Off grid living questions explained

Bratsondanielle
Off grid living questions explained

Off grid living. A lot of you have asked me questions about it. Some of you told me to do a piece / this "mytake". Here you go. It's my first so hopefully it is good .. .

If this doesn't interest you just leave! no need to read it if you're not curious and then leave at bunch of crap in the comments. And yea - we have #chicken and they have a great life, - heavenly compared to the ones at KFC and chickfile and whatever mcdonal.

If you have questions on the chickens besides eggs and sleep and eat please pm because people are apparently really sensitive on this. I can assure you my animals have a great life. THEY DON'T SUFFER AT ALL.

Now, the questions I get most, right after chicken and rooster, are internet heat , a/c, water, power.

Internet is a satellite/cellular connection. It's kinda unstable, and it's not very fast. No sane internet provider would offer a line I think, at least not without me paying for it.

My power comes from #solar cells. We have different kinds, but most importantly the big wide heavy duty ones. They supply a big battery bank in a building outside. This particular circuit takes care of itself but we have to be sure it's charged because it runs ie fridge so if it drops below a certain point we have to recharge with generators either battery or motorpower. We use small power blocks for the phones and the iPad which is also the tv most days. And then we have real battery generators which we charge either solar or on the generator. We have a dual fuel genny that runs on gas or propane, and several different solar panels big and small. We are looking into wind and water power at the moment.

Water is siphoned from the river that runs through the back of the property. We have a big tank that goes on the bed of my truck and an electric pump that runs off the truck battery. Also we have a lot of snow and rain which we use for cooking and coffee after it's distilled and filtered. We have a cistern under the house with a pump for shower. Water is heated with propane or wood. In the summer we have solar shower. Outside is a cast iron tub with a fire pit underneath. Sitting in steam hot water when it's way below freezing is an incredible feeling.

Which brings me to heat. We have a big Woodland fireplace in the livingroom and it has a hotplate on the front. We boil stuff like water and potatoes here. I also have a kettle for chicken water on, to thaw it out, so they can drink, even in below freezing weather . It's way below freezing in the winter. Sometimes it gets below zero (approximately-20 Celsius) In the back mudroom is a smaller fire, that has hot air ducts for those rooms and a water circulation that heats the hot water tank. It's only used occasionally like once or twice a day.

A/C is non existent. We sweat the hot days. The livingroom has a big big fan under the ceiling and in the winter it reverses the hot air down. In the summer it runs the other way and blows air down. It just runs continuously on low speed, which uses almost no power.
I think it's possible to get a real big solar power system and maybe run a portable unit. We are looking at that right now. Also looking at a windmill but we're currently on solar only. Another option we have been told about, is to dig pex pipe down underground, and have a fan blow air through. Apparently it will be chill at the other end.

We have chickens and they have a very good life. They have two very big runs. They use the inner run in "bad weather " because it's covered. Also if we're not home. The outer run is open in good weather, and around sundown I sometimes let them run free all over the property. I'm outside with them at this time, because of predators, and I have a rifle with me. In my area we have animals like bobcats. When the sun sets they go back in the run and into their "house" which is a really really well insulated tool shed of sorts. I close the doors and lock it before it gets completely dark and after making sure they are all inside. They have boxes with hay and branches to sit on. They cuddle up if they feel cool and warm each other as they would in nature, but they still have a warm air duct lead to the house just in case. They in turn provide us with all the eggs we can use, and even more. We use the surplus to bargain with people who have ie honey like one of our neighbors do. A guy I know works at the jail. He sometimes throws a load of used pallets off, and gets a couple dozen eggs in return, and sometimes leftover dinner. I cook and bake all my own food and I'm taking online culinary lessons so some of the stuff is really yum for the guy who works 40 to 50 hour week and spend another ten behind the wheel. I then saw the pallets and burn it.

Lights. We have low voltage solar power lights all over the place. If we're low on power, we have kerosene lamps too.

A question is often do I miss the city/town/suburbs. Will I return to civilization one day. Am I happy.

