Should We Not Talk About Controversial and Difficult Topics in Public?

Close your fists and open your mind

I say yes to controversial topics, because it will spread awareness on a subject that is not widely known, help issues that need to be fixed (but aren't because people are too sensitive to talk about anything these days i.e. being offensive about everything), and will also cause the general public to stop being so private about their opinions.

Actually, in my opinion, I think that people are so easily offended that it just defeats the purpose of any intelligent conversation to be offered. It doesn't have to be politics or religion per se, but just controversial topics to compel people to open their minds to the world and not submit to any one way of thinking. I do not mean that a person is obligated to keep that conversation going if they feel uncomfortable, but it does give the individual several things to mull over and helps them become more open-minded to the world.

Unless it is very offensive (racial or some such thing), I openly speak my mind. I find it refreshing to just debate/talk about controversial topics in an intelligent way rather than just skirting all intelligence and having a bland conversation. So many people are just interested in the latest gossip about celebrities and who is sleeping with who. No wonder the government, certain scientific communities (i.E. The pharmaceutical companies), and other organizations are able to get away with such surprising atrocities!!

Open your eyes people and stop shutting your mouth (unless it's just going to be an ignorant slur). So yes, controversial conversations are fine to be talked about in public and I find it hilarious that it's "impolite" to talk about such things. But there are general social guidelines; there is always a place and time for such conversations and then there are times where it is just inappropriate (a wedding, for example).

I don't mean that it's okay to push your opinions down another person's throat, but to speak about it in such a way where it is thought-provoking and open-minded to all possibilities.

1229

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 12

• I agree, a great debate is refreshing! And good for people! Literally, it's a good thing as you've so eloquently stated above. Anyway, I agree and your opinion is exactly how I feel.

• only with mature and respectful individuals that are open to other perspectives. Otherwise, it's a waste of a time
    Unfortunately, politics brings out the worst in people and it's tiring af to be involved in so much negativity and toxicity. No fucking thanks

• I feel like if it is mentioned in a respectful way and it isn't going to end up with everyone screaming at eachother by the end of the conversation I don't see why it shouldn't be brought up. It's a necessary thing to talk about, but it should be done with respect toward opposing views. Otherwise fights break out and obviously that's not really... ideal? For a public place? Or at all really.

• We should be able to, there should be no problem. The thing is there are lots of ignorant people out there and a simple inoffensive opinion could lead to an ugly argument, fight, etc...

• Well if u run into someone ignorant or who dosnt properly understand the topic u should try and educate them but remember to keep your cool otherwise u dont get anywhere and it leads to that take responsibility for ur own emotions not being in check

• Then let them get into fights, an "open society" is an honest one. Too many people are conceited these days, and this leads to more hate than necessary...

• Some people are willfully ignorant and will take different opinions as personal attacks

• You can, but not all day everyday. It gets annoying and no one wants to hear why you think Hillary sucks or why Trump is a bigot, all the time.

• Of course we should.

• Never. Fuck politics.

• Good take

• 5d

Yes the simple rule of no religion or politics talk in public or large family meetings still is a good one.

• I think we should talk about how guys are hoes and how a lot of y’all are raping a lot of women. That’s what should be talked about.

• I don't rape women and i'm a guy, of course, i'm asexual and aromantic

• That's a very arrogant statement to make, just because some men do things like that doesn't mean all males are the same. If a girl dresses up as a slut and has multiple sexual partners is this a clear indication that All women are sluts?

• i think we *should* talk about difficult topics in public... but we should talk about those topics well. and more often than not, we can't. and i think those conversations (which ends up being people yelling at each other) do more harm than good.

What Guys Said 29

• Most people are sheep that are good for no more than unquestionably adhering to what is often referred to as "group-think".

This is why democracy is a joke, most people are thick and ignorant as shit, and undeserving of a place in any organised "society", let alone the "right" to "vote" in "elections"... Elections that are otherwise rigged by the uber-rich banking elite...

• Only weak people try to silence other opinions and views. If your own ideas cannot stand to take criticism and scrutiny, your ideas are wrong.
    Of course we need to talk about controversial/difficult topics, them more so than all others.

• Same. I agree that every issue should be open for discussion/debate. It's how people learn new things and expands their horizons and viewpoints. I think it's an utter shame that people are being a lot more like "thought police" and suppressing discussions that need to be taking place for the possible betterment of society. Sanitizing everything just creates a private backlash eventually.

