6 Tips to Help You Beat Procrastination and Keep Your New Year Resolutions - Part 1

ChromAzonyx108
Tips to Help You Beat Procrastination and Keep Your New Year Resolutions - Part 1

So you've set your goals, made your resolutions, hit the ground running, ...but how long does that last? Here are some tips to help keep you on track to success:

1. Don’t wait until you feel like it

What if you never feel like it? Then nothing would ever get done.

Don’t think about finishing the job, just get started. It’s like how Newton’s first law goes: an object at rest tends to stay at rest, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. Getting started is the hard part but once you start then your momentum can keep you going.

2. Five minute takeoff

Try to stick with a task for 5 minutes - that’s all. If you have to be on task for short periods of time then there will be less resistance to doing it. After 5 minutes you may feel like carrying on and doing more, if not then at least you got something done.

3. Set deadlines

I have never self-imposed deadlines on myself before but I may give this a try. If a plan is long term with no clear end in sight, then you can put things off indefinitely. You need some idea of when you want to get things done or else they often won’t get done at all.

4. Break things down into smaller goals and tasks

If your goal is long term then you can decrease delay by breaking it down into smaller goals. Then work backward to create daily and weekly goals.

For example, if you want to give up alcohol (perhaps you drank too much on new year's eve) then start by going one day without alcohol. Then go for one week, one month, and so on, progressively reaching each smaller goal and before you know it you're clean.

I'm using this point right now by breaking down my take into parts to make it more manageable.

5. Make specific goals

Want to exercise? Okay, for how much? How long? Instead of saying I’ll exercise for a little bit today say I’ll exercise for 15 minutes or do 20 reps.

Want to lose weight? Again, how much and in what time frame?

6. Focus on the process, not the results

Measure your success by how much effort you’re putting in, because not everything is in your control.

5
6

Most Helpful Guy

• es20490446e
    There's a science proven method to beat procrastination.

The point is humans are timid by nature, and fear the unknown by default. That allowed us to survive in the jungle when getting mistaken could cost us our lives.

And that fear is the main cause of procrastinating things, things that are no longer that threatening if gone wrong. Setting simple assertive goals like "I have to get fit" or "I have to get a good job" automatically triggers plenty of fears on people.

But there's a proven work-around for that. Instead of making resolutions, you ask yourself small questions like:

Which smallest thing would ease?

The brain is curious by nature, and would start working on that immediately. Moreover it will forget about the fear.

proffittmanagement.com/.../...1-e1405334611791.jpg
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sara413
    I'd say the biggest thing is to focus on developing habits rather than focusing on particular goals like "lose 20 lbs".
    Is this still revelant?
    • That's kind of what I was getting at with point #6; I should've explained that more.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

45
  • Pig_Sty
    @Don’t think about finishing the job, just get started. It’s like how Newton’s first law goes: an object at rest tends to stay at rest, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. Getting started is the hard part but once you start then your momentum can keep you going.

Excellent perspective. Thanks for this! 👏
  • vishna
    Thanks :) what would you suggest to do if you're doing something but realize you're not getting much done ex) you've been at it for like 3 hours and haven't even finished half the objectives.
    • Making a game or competition out of boring chores can help you get them done quicker. For example, challenge yourself to see how much you can get done in one hour.

I'll have more tips like this in part 2.

• vishna

makes sense, thanks!

• OrangeBoy
    Try a new thing for 30 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNP03fDSj1U
  • rjroy3
    1. Shut up and do it.

Welp. That about sums it up.
  • AnotherConfusedGirl
    This is actually really useful,
    From a procrastinating train wreck
  • John_Doesnt
    I prefer energy drinks to beat my procrastination. Or pills.
  • cupidkisses
    Thank you for sharing !
  • Jordan_93
    Nice take really needed it!
  • lumberman9
    Taht's true organizing is helpful