I want to start rejecting technology! It destroys peoples self worth!

I want to start rejecting the world of complex technology entirely. That means no laptop, no Internet, no phone, no washing machine, no tapped water, no gas, no fridge, no television or electronic music; no anything requiring the copper-mining, oil-rigging, plastics-manufacturing essential to the production of a single toaster or solar photo-voltaic system.

That probably sounds like I will given up a lot of stuff. But while I intend to be clear and honest about the difficulties involved in the change coming, especially living in the current digital age, I’m just as fascinated in exploring lessons about life,that lie ahead in my future as myself, society, the natural world. My world would have stopped between the years of 1800 – 1840. That would the years of my tipping point.

Rejecting technologies that my generation considers to be the basic necessities of life is not done on a thoughtless whim. My writing is different, my pencil unaided by both copy-and-paste and the easy delete, two word-processing functions reflective of a generic, transient and whimsical culture; and it has been a while since the media and publishing worlds worked by snail mail. It is like being back in grammar school days and back to having a old fashion pen pals writing hand written letters back of fourth.

Technology destroys people. We’re already cyborgs (pacemakers, hearing aids) of a sort, and are well on our way to the type of Big Brother dystopia of the techno-utopians. And look at the state of us. Our toxic, sedentary lifestyles are causing industrial-scale afflictions of cancer, mental illness, obesity, heart disease, auto-immune disorders and food intolerances, along with those slow killers, loneliness, clock-watching and meaninglessness. We seem to spend more time watching porn than we do making love. Relationships are breaking down because we stare into screens instead of eyes, while social media are making us antisocial and mindless souls.

Living without complex technology has its own difficulties, especially for people like me who were never initiated into those ways. But already I much prefer it. Instead of making a living to pay bills, I would making living off my life. Contrary to expectation, my biggest issue is not being bored, but how to do all the things I would love to do. Of course hand-washing your clothes can be a pain sometimes, but that minor inconvenience is hardly worth destroying the natural world over.

We know that, at the very least, some technologies are harming our natural world, our societies and, ultimately, ourselves. Therefore we can recognize the need to reject some technologies. If we’re to avoid technological extremism we’re going to have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. I’ve drawn mine, and I will only move it in the direction of my new home.

3
13

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

• "Technology destroys people."

It happens only with the weak. It's natural selection. Meanwhile I control it... But at the same time my profession is working with technology, so it is bound to me at the same time. Perhaps it is a small fee to pay for far more benefits.

"We’re already cyborgs (pacemakers, hearing aids) of a sort, and are well on our way to the type of Big Brother dystopia of the techno-utopians."

Like with everything: Moderation is the key. Too much of anything is deadly.
    To avoid being watched you would have to be wary. Being wary has always been an essential property. Always be skeptical. Critical thinking wasn't just thrown into the bible to make it seem like the evil, so you see how far back it ranges in the past times.
    The cancer, that is social media is an excellent spying platform, that most people only love to fall for. And absorb it so much, that it damages them in the long run (depression, "look at me", "others have it better than I have"...).

"And look at the state of us. Our toxic, sedentary lifestyles are causing industrial-scale afflictions of cancer, mental illness, obesity, heart disease, auto-immune disorders and food intolerances, along with those slow killers, loneliness, clock-watching and meaninglessness."

Talking about IT jobs? Yeah, that might be likely the people's problem when they turn obese. Some health risk factors were busted myths also but generally it is true. Too much of anything in so little time is damaging in the long term.

"We seem to spend more time watching porn than we do making love. Relationships are breaking down because we stare into screens instead of eyes, while social media are making us antisocial and mindless souls."

People preferring porn over making love with a real partner have a real problem. What type of degenerate must one be to reject their romantic and sexual partner? Meanwhile I watch porn like it's my daily meal.
    But yeah, people also have problems when they are glued with their eyes on the screens instead of interacting in person. I call them weaklings. As arrogant as it may sound. Perhaps the pure and healthy humans are really a minority in this giant mess of smartphone zombies.

Social media is a weapon of mass distraction and cancer. I treat it like a contagious disease and I keep my distance from it firmly.

---

So all in all I can see you address the problems people have when it comes to technology. I can see what you mean. But I like to always add, that blaming technology for people having problems is the same as blaming cars for causing accidents or knifes for causing homicides when in reality it's the people, who are the problems causing these problems. Remove the people (or all the weaklings) and technology won't harm anybody anymore. Conversely remove technology and people won't be able to harm themselves with technology but with excess marijuana, alcohol or something else.

