to see how the art adapted to each culture since islam is spread worldwide.
    so it s nice to see the mix and input each culture puts.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    Side note,
    Swizterland banned minirets,'
    Anotherr reason I dislike switzerland.'
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

38
  • Phoenix98
    It's alright not really my tastes but I can appreciate the work that went into making it. Fun fact though some of these designs aren't actually original but were copied originally from Christian cultures such as the Byzantine Empire or cultures like the ancient Greeks.
    • Interesting. I think I'm going to do a my take about different architectural influences

• Phoenix98

You should it'd be interesting that's for sure it'll take some word though lol.

• PT1911
    Fun fact:

Some of these mosques copied the design of the Hagia Sophia, originally built by the Byzantines in 537 AD. Some of then "Islamic" architecture was originally seen in Greek Orthodox and Coptic church designs. By that, I mean the huge dome design that is associated with mosques, was originally a Christian design used in the Byzantine Empire.
  • ElissaDido
    Very nice! I love Andalusian architecture the most, maybe because some of my ancestry was Andalusian haha!
  • Jan1ssary_
    Nice one.. Sultan Ahmed Mosque and Selimiye Mosques are in my country.. I couldn't visit Selimiye Mosque yet since its in another city but I can say I see Sultan Ahmed Mosque at least few times in a week since I am living in Istanbul 😎
  • SlightlyCrazy
    Fun fact: most old city's in slain are rich in Islamic architecture as jt was ruled by the Turks until the reconquista in the 15th century
    Beautiful unique styles though
    • PT1911

A lot of "Islamic Architecture" was taken form the Byzantines though...

• PT1911

I should clarify by saying "Ottoman Architecture" really.

• @PT1911 no not really. Byzantine architecture derives mostly from the Greeks before it ever gets a Islamic influence. The Byzantines NEVER controlled Spain

• Zorax
    They have beautiful architecture - Persian, Arabic, Turkish... I like their style, wonderful Take.
  • Hogwartsstudent
    amazing all of them but you forgot one great mosque too @ginny_weasly Mohamed Ali mosque in Cairo is great one too
  • peachblossomluck
    These are beautiful! Thank you for sharing♡
  • AleDeEurope
    Beautiful. Such level of detail is amazing.
  • Saoirse_Nua
    They are amazing pieces of architecture
  • Adigelunar
    great places