Technology In The 90's vs Now: A Side By Side Comparison

I was a 90's kid and I think about that time a lot because it was a happy time for me. It was also a simple time has far as technology goes. It wasn't as advanced or complex as it is today. Which, is why I decided to write about this topic. See, I was thinking if kids today were sent back to the 90's they'd probably have a melt down because you couldn't use certain technical devices back then like you can now.

So, here is a side by side comparison of the 90's tech vs today's.

Cellphones:

Cellphones in the 21st Century

Today cellphones are basically able to do everything. You can make calls, receive calls, text, video chat, check e-mail etc. Not to forget all the 900 gazillion apps they have now. Plus, they have touch screens. The only thing it can't do is cook you a meal and do your laundry (I'm sure that day will come)

Cellphones in the 90's

In the 90's cellphones weren't that complicated. You actually had to press numbers and the only thing it could do was make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls, but that's it.

Home Phones in the 90'sCellphones were only used when a person was out. They didn't use them for everything like they do today. In the 90's people had home phones and that's where most people did their talking, at home. The phones were simple and non-complex.

Computers:

Computers in the 21st Century

Today's computers are way more advanced and you can do anything and go any where you like online. They have flat screens and the mouse is wireless. It's a tech persons dream.

Laptops In the 21st Century

Laptops today are pretty much just as advanced as computers and people use their laptop much more then they use a home computer.

Computers in the 90's

Back in the 90's computers were big , bulky and came with tons of equipment to set up. They took up a lot of room and you weren't able to do as much on them back then.

Laptops in the 90's

Much like computers the 90's laptop were also kind of bulky and I think people mostly used them for writing or work but nothing more.

Televisions:

Televisions in the 21st Century

T.V.s today are flat screened, can be hung on the wall, they're big and have Hi-Definition. It's totally teched out.

Televisions in the 90's

Back in the 90's T.V.s were big and took up space. Most people had an entertainment center or a T.V. stand to put the T.V. on. Though I didn't pay much attention, I don't think Hi- Def existed back then (at least where T.V.'s are concerned).

Windows Technology:

Windows in the 21st CenturyWindows is pretty advanced now it's up to Windows 10. A new version comes out all the time and every version has the ability to do something bigger and better than the last.

Windows in the 90's

Computer technology wasn't very big back then, neither was Windows. Back in the 90's people had Windows 95 and then when Windows 98 came out people were totally excited about that. It was like the greatest advancement ever.

Video Game Systems:

Video Game Systems in the 21st Century

I don't know much about video game systems but I know that they are more advanced now. You can do so much more with them and can even communicate with people through them (from what I understand).

Video Game Systems in the 90's

There weren't many video gaming system choices back then. I remember Nintendo and Sega but that's about all there was I believe, until the first original Playstation came along, which back then people were totally excited about. It was the coolest.

Video Games:

Video Games in the 21st CenturyI don't know much about the most popular video games now because that's not something I'm into. However, I know the video game technology is more advanced which makes the games more realistic. There's even more video game choices.

Video Games in the 90's

Again, this is not something I've ever been into but I remember all the commercials for all the most popular games back then and there weren't nearly as many. I remember there being Mario & Luigi, Crash Bandicoot, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sypro the Dragon but that's all I remember. There may have been more but those I believe were the main ones.

Music Devices:

Music Devices in the 21st Century

Music devices now are iPods and there are many versions of them. I know you can listen to music on your cellphone and I imagine that's what most people use.

Music Devices in the 90's

Back then you could use a Walkman which was for audio cassette tapes or the wonderful invention of the Discman, which was for compact discs. Those were your only two choices though.

Cameras:

Cameras in the 21st Century

I think most people take pictures with their phones and also make videos with their phones, because you can do all that with a cellphone. I'm not sure if people even use an actual camera nowadays.

Cameras in the 90's

Back in the day you had to use an actual camera that you put film into. You also had the option of a Polaroid camera and the picture would come out instantly. That's how you took pictures in the 90's

Video Recording in the 90'sIf you wanted to make of video of something, you had to use a camcorder to record whatever it was. That's how you made videos in the 90's.

Information Downloads:

Information Downloads in the 21st CenturyIn this decade, if a person wants to transfer something they wrote or any files they have on the computer, they put it on a flash drive, which can store up to a certain amount of data.

