Happy International Men's Day!

NeutralMale

Happy International Men's Day!

1. Every day isn’t International Men’s Day

So let’s get two things clear from the start. Firstly, anyone who tells you that “every day is International Men’s Day” is not a comic genius, we’ve heard it a million times before. Secondly, when 13 men a day commit suicide in the UK; when boys underperform girls at every stage of education; when one in five men die before the age of 65; when men are the main victims of both men’s violence and women’s violence; when dads of all backgrounds face a range of challenges from juggling work and family, to staying in their children’s lives if they are separated; and when the majority of the homeless, imprisoned and long-term unemployed are men, every day is not International Men’s Day.

Happy International Men's Day!

2. We Need To Talk About Men

One of the great ironies about men’s issues, is that while it is common for well-meaning people to tell men to talk when we try and talk about men’s issues, people are quick to close us down. Whether it’s Jess Philips MP trying to block a debate about men’s issues or The University of York withdrawing its plans to mark IMD, we can find it deeply uncomfortable to talk about the problems men and boys can face. International Men’s Day has been helping the UK to talk about men’s issues since 2010. So what are we waiting for? Let’s talk about men!

3. Politicians Have Embraced The Day

Last month, Theresa May became the first British Prime Minister to acknowledge International Men’s Day saying: “I recognise the important issues that this event seeks to highlight, including men’s health, male suicide rates and the underperformance of boys in schools, these are serious issues that must be addressed in a considered way.”

But men’s issues aren’t just a one party issues, yesterday politicians across the political spectrum took part in the first ever IMD debate in the main chamber of the House of Commons. So whatever your viewpoint, IMD is a great day to make the personal, political for men and boys.

4. It’s Inclusive Of All Men And Boys

Over the years, some people have equated International Men’s Day to holding a “White History Month” or a “Heterosexual Pride Day”, forgetting then men and boys of all races, sexualities and gender identities, hold up half the sky. Many of the issues that affect men and boys of all backgrounds, have a greater impact on Black and Asian males and men who identify as gay, bisexual and transgender. This year the boxing promoter Kellie (formerly Frank) Maloney, spoke out about transgender issues at an International Men’s Day conference in Poole, reminding us that IMD celebrates men in all their diversity.

5. There’s something for everyone

IMD UK in its current format began life in 2010, with a conference aimed at improving public services for men and boys in Brighton & Hove. Now you’ll find similar conversations taking place all over the country in places like Belfast , Manchester, Abergavenny and Northampton. There are lots of universities showing their peers in York how to celebrate IMD, in places like Glasgow, Aberystwyth and UCL. And if you tune into your local radio station, you may well hear people talking about men’s stuff, particularly if you live in Cambridge where presenter Matt Webb has dedicated his show to IMD every year for as long as we can remember.

Happy International Men's Day!

6. Big Brands Are Getting On Board

The commercial sector has been slow to see men and boys as worthy beneficiary of Corporate Social Responsibility, with the notable exception of those brands and business that partner with Movember. The annual mo-growing festival gets men raising money for serious issues like prostate cancer, by not taking themselves too seriously. Some brands, however, are thinking more deeply about men’s issues and Lynx’s #BiggerIssues campaign on male suicide for IMD last year, reached 24 million people and won the charity sector’s Corporate Partnership of the Year award. According to Stephen Hull, writing in Campaign magazine, more brands should be using IMD as an opportunity “to create a more multifaceted, and real, portrayal of men.”

7. It Keeps Angry Men’s Activists Off The Streets

Well, that’s not entirely true. In fact, while the angriest of men’s rights activists defiantly refuse to support International Men’s Day in the UK because it is inclusive of everyone including feminists, you may encounter some men’s rights protestors on the street. The Men Do Complain campaign regularly uses the day to hit the streets and raise awareness of the rarely discussed issue of unnecessary male circumcision. And this year, there is a March for Family Law Reform and Father’s Equal Rights in London.

8. You Can Be A Feminist And Support IMD

Feminism has not had the happiest of relationships with IMD. It was supporters of International Women’s Day who first coined the bitchy riposte “every day is International Men’s Day” and for over a decade leading male feminists like the three Michaels (Flood, Kaufman and Kimmel) have opposed the day and called on people to boycott it.

