American's Don't Travel

Anonymous
American's Don't Travel

First off: MURICA! USA! USA! USA! Yes, had to do it. We're required by law to chant this whenever confronted with any type of foreigner, especially the ones that like to argue in bold caps that IT'S CALLED FOOTBALL! Seriously you should probably know that at this point we're just arguing because we know it gets your knickers in a twist, but let's move on to the topic at hand, shall we. Travel! Leaving ones home turf to travel through another. Why don't more American's do it?

This stereotype, I will say for most American's is true. Before all you American world travelers can start barking up a storm, we know you exist and are trying to change the stereotype, but let's face it...line up a thousand random American's, and out of that bunch maybe 10 of them manage to do any sort of world traveling on any sort of regular basis, and those ten are probably old retirees. Before you foreigners go about saying, see, look we told you so, it's all true, it's not just because we don't want to and we love Murica. That's far too simple. Ask an American, would you like to travel to xyz, and they'd happily say yes, but that yes, is always curbed by the following reasons why sadly we don't tend to travel.

American's Don't Travel

1. What is time off?

I used to work a job where I worked 50 hour work weeks every single week. Had only one weekend day off, had to come in at 3am for media sometimes, or stay overnight for events. I only got 2 weeks paid vacation, but as a manager, the only way I could actually take that time off would be if I found another manager to cover all that time, and the majority of our schedules ran concurrently, so it was practically impossible. My boss let everybody else including janitorial and cafe staff take their vacation time if they requested it but would routinely tell our team that we couldn't take ours off because this week was important, and we need you for this, and you run this so you can't take that week off. It was ridiculous and I'm pretty sure borderline if not illegal (don't worry I sure as heck don't work there anymore), but having said all that, I was still...on paper anyway...one of the lucky ones with paid vacation. So many Americans don't get that and desperately need the income they are bringing in even with a spouse or significant other working, so the mere idea one could just run off on vacation is one where one is going to probably have to take several financial hits...

2. Not enough time for that time off

Assuming you're one of the lucky ones who even gets vacation time, it is usually max 2 weeks and for the majority it is unpaid time off. Most Europeans get like a month off during the year on which to wile away their days, and there is at least in my opinion anyway, a system there that encourages employees to not run themselves into the ground through work, but to take those vacations and come back rested and relaxed. Not so much in the US. As mentioned above, it always seems to be like some horrible imposition on your employer should you dare try and take a vacation. Let me go further and say...should you dare take like 2 days off in a week because God forbid, your husband or kid is in the hospital. It's practically a crime, and so most just slog through the year and don't ever take what little if any time they are allotted.

3. We live in a giant a-- country far far away

Let me just put this one into perspective. In the state of Texas, one can drive 12 hours....let me repeat that...one can drive 12 full hours from edge to edge and still be in Texas, and that's just one state. We've got a lot of land mass to explore and we like it. That's something foreigners really need to understand. Yes everywhere else on the planet I'm sure is great, but there is nothing wrong with liking to actually explore your own vast country. We also like it because when you only have a few days and not a lot of money, it makes sense to just road trip somewhere and come back without having to hassle through the nightmare that has become airport security, especially when trying to travel abroad. A road trip for someone in Europe might land them in France and Italy via a four hour road trip...we don't have that luxury unless we're going to either Canada or Mexico.

American's Don't Travel

4. Travel wants all your money

Depending on your location, a plane ticket from the US to Europe round trip can cost anywhere from $900 to $1500. From the US to China, we're talking about 3 grand and you haven't even done anything. Of course travel costs can be relatively cheap once you get to Europe or other places taking local transit, sleeping at hostels, if you're lucky to know someone, etc, but that's a fairly decent chunk of change to spend on a flight and not actually have set foot in said foreign country or put a bite of food in your mouth. Europeans are always traveling around because it is cheaper for them to do so and much closer to all these places that aren't that far off form their home base. Passports are cheaper as well.

5. Debt is an SOB

A lot of American's, especially the young college aged ones are already under heaps of debt. It's pretty hard to justify springing for what would probably be a 2 grand vacation for a week at least, when you are battling to keep your lights on at home. It is an ever growing problem and one that has yet to see any real sort of solutions so again, it's much easier to drive and spent $300 on a few days, then to land yourself in more debt trying to fly off somewhere you already can't afford...I mean you can't afford the $300 dollars either, but if you're throwing caution to the wind for some unknown reason, better that, than 2 grand.

Now, if you'll excuse us, there is a soccer game on right now that we want to watch...

American's Don't Travel
4
2

Most Helpful Guy

• AleDeEurope
    I believe the main reason is that America is far from Europe and Asia, and it's too expensive to travel. I'm from an island in Spain and I'm 3 hours away from Madrid, and we couldn't travel as often as we wanted because of the plane tickets, they're too expensive unless you travel in Ryanair xD And now living in Chicago, it's like $1000 ticket back home. Way too expensive. You also gotta keep in mind that you lose a day whenever you travel to Europe, and Asia is close to 2 days, I believe. So if you don't have many days off, you'll lose 2 days because of traveling.

