My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

Disclaimer: I’m not advocating any sort of violence. I’m only advocating self defense rights. I personally believe that the primary goal in self defense is to apprehend/restrain the assailant(s) and or force the assailants into retreat before calling 911. Lethal force in self defense situations should never be the first option, lethal force should only be used as a last resort option. Secondly, be sure to confirm that the assailant is an actual assailant. Lastly, be sure to obey the self defense laws in your area even if you disagree with them.

Long story short, I support the right for people to defend themselves, their property and their loved ones from threats. A few months ago, I debated with someone who has liberal views on this topic. That wasn’t what really upset me, what upset me was that this individual thinks self defense rights should be repealed because it’s “evil” to subdue a assailant. Obviously I called out this individual on that illogical rhetoric. Below you’ll see why I believe self defense rights should be considered human rights and some laws that should be modified. Note: blue text are links to relevant articles.

My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

1. You don’t know what the assailant’s intentions are: Why take a chance? The person I debated with actually showed sympathy towards assailants by saying “how evil can you be” just because I said a person should have the right to subdue the assailant. Logically, you don’t know what the assailants true intentions are, so it’s best to take precautions by apprehending the assailant(s) before they actually carry out their intentions.

My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

2. Hiding is too risky: Another argument this person tried to use to oppose personal defense is saying that a person should “hide” and call 911 instead. The reason hiding is too risky is because the assailant has a chance of finding you and retaliating for calling 911. This is why it’s best to apprehend the assailant and then call 911. If you don’t have what it takes to fight back, then evacuate the house, call 911, let your neighbors know what’s going on since there’s a chance at least a couple of your neighbors will help apprehend the intruders(citizen’s arrest) until the police arrive.My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

3. Castle doctrine isn’t enough and isn’t protected: The castle doctrine only “allows” people to defend themselves or loved ones if the assailants are in private property. Even with this law, the person still runs the risk of getting into legal trouble just for defending themselves. The reason the castle doctrine isn’t enough is because it doesn’t protect self defense rights while in public. For that, the “stand your ground” has to be in effect.

My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

4. Stand your ground deters crime: This law allows citizens to defend themselves against assailants in public. With this law, a person has the right to use any means necessary to defend themselves from assailants in public. For example, if a person tries to steal your wallet, you have the right to subdue them and put them under “citizen’s arrest”. Unfortunately California doesn’t recognize “stand your ground”.

My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

5. Concealed carry: Concealed carry can be beneficial especially for those who like to go jogging a lot. Call me pessimistic but lone joggers run the risk of being assaulted, which is why they should be allowed to carry pocket pistols, tasers, pepper spray and any concealable weapon. Unfortunately states like California have notoriously strict laws regarding concealed carry even for weapons that aren’t guns.
My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

6. There needs to be Less limitations on concealable weapons: California has ridiculous laws that limit a person’s self defense weapons, including banning the purchase and ownership of brass knuckles, blast knuckles, batons etc. it’s even illegal to carry an item in public that “can be used as a weapon”. The only weapons that should be restricted are explosives.My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

7. No more guilty until proven innocent: The main reason why a lot of people are afraid to defend themselves is because they know they run the risk of getting into legal trouble. This is unacceptable, a person shouldn’t get into any kind of trouble just for defending themselves. Many innocent lives have been ruined just because of the “guilty until proven innocent” mentality. It should be innocent until proven guilty. Plus self defense has saved many lives.My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

8. Defending loved ones: A person should have the right to defend family and friends. For example parents defending their children. A person should also have the right to defend their pets.
My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

9. Defending property: A person should also have the right to defend their property(home, car, items etc) from any intruder/attacker. There is no logic in just letting a delinquent damage or steal property.My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

10. Help won’t teleport: Another argument people use is “why not just call 911?” Because help won’t arrive in a instant . It will take a while for help to arrive especially if there is traffic or if you are in a secluded area(mountain, woods etc) Yes, you should call 911 but you should also defend yourself and try to apprehend the assailant before he/she gets away. That way you can turn in the assailant to the police. My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

11. Confirmation: The one argument people like to use to “argue” against self defense rights is “What if you make a mistake?” Read what I said in the disclaimer, make sure you properly identify the suspect as a legitimate threat before you take action. Whether it be at home or in public.My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

Summary: Personal defense should be a natural human right. A person shouldn’t have to hesitate to subdue to a home invader or some assailant in public due to fear of getting into legal trouble. In my opinion, it’s morally wrong to infringe on a person’s self defense rights.My Opinion On Self Defense Rights

1319
ADFSDF1996 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• Why shouldn't we be allowed to hurt/kill someone who intends to hurt/kill us? I live in a place where it's illegal to carry a goddamn pepper spray , and I'm a small female that has to walk home alone every night. If I were to pepper spray some dude triple my size because he tried to kill me, I'd be the one getting arrested.
    Makes no sense to me.