Yet in recent years, free-thinking feminists have broken ranks, like the University of Surrey’s Feminist Society, who ran an excellent event last year and the writer on men and masculinity, Joseph Gelfer, who called on fellow feminists to embrace IMD. Most significantly of all, when 200 old-school feminists successfully lobbied the University of York to cancel its celebrations last year, one of their students, Ruth Morris, gathered over 4,000 signatures agreeing with her that “true feminists should be fighting for gender equality of both men and women”.

Happy International Men's Day!
Happy International Men's Day!
6
20

Most Helpful Guy

• AdamThomas
    I know MRAs and feminists don't often get along because of those feminists you mention who do their best to stop them from talking about men's issues at all including male suicide (then wonder why they're labelled man-haters), but I don't know why they'd push away feminists who want to help.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Many feminists like myself make it a mission to raise awareness about men's issues and emotional oppression. While men do rule the world, that doesn't eliminate the fact that we are crippled as a society when men aren't encouraged to share emotions or be who they really want to be in life. Everyone should feel safe to reach out.

• AdamThomas

@FrostyFlame

I'll never understand why some feminists have such an issue with IMD. Of course those in positions of power are mostly men, but they're such a tiny percentage of the male population. There are plenty of disadvantaged men who nobody gives a shit about, and they definitely don't have the same kind of power at all. That's why they make up the majority of the homeless, suicide deaths etc. k

• It's not an issue with men I'd say. It's an issue with society and the mindset. While yes a small percentage of men rule the world. Men still have more opportunity when it comes to work in general. Most CEOs are men, most managers are men, men on average are being paid more. That stems from biases that we have in society that we're all guilty of making at some point.

So I think many see IMD as a recognition that white men don't necessarily need. They already have the potential for opportunity that many don't. That's not saying that men don't have their own challenges. I'm just not sure if those challenges quite hold the same weight as trying to overcome lack of opportunity based solely on your race or gender. It's a different kind of struggle.

Honestly I'm not totally sure where I stand on it. We celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day. And men should be celebrated too. I can see both sides of the issue. It's just a complex one.

Most Helpful Girl

• vonasaurus
    very well-written; i can definitely get behind this take (as all women should).

that said, one day of the year won't solve the problems facing men, women, or any other group. we need to treat each other with respect and dignity every day of the year. :)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

519
  • FrostyFlame
    As a feminist, I encourage posts like this that discuss men's issues.

I think where some people have difficulty with wanting to celebrate IMD is kind of like if you relate it to "white pride day" where whites have ruled things and have been on the upper end of power, it's hard for people to feel like they deserve yet another celebration. Despite the fact that white people have problems in their lives too, it doesn't quite balance out being repressed for thousands of years and having far less opportunity.

So I think it can be offensive to some when the people running the world are largely men and have been for all of history, while women have always struggled to get ahead and we're still not seeing equality.

That being said, that only applies to white men. As you mentioned men of color are neglected in this day which is unfortunate. I'm not sure that creating IMD was the best approach to this. I think there are other ways to make sure men are being cared for and that they're being supported without rubbing salt in the wounds of people who will never know the privilege of being a white man.

We need to be doing a lot more to be empowering men of color. Society tells them that they won't amount to much and that they have to stay within stereotypes. We also need to be talking about encouraging men of all races to talk about their emotions, figure out why boys are underperforming in school, eliminate society's pressure for men to be providers. Those are all feminist issues and should be treated seriously. We can't succeed if we're not strong together or igoring issues.

All in all, this was a good post. We can be pro male without wig anti female and vice versa. We can be for men's issues without being anti feminist because the two are actually one on the same.

Thanks for this!
    • there is no such thing as white male privilege as Asians a doing better than whites in every single predominant white country.

• Actually, there is evidence that some countries used to have Female dominated societies in countries such as Egypt. Then the power shifted to men.

• @Neutralmale yep!

• ObscuredBeyond
    Cannot talk to their dads about it?

Possibly. But I can't even talk to my grandma about anxiety issues either. She will never take my word for it on anything I say, and actually worsens it by projecting her own theories, turning every get-together into an interrogation about every nit-picky detail of my life, and wondering why the get-togethers aren't as fun for me as for her.