Information Downloads in the 90's

In the 90's if you wanted to transfer something, you put it on a floppy disc. That's how you stored info back then.

Entertainment Devices:

Entertainment Devices in the 21st CenturyIn this era we have DVD players and Blue-ray disc players to watch movies on. It's very high tech.

Entertainment Devices in the 90's

Back in the 90's if you wanted watch a movie, the only choice was bulky VCR to put your video cassette tape into. That was how people in the 90's watched movies.

Social Media:

Social Media in the 21st CenturyThere are tons of social media sites and places to go to in this day and age. You have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Snap Chat and the list goes on.

Social Media in the 90's

There wasn't actually any social media in the 90's. The most a person had back then was AOL instant messenger but, that was about it (as far as I know).

Internet Connections:

Internet Connections in the 21st Century

In this time most everything is a wireless connection. You don't have to do anything to go on the internet, just open your computer and that's it.

Internet Connections in the 90's

Back then wireless didn't exist. You had to use a dial up connection to get online. It made this annoying sound, plus it tied up the phone lines because it was using your phone lines to get you

online. It was work.

Movies, Books & Music:

Getting Movies, Books & Music in the 21st Century

In this decade everything is literally at your fingertips and if you want something, all you do is press a button then instantly you get what you want.

Movies: If you want a movie you go to Netflix or Hulu or any other site where you can get movies and T.V. shows from. You click on what you want, then boom you got it. You don't even have to leave the house.

Books: If you want a book you can go to any site where you can get books from and download it to your tablet or whatever device you have, then instantly you have a book. You don't even have to turn the page.

Music: If you want music you go to the iTunes store or any other place you can download music from, then instantly you have your music. Again, you don't even have to leave your house.

Getting Movies,Books& Music in the 90'sIn the 90's nothing was ever readily available and handed to you on a sliver platter, you actually had to leave your house and put in the effort to get the thing you wanted.

Movies: In the 90's if you wanted to watch a movie you had to go to the video store and rent one. Then return it back to the store when you were done with it.

Books: In the 90's if you wanted a book you either went to the bookstore and bought it or you went to the library to borrow one. Then when you were done with the book you took it back to the library.

Music: If you wanted a vinyl record or audio cassette tape or CD , you went to the music store to get one of those three things. You had to look around the store to find what you wanted.

That's how you did things in the 90's

I know technology advancements can be a good thing, especially where medicine and other important things are concerned. However, it can also be a bad thing. When everything is so easily accessible to you without any effort, why wouldn't you think all of life is that way?

I like the simpler times because things were good and not complicated. That's why I'll always love the 90's it brought simplicity.

1136
loveisbeautiful is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• Love old school technology. I miss the sound of an old school dial up modem. But aside from mobile phones I don't think technology was simple at all then, it was cumbersome, slow and annoying.. remember having to make a note of the COUNTER to remember where your favourite song was on a tape... Video tapes unbundling themselves in the video player... Having to wait like w minutes for a picture to draw on the screen or 15 minutes for a small low quality music file to download on to your computer, oh, and the ordeal of having to deal with dial up, or all, or both..
    That said though, I do miss games consoles like the mega drive where you could play sonic and micro machines, simple and enjoyable.
    However, being able to have instant photos on your phone, stream music and videos without thinking about it, and easily connecting with loads of people is simply awesome...

• The Nintendo you shows is 80's. In the 90's we had Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis early in the decade. Then the CD systems like 3D0 and Turbo Graphix16 were popular until the Playstation came out in the mid 90's and it took over.

• Well, that's the Nintendo system my friend had growing up in the 90's and I don't remember another one other then that.

• That was my thought, the NES was late 80s, and the SNES and 64 were 90's.

Most Helpful Girls

• I loved some of the old things, especially games consoles, cute, but love the way that technology has progressed so that there is now more choice and it is far cheaper to buy a new wonderful washing machine than repair the old one. I love retro stuff, just bought some lazer technology and have a lot of flashing ceiling lights in different colours in various rooms, great for meditation and relaxing or simply when you want more colour.