• Once upon a time, you were allowed. But somewhere along the way, Britain went astray and now if you kill, maybe even just injure your attacker or burglar, you can go to jail.

Come visit Texas.

Most Helpful Guys

• Self defense is something that comes in very handy. I've been practicing martial arts since I was 5. Tang Soo Do, Boxing, Defensive wrestling, Muay Thai and Judo. I have also been trained by a police officer in what's called martial science; understanding the human body and how to manipulate it. I carry a pocket knife, brass knuckles, foldable baton and a comb that turns into a knife either on my person or in my bookbag at all times. I've gotten into a lot of confrontations in my life and I know what's it's like to get the wrong end of the stick for fighting back.

No one should fear about any repercussions when protecting themselves. I do support gun ownership in the home but not out in public though. I've had a guy pull a gun on me before, pulling a gun on him would have gotten me shot and killed. So instead I did this..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCnFvbBtcNs
    🎥 How to Defend Against a Gun to the Face Handgun Disarm...

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 11

• "Lethal force in self defense situations should never be the first option, lethal force should only be used as a last resort option."

My, my. You don't say!

• If i do get it right to win the fight il give it a try i won't worry about what the law says at a time of life and death. But its not as easy as it seems in the movies. Even small men are a lot strongervthan i am

• I guess too many ordinary people have taken judgement into their own hands and created a mess. Either by mistake, or by trying to do something to control the situation, they have escalated matters and ended up killing another person who could have been arrested and handed over to the law instead of bloodshed, or WORSE gotten themselves killed. Or by deliberately using some small toe over my boundary excuse to deliberately harm someone they don't like. It has happened.
    But consider this scenario:
    Someone who is for some reason, let's hope it's a logical one, enters your property to steal something they need real bad. You confront them, and they get scared and think you're attacking them. In these situations ordinary people at least are too shocked to be in control of their fear. So they try to defend themselves or in the heat of the moment, just fight back. One of you gets badly hurt, permanently disabled, or killed. If that person is you, it would be a terrible thing for you or your family. A loss that big even over the most valuable property in the whole world would not be worth it.
    If it's the other person, what if it's a hungry beggar looking for food? For himself, or for his child? Or a hurt person who needs help? Or some lost idiot driver trying to make a turn by backing into your property? Or even a dirty thief trying to steal your brand new Mercedes? In the first three cases wouldn't you be sorry and guilty for the rest of your life for killing someone over a trifle? In the fourth case, don't you think the punishment of death for stealing is too harsh?
    Anyway, we are neither specially trained or prepared to do such things, nor judges to decide what punishment someone deserves. There's a whole judicial system in place to make a sensitive decision such as that.
    Anyway, for myself, I will try not to get into such situations, I know some people have to based on their job requirements etc., but if the thing is about my property, unfortunately I will have to let it go. It's too risky for an unprepared inexperienced ordinary person like me. But I WILL get them arrested and I'm sure they can't escape the law for long. But if someone deliberately threatens my life or my loved ones', I'll have no other choice but to defend myself anyway I can, even if I end up in jail it's better than being dead. Which I hope I won't end up in if I was truly defending myself.

• I think it's easier said than done for anything like that, unless it's happened to you, you have no idea what you will do with all the adrenaline. If you or your house is under attack, most people won't sit and think "what did I plan for when this happens" you just go in fight mode.

• If you’re about to get hurt then I believe you can go on the defence. We shouldn’t just take it.
    I also think this whole thing about guys not hitting girls is stupid. If I hit a guy continuously in aggression I would expect some kind of reaction back.

• I agree with most of this except to say add that you may try to subdue an intruder but the intruder may not play ball.

• Great MyTake , thanks for sharing. I agree completely.

• Agree. Also if they're in my house and I don't know them, theyre intruders.

• great take!!

• Agreedddddd especially women

• interesting

What Guys Said 17

• If I am the assailant and I shoot you 1st then they later know you have a concealed weapon then I could claim "stand your ground" defense right?

I mean you would be dead and wouldn't be able to defend yourself in court anyways.

So that means none of these "reasons" are really necessary. The one who kill the other guy 1st wins.

That means if you see someone and you don't like him, you can shoot him.