She's 80, and has to have me repeat the same points to her every 10 minutes - since she completely forgets the last 50 times I said it. If it has to do with anti-marijuana education, she can cite 50 sources off the top of her head to discredit the latest pro-marijuana advocate. But she can't remember the last several times I've told her that Centrum is a multi-vitamin.

She also has no internal filter about what are and are not appropriate questions to ask someone in their 30s. She'll frequently ask me and my siblings questions about our underwear, oblivious to why we get so upset or embarrassed when she does it - especially right in front of company - and she can't comprehend why there's anything inappropriate about it.

My dad thinks I just imagine the problems in my life, until I hand him evidence that it's real.

Then there's my mom - who understands most of my predicaments, but has no idea how to fix anything.
  • Jager66
    "8. You Can Be A Feminist And Support IMD"

Feminism trying to co-opt another movement, LOL, typical Feminist bullshit.

Feminists have worked tierelessly for decades to label men as the source of all the worlds problems. Now that public opinion is turning on them, because the truth Feminists have suppressed is coming out... Allll of a sudden they noooww want to be on the right side of history.. LOL
  • bcromartie
    I'm not a fan of "months" or "days" because the fact that the issues are not constantly in our face is the problem and why they aren't being solved. You don't solve a problem rapidly by focusing on it once a year for less than 24 hours. We need solutions now not parades, not Movember, not stupid mustaches on a stick.
  • N192K001
    Holy sh--! We have a day? We have a day?

Holy crap! WE HAVE A DAY!!! We actually have an actual f----ing day!!!
    ヽ (`ᗜ´) ノ (ᗜ´ノ) ヽ ( ) ノ (ヽ´ᗜ) ヽ (´ᗜ`) ノ
  • astrOnaut01
    A lot of guys complain about International Men's Day not being celebrated as much as International Women's Day. Truth is, it's up to us to take our rights seriously. With articles like this, we are heading in the right direction.
  • AriadneSky
    good its important for men to confront and accept they are vulnerable instead of becoming defensive and resorting to violence.

i support it.
  • FatherJack
    Just another day as a FT working single dad to me , a bit of recognition is nice , but most men , especially 30 & over , are very much on their own in life. Onwards & upwards...
  • GoodLuckCharlie
    I like this day. It shows that while women have many issues and inequalities in society, it's important to also think about the problems in life that men face.
  • Jan1ssary_
    Mehh.. why do u care about men dude? Care about hot chicks not ugly men.. Let em' die lmao.
  • mits777
    I don't need others to give me sympathy or pity, I am a beast I get whatever I want myself by my hard work and discipline. Anyway knowing we have a day too is quite nice, didn't knew before.
  • pervertedjester
  • Cosytoasty
    Could you explain men's issues to me? I didn't even know we had a day lol.

The ones you listed at the top, isn't suicide and education self-governed, not the fault of society?
    • Actually, it is majorly due to society. Men and women learn in different ways, with the current curriculum it suites females more.

• Cosytoasty

Care to elaborate? I got better grades than most of my peers at school.

• There are always some boys who do good and some girls who do bad but as a whole women are excelling and men aren't doing well.

• Mrwoo99
    I don't believe international women's day came first before men's which is an outrage. Women have contributed nothing throughout evolution except consume off man. Men died, sweat and toiled for generations to be where we are today and just even look at the ancient wonders that men built like the pyramids etc and even inventions.

Women want an international women's day for the sake of being a woman. They done nothing to achieve an international woman's day, if anything I give them a international whores day because that's what women are and they're all the same.

Reasons why its called his-story (history) and not her-story. Same goes for man-made... I heard of nothing called woman-made.
    • Fuck off.

• Mrwoo99

@93stepsawayfromhome they should also have international mangina day. Stop increasing gynocentrism and female self entitlement... you're only oppressing yourself.

• Phoenix98
    Rather have a men's history month.
  • Carefuloutthere
    Happy International Men's day. Have a good one!
  • jacquesvol
    I don't need an IMD
    • And you are one of the reasons why this day sin;t taken seriously.

• ACrazyHaggis
    happy mens day !! :D
  • Dipsy
    It was men's day? Didn't even know that existed
  • Adigelunar
    goood job
  • MissSakura
    ı didn't know that there is this day thanks
  • Anonymous
    Wow--I had no idea it was even Men's day! lol!
  • Anonymous
    No one cares about men bro, and feminist are doing their best to keep it that way.