• "Unless it is very offensive"
    What is very offensive? I know you listed a racial slur as an example and that is offensive to people of that race, but it's not so much to other people. We should be able to say anything without government interference. That is free speech and all I ask. I would prefer as well for public universities to allow all forms of speech because that's how you learn about the world. You need to see the "good" and "bad" and decide for yourself.

• We keep our eyes and minds open, our ears to hear every whispering, our nostrils to smell every corupted body arround us and when we do, we must say that, so everyone can hear and know for themselves. If we don't speak of what's wrong we may also just die right here.

• no. not because they're controversial, but apparently most humans are too stupid and ignorant to talk about them without, being respectful, generalizing, saying dumb shit that's flat out wrong, and/or having an original thought for themselves on the matter

• People are the problem, not the topic. People nowadays are used to being told what to believe, so nobody knows how to actually debate. Even the smallest inconsequential disagreement can descent into a shouting match or fistfight.

• We absolutely should people should stop being offended because someone has an opposing view tho. Regardless the problem is there and someones gotta talk about it. The goal should b to keep it civil and if u can't do that u need to pull urslef out of the conversation

• Anyone who thinks Trump is a Nazi is too fucking stupid to bother debating. Trump is an obnoxious jerk, and a statist, but Nazi? Only a historically ignorant moron could seriously consider the notion.

How's that?

• Lets go further...

Trump is an ULTRA-KOSHER ZIONIST who's going to be instrumental in rip-tiding a race war in America...

Getting cold shivers of awkwardness up your spine yet?

• 6d

Nazis didn't exist for a start.

• 5d

We should, and i encourage it.

But nowadays it can br futile to debate as no one in it will change their mind and will continue to stick to their guns regardless of what facts are presented. And facts aren't really facts anymore. We can contest them, provide our own statistics and claim them as fact. Making truth hard to find.

• We should definitely talk about controversial and difficult topics. The fact that they are controversial and difficult means it's probably more important to talk about them than topics that aren't considered either of those things.

• People think for themselves when any official government or bully think they can make you knuckle under to theyre will way or thought process tellem suck your donkey kong

• We SHOULD, but too many people resort to add hominem and other fallacies. The worst is when you point out that someone isn't using a rational argument and they just keep name calling.

• Most people seem to lack any degree of higher cognitive functions, and therefore argumentation these days... Worrying...

• The problem is some people don't want debate. They want to just push their options down other people's throats and refuse to listen to anything the other person has to say.

• The problem is no one discusses opinions. They immediately tell you how stupid you are because THEY KNOW.

• Abortions for all and socialism is awesome!

There I said something controversial and I request a Satanic funeral when I die.

• Yeah such topics should be discussed because these are the ones which increases our method of thinking and out coming knowledge

• How clever, they tried to make the dollar signs look like swastikas. What will these people think of next?

• A person that doesn't know how a sausage is made shouldn't eat it.

• Mostly agree, but just wondering what is your problem with the pharmaceutical companies, is it the opioid crisis or something else?

• we have to talk about these things or they will be kept inside the group, which creates more problems

• Sure we should, but you can’t force people too. Also in the age of technology “awareness” isn’t necessarily an issue anymore.

• As a species we need to be strong and unified, and of course on the same page meaning of course we should have civil discussion of different opinions. Rather than having some random nobody representing us even if they aren't in any way shape or form like us or even understand us but feeed the masses what they want. Tell them what they want. We force ourselves to be put in a line. It's sad. But seemingly if you looked at it from the most logical perspective the perfect utopia would be considered a camp but everyone is well fed, and maintained. Just like the worker ants we are. Maybe I went of topic but simply we need to talk more as its how we are meant to be. Talking interacting with our fellow man.

• We can talk about anything we want to :D

• Close

• We should but people get offended too easily

• We should have open dialogue no matter the topic

• I talk about shit like that everyday, and people, who overhear me, look at me like I'm crazy. I really don't give a shit what they think about my views on life. I'll say whatever the fuck I want (which isn't legal in my country). Oh yeah, and Jesus is a cunt.

• Agreed. Because the last thing we need is for people to stop saying what they believe is right just because they are afraid of what someone else will say or do.

mynorthwest.com/.../