10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

1. Turkey is an Arab country

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

No, Turks are a different nation. They migrated to Anatolia from middle Asia and did not have any relations with Arabs. Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan are in fact all Turkish states.

2. Turks speak arabic language

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

Turkish is a language belonging to the Altai language family and has nothing to do with arabic and there are many dialects in the Turkic language. Azarbaycan Turkish, kazak dialect, turkmen dialect, kyrgyz dialect, Uzbek dialect, turkish dialect, Uighur dialect.

3. There are deserts in Turkey

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

There is no desert regions of Turkey. There are three climates in Turkey:
- black sea climate (very rainy)
- mediterranean climate (arid and hot)
- continental climate
Turkey is a mountainous country, during winter in some areas of eastern Turkey snow can rise five meters.

4. Turks have brown hair and brown eyes

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

You can find all kinds of people in Turkey. Turks are usually white-skinned and dark-skinned people usually live in the east.

5. There is Sharia in Turkey

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

There is no official religion in Turkey and most of the Turkish women do not wear headscarves and religious people are very few.

6. Turkish women are not free

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

Turkish women earned their rights before many European women and women in Turkey really are free, everyone can dress as they wish and can marry whoever they want. The parents love their girls and support their daughters all the time and the average age of marriage is 20.

7. There is war in Turkey

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

There is no war in Turkey because the PKK is no longer in turkey. I am a Kurd and the PKK is really a terrorist organization. I have equal rights with a Kurdish citizen and a Turkish citizen. PKK forcibly takes money from Kurds, kidnaps kids and sells drugs. I live in Diyarbakır, The Pkk placed bombs on the streets of Diyarbakir 3 years ago and the police stopped them.

8. Turks want the Ottoman Empire back

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

Yes, we want to be strong but we do not want soil from any country.

9. Turks and Greeks hate each other

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

Turks and Greeks are very similar to each other. Yes we have some problems but it is not hate.
I love you, Greece!

10. There are ignorant people in Turkey

10 Common Misconceptions About Turkey

No,Turks are conscious and care about the problems of people in the world. I think half of Europeans and Americans do not know anything about other world countries. They are doing food wars but they do not care about people who died fasting on Earth and they do not know anything about history. Refugees are not wanted in Europe and xenophobia is too much. When a Muslim commits a crime, everyone thinks he is a terrorist, but when he kills a racist Muslim, the media says he's crazy. Hypocrisy...

215

Most Helpful Guys

• What about the genocide Turkey committed against the Armenians in the 1900's? Or the massacre of the Bulgarians in 1876?

• Oh my god I was just about to ask the exact same thing concerning the Armenian genocide

• Sorgulayan_birey You're Turkish, of course you're gonna say it wasn't a genocide. You're biased. But I've studied about it plenty and have met Armenian families that had family members tortured and killed. It was definitely genocide.

• I met dozens of tortured and murdered Turkish and Kurdish families

• If you idolize the Ottoman Empire you are ignorant. European colonialism has improved the countries it conquered with technology and healthcare. The Ottoman Empire was guilty of mass rape and murder and in the face of it European populations declined significantly. Not true with European colonialism. What rights did Turkish women have before European women? European women could be free of men since Medieval Times by joining a nunnery, until of course Muslim hordes came forth to rape the nuns and enslave them as "war booty." Some Kurds like the PKK and others do not, but it is still a war.

• In terms of education is it not Turkish citizens who are coming to US universities to study not the other way around?

• Thanks

• Turkey in 1934 and gave women the right to vote. This is preceded by a lot of European countries. In addition, Turkish culture is matriarchal. Look at the history. You will see that Turkic women are fighting and politics. In addition, there is a Turkish politician in our country and the vote rate is 10%. European colonialism has improved the countries it conquered with technology and healthcare? Ugh... I have never seen such an ignorant person in my life.

Most Helpful Girl

• Turkey breaks the NATO, and MUN laws on the time.
    They violate the borders of the greek aegean sea all the time and even if they asked by everyone to stop they continue and they make their relationship with the rest of the world even worst than already is. They broke also other laws, and they completely destroyed their relationship with Serbia when they took violently and kiled the turkish political refugees that did something against Erdogan to their country even when EUROPIAN UNION LAWS PROTECTS THEM.
    Now they are behaving extremely arrogantly, rude and bad against Greece, Russia, Serbia, Israel and Europian Union in General.
    They continue to threat and to try to turn people against the whole world.
    In my opinion Turkey will get destroyed by USA and Russia if this continues

• it is a little difficult :D :D

• I do not care what you think :D
      good bye baby

• Why are you not talking about massacres that serbs did to us or greeks that violates our borders.
      They are aggresive to us and they deserve every aggresive behaviour from us.
      Fuck serbia and greece

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 13

• I will say this: Turkey came a long way in a very short period of time after the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire. The establishment of the Republic of Turkey in the 1920s was a massive departure from all that had come before in the history of the Turkish people. So I applaud them for that. They live in a tough neighborhood, sandwiched between the old Soviet Empire, the Balkans, and the Middle East. I wish them the best, because Turkish prosperity is important to the stability of the region.

• I am turk too nice take but greece and turks dont hate each other is not true. Greeks and Turks hate each other. If you dont hate greeks its your idea you can't generalisenit to all turks. Most turks hate greeks and most greeks hate turks.

• "When a Muslim commits a crime, everyone thinks he is a terrorist, but when he kills a racist Muslim, the media says he's crazy. Hypocrisy..."
    When an Islamist commits a terrorist attack, the media talks about him as a "poor minority" who only did it because of their beloved "systematic oppression" but when a white person commits a violent crime, the media jumps all over white people.

• umm the second one would have been great of it's true but unfortunutely it doesn't happen no matter how much you claim it.

• Informative. I actually have a lot of Greek family and they really do hate the Turkish, it's exhausting just listening to them talk about it, so I just ignore them. I'm glad to hear it doesn't go both ways.

• It is good to know that
    But the general idea is the opposite, sadly
    I know they are good people everywhere , and i would love to visit Turkey soon :)
    Thank you for sharing this

• *There are ignorant people in Turkey*
    There are ignorant people everywhere.

• I mean no country is going to be completely gone from ignorance, but you're right to say that Turkey isn't Hell.

• Cool I like turkey.

• Nice take but
    #KRU

• I don't have a single misconception you mentioned

• Turks hate arabs lol

• this is not true

• bro because those who wrote these books improved themselves while writing the next book :D ahahaha

• @zeus_hera seriously lol

• It's kind of ignorant to say there are no ignorant people in Turkey. There are shitty people everywhere. But regardless, some of my closest friends are Turks, and I've never had an issue with them. Generally very friendly people

What Girls Said 1