10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

1. The population of Istanbul is 15 million.

The population of Istanbul is more than 130 countries, including Greece, Portugal, Sweden, Tunisia and Austria.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

2. When Fatih Sultan Mehmet conquered Istanbul, America, Australia and the Antarctic continents had not yet been discovered in the world.

The Byzantine empire was demolished and a new era started.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

3. The tulip, symbol of Holland, entered the country with tulip bulbs first sent from Istanbul to Holland.

The Netherlands people need to know this.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

4. Half of Istanbul is in Europe and the other half is in Asia.

Half of Istanbul's population is Asian and the other half is European :D

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

5. Istanbul in history, the Roman Empire, the Byzantine Empire and became the capital of the Ottoman Empire: Yet, today, Turkey's capital is Ankara.

I think this is an injustice.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

6. Almost without exception, all residents of Istanbul complain about the traffic congestion, but no one leaves Istanbul.

Yes, istanbul traffic is really a torture.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

7. The area of Istanbul is almost the same as Belgium, and the population is almost equal.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

8. Istanbul has the largest church-mosque (Hagia Sophia) in the world.

It was declared as a museum with the decision of Kemal Atatürk in 1937 and shows the influence of two dominant religions in the region.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

9. Istanbul's Grand Bazaar (kapalıçarşı) constitutes the world's largest covered bazaar with 3.000 shops.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

10. In the Middle Ages, while Istanbul was part of the Ottoman Empire, there were 1,400 public toilets in the city.

In the 1600s (during the reign of the Sun King in France), public toilets were built in the first newly built mosques in the Ottoman Empire. It is built in Versailles without toilet. Probably at that time there were no toilets even in the palaces of Europe's greatest kingdoms.

10 Interesting Facts About Istanbul

Istanbul is an interesting and beautiful city in every aspect.
Hope you can visit one day :)

625

Most Helpful Guys

• Constantinople... the fall of Rome. I love it.
    by the way, another cool fact. Because Istanbul controlled the road to the east. Colonisation happens because the ottomans heavily charged Europeans so they tried to sale around it. Thus America, Australia and the rest were discovered. Then the powers of Europe grew thanks to new free conquered land. In a way blocking European trade routes into the easy made the powers of Europe grew in power, eventually, ww1 broke out which led to the desolation of the ottomans.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • god, autocorrect.

• yes bro, when Ottoman controlled the whole Mediterranean sea, Europeans started to looking for a safer sea way to trade. America continent was discovered. Your historical awareness is good

• I loved visiting Istanbul, though I though I would die on the taxi ride from the airport; apparently if you let someone get in front of you there it means you don't have a penis. One of the most interesting cities I have been to; I don't think I'll be going again soon though, given the direction Erdogan is taking the country.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Erdogan is doing good things for turkey and not a bad guy

• Some of them were involved or at least sympathetic to the coup. Or associated with Kurdish separatists. But a lot of the people in prison now were just critical of the government.

• they have committed some crime
      some journalists still criticize the government but they are still not in custody
      because they no commit a crime like the others

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a very beautiful city, no wonder the Greeks are envious cause they've lost it long time ago, along with the rest of the cities in Bosporus & Dardanelles:
    Adrianople (Edirne), Prusa (Bursa), Nicaea & Nicomedia (Iznik) and many others.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 23

• I've been. And I was always pleased to leave again.

• Great pics of a great city.

• I, a foreigner, may have my own issues with Pres. Erdogan based on the reports of non-Turkish news sources, but then again my own Philippine Pres. Duterte is also berated outside the country (for a few verbal blunders and a supposedly human rights-violating drug campaign), but loved inside the nation due to his many policies the benefit the masses but don't get reported outside the country. I'm guessing something similar is happening to Turkey's Pres. Erdogan.

Still, while I am willing to re-consider the supposed press-freedom crackdowns reported reported to us (for probably information known to locals but unknown to us foreigners), I would still have to disagree with the invasion of sovereign, independent Syrian Arab Republic.

Nonetheless, politics should not prevent the enjoyment of such a great city as Istanbul. I've watched some tourist shows on the city and have enjoyed Turkish food often. Some foods just aren't available in my local restaurant (also called "Istanbul") that I want to try. One day, I must visit the actual city!

• Been there done that.

The Blue Mosque was beautiful.

i0.wp.com/.../the-blue-mosque-istanbul.jpg

• Oh, I would add, that I don't think I would return soon. I don't know if I would be particular welcome with the direction of the country.

• I've been there some 40 years ago. It must have changed a lot.

I loved it <3

• If I visit Istanbul with all its history I would like to stay there for a bit, instead of just quick visit. Looks very interesting.

• Nice
    Many things i didn't know
    Now you are making me want to visit it more than ever

• It has had interesting and diverse history, the capital changed to Ankara after the first World War, this was due to Mustafa kemal, and Turkeys battle against the west for independence.

• I will never go to Turkey because of that fascist neo-ottoman dictator Erdogan

• this is a ridiculous thought :D

• @zeus_hera oh so you're mentally retarded then,

what a waste of genes

• @zeus_hera I'd like for Trump,
      to eliminate the opposition,

a country cannot work when one party refuses to cooperate

the democrats should just cooperate and obey without question,
      enough with the opposition, loyalty must imposed, by any means,

• I love Constantinople.

• Very educational.

• Thank you.

• Some hot women come from there too...

• thank you

• Nice take..

• very nice place

• They might be giants

• Thanks for sharing but I doubt I would ever visit.

• Too bad erdogan is going to ruin turkey.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 5