• Those are all just things- technology that of course will change. The BIG thing that has changed is our culture. Men and women don't date anymore- they hook up. And they don't dress anymore- they gou out looking like they are going to softball practice. And the races are mixing and going out together. Morality has gone to hell, we have school shootings that we didn't use to have. Jeez that's some of the real differences- not the size of our telephone.

• Okay. This was about technology though and how everything is so easy for everyone to get. Also, there's nothing wrong with different races being together and I find that insulting since my Aunt is married to a guy who's Mexican. He's like the nicest person you'd ever meet. Not to mention one of the most special people in my life lives and is from South East Asia and he has the best heart in the world. That's a very closed minded way of thinking.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 34

• 👍 I still remember a lot of these things.
    #1. My grandparents still have flip phones. All they do is make calls and voicemail. That's all they need anyway. The home phones with the dialer that goes in circles was fun to play with when I was a kid. Accidentally called police once.
    #2. My grandfather is very conservative and refuses to throw away anything unless it's actual trash. He still has a fat computer screen and desktop with Windows 98 stored in a closet. I wonder if it still works 🤔
    #3. Believe it or not but I still have a small screen yet bulky TV in my former bedroom at my parents house. I don't even have a TV in my apartment. I don't watch Netflix or whatever.
    #4. I still have my Playstation 1 in my closet. And a few games. Haven't played in years. Have two controllers and two memory cards.
    #5. My grandparents have a bunch of audio cassetts so they have a cassett player to play the audio. No video tape player though. I think it broke. The most annoying part was doing the fast forward or rewind and constantly ending up in the wrong position.
    #6. I have and still use my Panasonic FZ150 camera. I prefer it over my smartphone because it's easier to hold, has more options, and better zoom.
    #7. Hard to imagine how any info we have today could fit onto a floppy disc. I remember using AOL Instant Messenger up until 2008 I think. It was pretty good in my opinion.
    #8. The sound made when connectjng to the internet was actually my favorite part. I don't know, it just sounded cool to me. Blocking the phone line and slow speed obviously sucked. Browsing the net to find info on school material took a long time.
    #9: All movies, books and music at your fingertips. Haven't used my library card in like 15 years if not longer. Got ebooks, Netflix (even though I don't have an account, everyone else seems to have one), and just record online for free. I got over a thousand songs on my phone. Most came from online sources.

• I'm a 1990's person also. Thanks for the memories...

• Accurate.
    I wasn't born in the mid-80s or early 90s so I wouldn't know, although my brother is definitely a 90s kid and it's likely he does remember the struggle.

• shit dude, try being a child of the 50s, i remember our first tv. I've listened to "the shadow". you have no idea what simple really is... lol

• Okay. I'm not really sure why everybody has to turn everything into a competition on here. I'm just saying for me the 90's were simple and a lot simpler then today, today sucks. Besides, my dad is the old school type so everything as a kid was way old school. So, I do know what simple is. I like simple.

• me too, i love simple and live simple, onl have this damned pc cuz its the worlds greatest reference library... lol

• Great Take. I think the advances in software are much more of a quantum leap than in computer hardware. Processing speeds, too.

• I like comparing technology. People seeing these kind of changes should take what they have for granted less. (Although some of the best games are old school, just not in graphics.)

• Despite the technological difference the 90s were my favorite time, loved them more then then I love the present day.

#makethe90sgreatagain

• Flash drives are outdated. Everything syncs in the cloud. And same for entertainment devices maybe a console but its a more often a smart tv with netflix/hulu/amazone prime/spotify.

• The cloud isn't necessarily a good thing. I still use flash drives myself. Just because it's the newest thing, doesn't make it better.

• Ahh Dial up! Man how things have changed! That was a fun article! Thanks for posting it!

• Interesting. And I started with 1950ies technology. My parents bought a TV when I was 16 because my dad became studio director.

• Show more from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 9

• Flat screen TV was a huge improvement. Smartphones are useful, but too many people are addicted to them & don't pay attention to the real world.

• I personally prefer walkmans and diskmans to the ipod. I don't know why.

• I feel so old for remembering all these so well.

• Tfw too young to know what any of this is

• Good take. My samdung phone does it all.

• Love this!

• Great My Take.

• I loved the old Nintendo i try explaining all these things to my kids and they just look at me funny like blockbusters on a Friday night to rent movies

• I love this. Great take