Also, like you said, America is HUGE, and not just that, but has a lot of variety. You have the beach in Cali and FL. You have mountains and snow in the Utah and Colorado. You have big cities like NYC or Chicago. You may not get the history and culture from other countries, but you still get something different while in the same country.

Good Take.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

I 100% love this response. I think the thing is people assume we just love America so much that we just don't want to leave ever, but seriously when a ticket as you and I both said, cost minimum a grand plus to even leave this rock and fly to Europe and 3 grand to get to Asia round trip, that's no walk in the park. Most Europeans can simply take a dirt cheap train ride and boom, they are in a whole other country, no time lost, and traveling within Europe can be a cheap experience... it is exactly how it is for us if say you wanted to hop in a car and drive from Chicago to Ohio. It's pure convenience that we don't have trying to hop from one place to the next in the states. Then you pile on top of that lack of time off, lack of paid vacations, lack of a culture that encourages things like vacations to begin with and we're mostly home bound... but it's not a bad place to be bound because again, so much variety here.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    Not true I travel all the time
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

you probably should have read the take

• Anonymous

Probably too long I don't read that much

• Anonymous

than there isn't much point to this comment if you haven't even read the take.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

13
  • Tommy222
    I travel a lot. I mean, really a lot. But all of my travel is done here within the United States. Why? Because I like a certain type of travel - true wilderness experiences. I can do this type of travel very easily and very affordably by car, via extended road trips. I drive to where I want to go, and then venture off via hiking or canoeing into the wilderness areas that are my destination. I can spend a week in the wilderness photographing wildlife and only spend a few hundred bucks for that week of awesome, solitary adventure.

If I were to try to do the same type of travel in an overseas destination, it would cost me, like, a thousand dollars - or even more!!! I simply do not, and never will, have that kind of money. And even if I did, well, which would I choose - four or five different 10 day wilderness adventures in the U. S., or one 7 day wilderness adventure in an overseas country? That's a no-brainer - I'll take several awesome 10 day adventures over a single week any time.

I do want to go to the prohibited region of Tibet for a few months in 2019 or 2020. I would really, REALLY love to be there for an extended amount of time. But as I have started doing the planning and the research, I am discovering that such a trip - my dream trip - is probably not even possible because of the ban on travel that the Chinese Military has issued for this most desirable area. Plus, I haven't been able to find an English-speaking Tibetan who would host me. It's really, really hard to find English-speaking Tibetans who live in remote wilderness regions of Tibet.
  • Anonymous
    i think money is the biggest thing that prevents us travelling
  • Anonymous
    I'm Canadian and my brother married an American. She loves it here in Canada, in fact she prefers it to the US. When they were to get married she wanted the wedding here in Canada. Apparently quite a few members of her family actually refused to come to the wedding because it was going to be in Canada. Her view was, well at least it filtered out all the idiots from her wedding.

Now she wants to move here permanently.
    • Anonymous

This one, I have to side with the family on. Unless they live on the border between the US and the Canada where travel costs may have been cheeper, for wedding guests, there is not only having to go out and get a passport because most American's don't have one, but there is air fare, hotel costs, food, transport, clothing, hair grooming costs associated with.. just "going to Canada" for a wedding. I don't think it's fair to just assume everyone can drop everything or can afford to go to a wedding even if it is for a cherished loved one. Even in the US, my brother got married in a remote place in Montana and for one weeks time, it costs me in total nearly 2 grand for that one wedding. I would not have done that for anyone but a sibling or parent.

• Anonymous

... now if the reason was something other than they couldn't afford to, that's a different story, but holding it against people because they cannot afford to do something you want them to do is crazy.

• Anonymous

money is no object with this family.

• Anonymous
    Way to perpetuate those ignorant but lasting stereotypes. You are way off the mark on your statistics. Nevertheless, I do agree EVERYONE should try to travel abroad as much as they can afford to.
    • Anonymous

PS - aside from the inaccurate numbers, it's a nice take. Thanks for sharing.

• Anonymous

LOL, you do understand a bit of sarcasm and humor don't you? The intro is just that as evidenced by the outro. I also mentioned that there are a lot of Americans who are breaking the stereotype, but it is a streotype with lots of truth behind it. As far as stats, I'm sure they are 100% wrong as they aren't actual real stats nor were they stated as such, but just for kicks, for some real stats, just 30% of US citizens have an actual passport. Of those, 10% managed to actually travel abroad in the past year. In the US, 29% of Americans have never been abroad in their entire lives. Of those that did leave the country, 50% went to either Mexico or Canada with the rest tending to visit places in Europe. Compare that with the 75% of Europeans who do travel abroad within the year, and well... it's not so much a stereotype as the truth for a lot of Americans. Thanks for reading/your comments.