The Golden Rule is Not Enough

noelic

I've had this discussion with my coworkers for a few days now and I'm trying to convince them that the Golden Rule is actually pretty bad. Why?

What is the Golden Rule? It comes in different forms but it always goes along the lines of

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

It sounds great but when you get to the nitty and gritty of it, it really doesn't.

First, the Golden Rule assumes the way you want to be treated is the best way to treat others. We all know for a fact that our definitions of being treated well are different from one another. For example, and I know this is a bit polarizing but, if you fundamentally think that eating meat is how you want to be treated, try doing that to a vegan.

Next, since it makes us assume and therefor leads to becoming self-centered. Increased levels of self-focus can become unhealthy, and in turn leads lesser awareness of others. This goes against an implied meaning of the Golden Rule where it tries to teach harmony. It actually works against it.

Last, it doesn't promote diversity. If others liked what you would do unto you, and others abide by that then you may condition yourself into a group-think situation - it sounds like a bad idea, but the group likes it, therefore it must be good. Diversity goes against the rule because the whole world isn't like you.

I propose instead that you follow the Platinum Rule instead

Treat others the way they want to be treated.

This way, we embrace individuality, respect each other's difference, and leads to a more self-less attitude.

The Golden Rule is Not Enough

#platinumrule #leadership

The Golden Rule is Not Enough
2
8

Most Helpful Guy

• NYCstreetPhotog
    Now I champion learning to communicate effectively with others means using their preferred communication style, and I don't inherently dismiss someone elses preferred living style, but I can't see how this is possible or practicle.

I eat meat, but that isn't a way to be treated, so my interactions with vegans has nothing to do with their eating preferences.

Self centered? Every human being is self centered and selfish, that isn't a pessimistic view, it's an inherent fact. Everything we do is in it's own way beneficial to ourselves. Selfish isn't a good or bad word, the actions are, so it isn't automatically wrong to be selfish.

Diversity? Your aurgument is that it forces others to conform to your ideals, but then you just flip it and think that automatically changes the outcome. If the golden rule doesn't promote diversity, then neither will your rewritting of it.

Look, the golden rule is a basis for the individual, a moral pointer, nothing more, it's not an end all be all, it doesn't say everyone treat eachother exactly the same, it says you shouldn't hurt (kill, mame, cheat, etc.) someone else if you don't want them to do that to you. It doesn't stop that person from doing it, nor does it imply they have to treat you the same way.

No person can possibly know how every other person wants to be treated! You can only use your own personal moral norms to figure out the best possible assumption on it, and that's what the golden rule prescribes.
    Is this still revelant?
    • noelic

If we use the rule on communication techniques, it works wonderfully since effective communication requires that we adjust based on our audience. Good catch!!

• Except communication is a tool, while the golden rule is a basis for moral standing. That's like suggesting using an apple pealer to figure out how to fall in love. It may work, but it just isn't the right application.

• noelic

You're unto something there! So if we were to use the rules on how we use tools, which one do you believe would work better?

Most Helpful Girl

• anon1903
    I like the Platinum rule much better. It makes sense.

Since little we're taught to respect everyone and treat them w kindness. What if they don't deserve it?
    Is this still revelant?
    • noelic

I believe the platinum rule is trying to imply that, if you wanted to make a decision, choose respect and kindness. Otherwise, as another poster mentioned, you can choose not to.

• anon1903

you will have to pardon my saying so but not everyone you meet deserves it

• noelic

I've listened to arguments were the firing of people from the job is an act of kindness. What do you think of that?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

17
  • A-man-22
    No both rules are bad.

Treat others how they deserve to be treated.

The rule you put leads to lack of self respect and manipulation.

You shouldn't do as everyone asks of you. You should be considerate but not their personal tool.
    • noelic

Good elaboration!

• noelic

Would you then say that you are the judge of what others deserve?

• A-man-22

Their actions have consequences.

They provide their own material to be judged on.

Everyone deserves a level of basic respect.
      But would you treat a mass murderer with the same level of respect as a charity worker?

• Jesse0
    What is someone wants to be praised and idolized? Or what if someone wants to be isolated? I guarantee we'd all want someone to care for us, talk to us and appreciated -- now if we do unto others as we would do unto ourselves; truly, we are loving our neighbors.
    • Jesse0

What if*

• noelic

So far, the main argument is when do we say that we know better? If we aren't from the same background then "better" can become extremely polarizing. Instead, would it be more precise to ask the recipient of our deed, "How may I help you?" instead of "This is how I'll help you."

• Jesse0

Name of person who doesn't want to be loved 😂

• goaded
    Your rule only works if you both follow it; I prefer goaded's corollary to the golden rule:

If someone treats you badly, then that's the way they want to be treated, so go ahead!

(In practice, it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit-for-tat.)
  • I think one from Spinoza is better
    What do to others you must also accept that it is proper for them to do in turn.

Want to cheat? Ok, but you cannot complain if they cheat on you.
    Want to rape? Ok but you cannot complain when someone rapes you.
    Want to steal a couple dollars for cigarettes? Ok but you cannot complain when someone does that to you.
    • noelic

"Don't do to others what you don't want others to do to you"

It's a slight modification to the Golden Rule. What difference does it have with the original, in terms of addressing the self-centered nature of the Golden Rule?

• It doesn’t really. But instead of framing it as treat others how you want to be treated, it frames it as anything you do is automatically acceptable for others to do, not just to you but in general.

• noelic

So if you are to do something, and it's morally unacceptable to the other, you shouldn't do it to them?

• osili
    now you just writing a your belief of the golden rule in laymans term it is be kind to one another and help where help is needed but doing it for no other reason or sumthing more then thank you be as good today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not promised
  • MisterAnon69
    I want you to give me all you belongings and kill yourself. Much obliged random stranger.

What a fucking cuck mentality.
  • ItsAMeA
    What about "Try and act in a way that if everyone acted this way, it would lead to the most beneficial outcome for everyone." ?
  • grega239
    Agree. It's total bullshit
    • osili

until its you its happening to