I won't deny there are times when I think it would be nice with a "normal " home. Some nights we get like -4 degrees farenheit (-20 celcius) and I wake up to a died down fireplace, or when I run out of power and have to choose between running the generator or wait for sunshine.

But on a 60 degree morning when my rooster wakes me up at sunrise and the day is 70 to 85 clear blue sky and a light breeze, my garden green with potatoes and lettuce and carrots etc .... I wouldn't change it for nothing..

Do I think this is for everyone? Definitely not. It's a lot of hard work. Just the heat needs us to cut up something like 180 trees a year. Now before I get a lot of hate: we choose the best trees to cut

We always get a big old tree that's thrown shade on at least two new young trees so the new trees can grow up and become big. Also we're looking at botany to figure out how to plant even more.

Anyway let me know what you think. Did you like this? Do you want to know more? Do you live off grid? Thought about it? Whatever you want to tell me or ask.

Off grid living questions explained
7
2
2Girl Opinion
7Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• msc545
    Nicely detailed, well-written, and very interesting! I've lived on a sailboat for months at a time in the open ocean and at anchorage, so I have a familiarity with power, water, and heating systems off-grid and appreciate the difficulties. Sounds like you have a nice setup! Did you design all of this? It's very professional.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Ohh living on a boat that's my other big dream. Well, we inherited most of it set up already. The large solar system was already here, and the main fireplace. After moving in we (mostly me) got kinda crazy about being self sustaining, and the original owner was probably using tons of propane and stuff so the back fire with water coil we had installed. The outdoor bath we also did as well as the solar shower and oven (again because I was going crazy with relying on noone) this, plus the tv and computer etc., added to the power usage, which is why we got more redundant systems. We could install another huge system, or a windmill, and we might, but really it's a work in progress at the moment (probably forever). But it's fun so far, but like I said, right now with temp sometimes getting below zero (-20c) it's not only fun and games but hey...

• msc545

Do you have a wind generator of any kind? We use them on boats a lot and I recommend them if you have winds there. What is your daily/weekly electricity usage in amp-hours if you don't mind my asking? Also, is your refrigerator your biggest power draw? Mine was and I was constantly fighting it... finally bit the bullet and got a more efficient one but still a pain in the butt.

• I'm sure the fridge eats a ton of power. Also the tv and the water pumps are heavy duty. I don't know how many amp hours but maybe I should check.

Currently we're looking at wind turbines it seems like you can get quite a few different.

We seem to think the wind is mostly blowing when the sun is gone and visa versa so seems like a good idea

We do however have a couple of real big (watt wise/amp hour) portable "battery generators " and since my boyfriend works out in the real world *lol* he takes it to charge. Also this way we sometimes get drinking water. But it would definitely be cool if we could get it to work without that

But like I said I'm not experienced and it's a work in progress.

Thanks for your input

• wankiam
    my bulgarian off grid home is stone built with thick walls so while you might feel it when its hot outside with no air con, my place stays cool in the summer months and warm in the winter too. i am also lucky that i have a well just a few feet from the main house... great mytake though even if i am veggie ;)
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• dawsonnata
    Imma visit you soon. I'll have omelet for breakfast every day
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Can I come?

• Darcia

Party at her place. Lol

• @Darcia definitely. Imma go down to the chickens every morning and then make omelet

• Jessicafarber
    Do you need a housekeeper? This looks like heaven!!
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

05
  • Unit1
    Freelancing in such an area and getting paid big money to afford proper equipment for being (virtually) off the grid - now THAT would be sweet! Most people are loving their own cellphones and Instagram more than each other anyway.
    Like 1 Person
  • Andres77
    How much did the solar panels cost?
    Brand name?

I won't be doing this but when I do finally retire I want to walk out into the forest with just my backpack and establish a little survival cabin like the trappers did back in the early 1800's and stay out for a month or so.
  • malik_yashvardhan
    If you live in this house then I would say it's so beautiful.
  • Mehzmeh
    Good shit!
    Like 1 Person
  • Board_Tennis77
    This place looks so good 😍
    Like 1 Person
    • I was wondering if she accepted visitors... I could spend couple weeks there for sure...

• @Jessicafarber especially with your lover๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿค—