Do you consider yourself to be patriotic?

Do you think over devotion can be bad? (not being nationalistic, but just taking a hell load of pride in ur country) Do you think its fair to say it creates further divisions among countries?
oops forgot to say, pls mention which country ur from too

44115

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I don't consider myself patriotic.
    I'm from Switzerland. Am I *happy* and *grateful* to have been born here when I could have been born in Somalia or North Korea? Absolutely.

But pride? Why should I be proud to have been born on this patch of dirt right here rather than on that patch of dirt over there? Not only are political borders highly arbitrary, my birth location was also very much coincidental. I didn't achieve or do something special to become a Swiss citizen - I was simply lucky.
    Now, some people might say that they are proud of the historical accomplishments of their nation but again, I feel rather detached from those things. I'm not among the "heroes" of my country; I didn't participate in writing the constitution or in sparking the reformation in Europe, or in building the magnificent public rail system or in fighting for civil rights during the General Strike in 1919. I'm not even related to those people as far as I know. I'm literally just some dude.

• Oh and I think at @tartaarsaus made a good point about feeling connected to people. In my case, I do feel connected to SOME Swiss people but not to all of them. And that's an important point here. For example my wife and I literally come from the opposite sides of the planet, yet we felt very connected to each other soon after we first met. In the same way, there might be guys or girls in Argentina or Vietnam or Iceland or South Africa that could all become close friends of mine. I might easily have more in common with those people than, say, with a 70-year old, very conservative, catholic mountain farmer in central Switzerland.
      Of course culture does play a role in how well we can connect with people. But I also think that political borders deceive us into thinking that everyone inside of them fits together and everyone outside of them does not fit in. When in reality, we are all human beings, with hobbies, interests, desires, character traits etc.

• @TheUglyMan
      No, I find local patriotism just as strange as national patriotism. Of course I feel connected with my canton and especially with my city; and I love living where I live; but I wouldn't call that "patriotism". For me, what is typical about patriotism is that people usually can't explain why they love their country (or region), they just do. We all know the phrase "cuz 'Murica!" That, for me, is patriotism: I love my country because... reasons... and things.

Personally, I try to be more objective than that. I praise my country (or canton/city) for things they do well in my opinion and I criticize them for things they do bad. And the kind of love I feel towards my city isn't what I would call "pride", it's more an appreciation for the good things about it.
      I have lived abroad twice (one time in America and one time in South Korea) and both times I felt the same feeling for those places/countries I was living in. There were things I liked and other things I didn't like.