Have You Tried AirBnB For Your Travels?

Have You Tried AirBnB For Your Travels?

I gave up on Hotels years ago. As soon as AirBnB became a thing, I was sold. I loved the idea, and still do, of getting a much more authentic experience when I travel. When you stay at a hotel, 99% of the time it is in the most touristy of areas, which can be good if you love that, but I think to some extent it also limits your ability to have more of an off book experience. If you go to the hotel, there is the Starbucks and the McDonald's, and the touristy restaurants, traps, and attractions all around which charge you overages for the conveniences and for being a tourist, especially a foreign one.

I like being able to rent out a whole place, in a real neighborhood with real people who aren't paid to be there. I've met a lot of lovely home owners and renters who most of the time will give you tips of where they like to go and what they like to do that isn't in any brochure. Some even want to hang out if that's cool and show you themselves.

Have You Tried AirBnB For Your Travels?

I also like that I can stay in an entire house or apartment or whatever with no other guests other then the ones I invite, meaning at 3am, no one is going to be blaring music when you're trying to sleep. There is also the total convenience of having things like a kitchen so that if you have leftovers from a party, or eating out, you can heat them up, or if you're a health nut, you can cook your own food and save money, or if you want a little of both, you can do that along with wash your clothes, hang out in a backyard, check out the local scene, and just have a much less structured time because there is no one busting in asking to clean, or having to tip someone for bringing in your luggage.

I think if you've never taken the opportunity, you should at least give it a go once so that you can compare to the typical hotel experience. I will say, make sure you absolutely read the reviews even if they are rated 5 stars because most people are really honest about what they see and experience either with an owner, the neighborhood, or what is and isn't in the place you're staying.

8

Most Helpful Girl

• I've used AirBnB once while I was in Italy and it was a really great experience. It was a great price and it was great to get out of touristy areas and immerse yourself in the culture. Plus we were able to find some really great restaurants that weren't tourist traps because of where we were located. I don't know if I would stay in an AirBnB for an entire trip because I feel there is something to be said about the friends you meet staying in hostels, but they are a really great option.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, twice for Mallorca. I loved that we could live like locals/expats, grocery shopping to cook together instead of trying restaurants and finding a bakery that suits your taste.

• Nice Review, i've thought about staying in a AirBnB before, when looking for places to stay.

• Never actually used it but I have looked up places in areas I was considering traveling to :)

• I would like to, but what if there are roaches or bed bugs. What if someone has cameras hidden.

• That can happen anywhere you go. Just because you're in a hotel doesn't mean there isn't someone with hidden cameras on you or no roaches or bedbugs. A lot of hotels don't even routinely wash things like bed covers, sheets, or even towels (look it up) because it helps save time and money.

• I had that experience once last year when I was in Paris with 2 cousins. One of those cousisn alreayd been in the same house the year before so through his recommendation we stayed over int he same place. The only bad thing about this home owner was, she had the apartment a complete mess. The kitchen was terrible with dishes unwashed, the bathroom was also kind of a mess. In the living room table there where like one plate dirty left there. The problema was that the owner was out of town for several weeksm therefore she could rent his apartment but even so if she knew someone was coming to her own apartment to stay, at least she would care a Little to keep her apartment a Little bit clean and organized.

If it was my apartment I would be very embarrased a stranger see that I am a messy lady an my place is a mess.

• I wanted to try it but I feel paranoid 👀

• Why?

• I watched this movie where she had the house to herself, and it didn’t turn out to well lol.
      I still wanna try it though, and also couch surfing too.

• A movie? LOL.

If you are worried, as mentioned, read the reviews even if they are good and look for places with more visitors then not because odds are if a lot of people have stayed there and liked the place consistently, you're going to have a similar experience. I usually look for repeated comments like "friendly host," "the place was well stocked," "the neighborhood was a great place to hang out in or take a walk," and any comments about the beds being nice or the beauty of the house.

• Yes and we got kick out. Since it's illegal