• @oddwaffle That’s completely illogical. Assuming you somehow manage to survive, you would be the one that gets in trouble for tresdpassing and for being the aggressor. There’s no loopholes here. Plus if in the process of defending myself I incapacitate you, you’d be the one getting in trouble because you were the aggressor not me.

You completely took this out context and are using a non sequitur. You can’t go around attacking people just because you don’t like them. That’s not self defense.

• Also, which part did you see I show sympathy for the bad guy? Did you fail your reading comprehension?

• The premise of some of your replies indicated some sympathy for the bad guy but at least you clarified that don’t have sympathy for the bad guy. Now you are starting to make more sense. If I understand what you are saying, you actually mean that you don’t have a problem with self defense in general, you just don’t support the stand your ground law.

• "the primary goal in self defense is to apprehend/restrain the assailant (s) and or force the assailants into retreat "
    I disagree. The primary goal of self defense is to stop the attack using the most assured way possible while minimizing the risk to the innocent. Maximum application of lethal force is the best way to accomplish that goal.

• Nice article! The victim disarmament laws here in the peoples republic of New Jersey are the type of insanity that only a senile third world dictator would intact and then enforce. The right to own a hand gun for home defense is, for all practical purposes, illegal here in the peoples republic. But the voters here don't give a damn, so we submit to ever increasing levels of taxation and tyranny.

• I get what you’re saying, but I would still be very reluctant to defend myself if I was attacked because if I really hurt the guy there could be the possibility of me being charged with something, and if there were no other witnesses it could become a “he said, she said” situation

• I agree with most everything except for the defense of property. I understand that thieves are a menace. I understand theft sucks and I understand it can ruin your life, but deadly force is reserved for the defense of life and limb ONLY. If you see someone stealing your car in the driveway, snap a few pics, call the cops, keep track of which way they're going, and get a good description, but do not engage. Never go looking for a fight. That's stupid, and it's probably a fight you'll lose. Let them have the damn car. Cars are things, and things can be replaced. Lives cannot.

• Like I said, you can still detain the perpetrators until police arrive, you don’t have to harm them. That is called citizen’s arrest. Besides, you don’t know if those burglars/thieves will try to hurt you. So it’s best to detain them or at least scare them off after getting pictures of them.

• I'm all for lethal force in the event of a home invasion where life, limb, or family are threatened. What I'm not for is going out into the drive way where you see someone trying to steal your car and confronting them with a gun. That is looking for a fight, which is a big self defense no-no. If you see someone stealing your car in the drive way, do what you can to identify them for the police, but never engage. If they are a good distance from you and your loved ones, then that's a good thing. Don't alter that by escalating a situation with a needless confrontation.

• Yes, that’s what I was referring to. They have to be inside of a person’s house in order for the person to use self defense. Or if perpetrators target someone on the street, the person should have the right to defend themselves and or their loved ones against the perpetrators.

• Some criminal in breaking into my home. I will shoot him and make sure I kill him so he can't press charges. His choice he just picked the wrong house.

• For the most part I agree but the reason self defense can get you into trouble is because one could easily commit a murder and cover it up as self defense.

• "could easily commit a murder and cover it up as self defense."
      That is really hard to do. There would have to be motive for your victim to attack you in the first place. Then there would have to be evidence that that is what he was doing.

• Self defense in Cali is simple if you're aware of the bottom line of defense according to California's apparent laws. First and foremost , you must be a victim , before you strike back. Striking back must be a strike infiorior to the strike recieved and only one strike per strike recieved. Been there many times and victored many times through the system.

• Well said and this is a well written article.
    I agree with you.

• Self defense is bullshit unless you have a killing attitude,(the will to kill) which most people don't.
    I've trained in martial arts because I wanted to defend myself (but that grew into a passion for fighting. :P)
    One thing I've learned is running is a good strategy, zig zagging is better.
    It's tough to fight a person who's out to harm you.
    You think guns work in close range? A knife works better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0haocH4-o

• Here's my tips on self defense:
      Attack first: fuck the law, you can't deal with the consequence if dead.
      Have a sharp object: I use a pen with a sharp point. It's unassuming and I can use it with good accuracy
      Defuse situations: try not to fight.
      Don't be as dumb as Bruce Wayne's parents: Who walks into crime alley when you're a well know billionaire?

• With my Kung-Fu grip I don't need these self defense tips.

• i will defend myself and other men ifthe wahmens try to steal their monies

• Good take

• Very nice. Agreed

• Great Take

• Agreed

• Some of These are spot on some are not