It really also depends what technology you need in your life. I firmly believe to coexist with technology. Not to enslave technology. And not to let technology enslave us. Simply coexist in peace and getting along with the machines.

But people are really the problem. At least this is my POV.

• That was great Thats the kind of response I wanted to read. I may not agree with everything said, but your right on your view to. That has earned you a Most Helpful

• Thank you very much for that kind sir! I was not expecting this at all.

Technology, fire, knowledge... We humans can harness it but many if not most can not.

• Lance1965

Technology is overrated and most people don't need it as much as they think they do. People were generally happier before the days of the internet etc etc came along.

• I was much happier without it. Most of my tech is from the 1980's and 1990's with a here and there a few from early 2000's. I still never owned a cell phone yet and one of my house phones is a rotatory phone from the 1960's. That still works like new.

• Lance1965

I have a cellphone but I don't even turn it on most days. I haven't watched TV in years either. I only listen to music on vinyl and CD's but I am not a fan of the CD format either.

• You could be my long lost brother HEHE

Most Helpful Girls

• erandal

A very interesting take and many excellent points. I also belive that many people ruin their lives by using and depending on technology too much and we need to find balance.

While I work in IT and have access to a huge selection of cutting edge technology I like nothing more when I am at home than sitting down with a good book (not a kindle), my TV hardly ever gets used and to stay up to date I much prefer listing to the news on the radio.

Yes I do have social media accounts, in my line of work is is expected, but with only 60 friends on FaceBook and only accessing my various accounts a couple of times a week I don't feel I am in any danger of becoming addicted or dependant anytime soon.

• Secretgardenblood

Good take

• Thank you. I been thinking about this for sometime. I already refuse to use a cell phone and I still have dial up internet. Most of my electronics in my house are from the 1980's - 1990's. Plus a few early 2000's pieces and once it wears out I fix it or I don't replace it. For example when this laptop dies. I won't replace. So slowly I working my way back to a simpler time.

111
  • slatyb

People are living longer and healthier than ever. Sure there are tradeoffs but I wouldn't want to go back to the data when people regularly died miserably from tuberculosis or leprosy or cholera or polio or yellow fever or any of hundreds of other diseases.

• TallAnon

Sure, go ahead. Bye. Greenland is calling, mate. Don't mind us, it's definitely possible to reject the current society and just leave. People have done it and people will keep doing it, you can be one of them.

• goodlongman

I could not live without smart phone, computer and internet

• jacquesvol

I want to start rejecting technology! It destroys peoples self worth!I want to start rejecting technology! It destroys peoples self worth!

• Kayla45

I agree, but without technology and medical advancements humans would be way less better off.

• are you sure about that. I have 3 family member that live in the their 90's in early 1800's. I think everyone is been lied to for many years. They have to sell it some how.

• BeHappy1985

You're just old. Tech is amazing, it opened up the world. Your idea simply put is evolution going in reverse. Good luck with that, especially washing your clothing in the nearest river or a lake.

• I do wash my clothes from my hand dug well and hand pump. My electricity comes from a home made generator made from old a truck of the 1950s. Is not enough to run a washer even I wanted to. It just makes enough for some lights charge a few batteries and run a radio. I am slowing making the change for to live without modern technology.

I live in the backwoods in the top of Wisconsin on farm. My nearest neighbor is about 3 or 4 miles away. The city is about little more than a hours drive.

• samael_kmarty

There should be an international day. No phone day or no tech day

• Uru_DS

A bit ironic you posting this on an application sent from your phone using the internet.
    I'm really glad you feel this way and I do too. But one thing I realised is nothing really affects you unless you let it.
    Personally speaking, for whatever reason, people are getting worse in every sense of the word. Not sure this is the primary reason but it's sure a part of it.
    And if you wanna do it, do it. But what you don't realise right now is that nothing good in life comes without disadvantages. There will always be positives and negatives, but boycotting something is a big choice and although I respect the choice you are about to make, just consider what I said. Give this perspective a look and then decide, is it really an external thing you would blame if your "self" worth is destroyed?

• Get response, but I never had a cell phone and I used my 9 year old laptop. The same one I'm using now.

• Uru_DS

Get response? Did you mean good?
      Anyway, let's jump forward 20 -30 years. What do you see yourself using? An old tech from this current time? Whatever brand your laptop is it is too slow and will eventually stop working. What will you do then?

• sp33d

Too extreme. Control your schedule and take up other activities beside liquid crystal display tanning sessions.

• SuccessfulHornDog

Good ahead. We each have to choose our own path in life

• I'm a bit of luddite

• Anonymous

Bye bye Luddite - you won't be missed.