The Controversy over the new national monuments is stupid

Waffles731

as you might have Heard and if you don't know history at all, you might have been angry about, Obama did something amazing and make a large area of federal owned land protected.

Now you get terrorists like the Bundy's who took over a wildlife refuge because they think they have rights to it. THEY DO NOT! THIS IS NOT THEIR LAND, IT'S ALL OF OURS, LITERALLY!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/12/28/obama-names-2-new-national-monuments-utah-nevada/95932862/

Now lets go back to the Mexican American war and what we gained

See now all that land in the southwest was initially owned by the government, the whole damn thing. Now in 1862 Abe Lincoln passed the homestead act which LITERALLY GAVE YOU A HUGE CHUNK OF LAND FOR FREE AS LONG AS YOU SETTLED IT.

The government wanted it settled so they gave you 160 acres land, you paid a tiny fee and if you settled it in five years it was yours, the Enlarged Homestead Act, was passed in 1909 and doubled the allotted acreage from 160 to 320 acres. Another amended act, the national Stock-Raising Homestead Act, was passed in 1916 and again increased the land involved, this time to 640 acres.

We gave away so much land and we sold even more. The massive amounts of land that are left were deemed absolutely worthless by everyone and in 1976 it all ended with the passage of the Bureau of Land management, the land was not being sold anymore and no one wanted it anyway.

Now lets get to what is happening

See these days that is public land

That is over 600 million acres that every American has access to. You can Hunt, Fish, Hike, Camp, and enjoy the great outdoors.

Now then you get Cliven Bundy, He is a Rancher and had to pay for Grazing Rights for his cattle and hasn't kept up in 20 years. He gives people like my Great Uncle an honorable and good man who owns a Cattle ranch in Northern Washington state, about 20 miles from the Canadian Border a bad name. My great uncle loves public land, he pays his grazing rights, and he supports the environment.

Cliven Bundy and his ilk want to take it all away from you and me.

And he thinks that this land is his. He and his ancestors thought the land was worthless, then they got greedy and now they want to steal it from you and me.

If he got his way, you couldn't hike on that land anymore, you could camp there, you couldn't Hunt there, you could enjoy those outdoors.

CLIVEN BUNDY AND HIS ILK ARE STEALING FROM ALL OF US, EVERY American HAS A RIGHT TO THAT LAND. HE DOES NOT AND OBAMA JUST PROTECTED 1.6 MILLION ACRES FROM PEOPLE LIKE HIM.

#thankyoupresidentobama

#Goandhuntfishhike

8
10

Most Helpful Girl

• SweetHomicidalQueen
    Yea I don't know much about history or this topic in general but it seems like a good thing to be protecting land. That's all the NODAPL people are fighting for. Everyone should protect our land, not just the NAs.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Noxifer626
    I'm sick of rich people thinking the world owes them something for robbing and oppressing workers.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

79
  • TokyoGhoulLover
    Oi! Waffles! I gotta question if u dont mind (Sorry it has nothing to do with ur mytake i just dont know how to locate gaggers on here <:/)

@Waffles731 @helloitsmethere

Sorry! Ignore the last one!
  • Darkfairie17
    That's really crazy. I think it's good to have public land for people to be able to enjoy. I can see why someone wealthy would want to keep the land for themselves. They could charge people fees to hunt and fish on their land, or even just refuse.

I'm glad it's being protected. And that people are going to be able to hike and enjoy the land.
  • vishna
    I heard about the uproar. Ridiculous. It's a good thing for people to 1) pay for services-unless he owns the land, he is getting free goods from the land via forage for his cattle, waste disposal and housing. 2) Protecting land is good, it's a resource. (as shown by people wanting to use it for free)
  • Izumiblu
    i dont know enough about this to really say one way or the other... i generally like the idea of protecting land , for environmental purposes, public use etc. However, i also dont like the idea of an always expanding federal presence. I think Bundy is an idiot by the way. I kind of feel like Obama did the right thing here, but i dont know.
  • Phoenix98
    Just another pitiful attempt by Obama to leave himself a legacy and spread federal influence.
    • Waffles731

Not really, at all, its really just making sure that big business doesn't steal land from the public,
      That's happened before.

• Phoenix98

If it were any besides him I'd probably agree but not with this piece trash.

• Waffles731

What would raymond chandler say about evil people doing good (I wouldn't call him evil though but you think he is and I'm not going to argue about that part)
      Hitler liked dogs.

• TuMeManques
    Oh it pisses me off being from Utah. He wants to take another 135 million acres in Utah. Much of it isn't even "beautiful ". Something like 80% of Utah is land owned by the federal government. That's completely ridiculous. Once more Obama avts as a supreme dictator rather than a president by the people and for the people.
    He's never even come to Utah. He hates us but he's ok with stealing our land.
    • Waffles731

I went over exactly why its owned by the federal government.
      That land was given away for free, when no one took it they put it up for sale after the homestead act ended and no on wanted it, the federal government has owned that land since the end of the Mexican American war.
      So well over 150 years

• Except thst the state of Utah did want this land. It has huge oil reserves on it and could potentially create a huge economy for or state. Currently the Utah governor is preparing to sue President Obama over this.

• And if nobody "wanted" it, why the need to "protect" it?

• Maxemeister
    Prepare for Trump to invade that protected land

Legit if that land was unwanted that's so amazing. If we're doing THIS MUCH TO PROTECT LAND, then only the worst of the worst people would be against it!
    • Hey is there any word on what Trump's plans for these lands are?

• SlightlyCrazy
    People will pick any old stupid thing to blame Obama for. Also the whole sovereign citizens movement guys like that love is completely idiotic
  • Espolareisback
    Just another attempt for Obama to leave office as a gteat statesman whe his legacy is one of failure and disaster
  • Eternal_Flame
    Great Take. I was quite ignorant to that. Thanks for the insight.
  • Iron_Man
    Let's get a couple of gag girls and take a vacation next summer the four of us and we'll go hang out for about 3 weeks?
  • Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    I don't get it... what's so controversial? The government owns about 50% of US soil and can technically do with what they please anyways
  • Blitzkrieger
    I wonder why this site has no politics category. Oh wait its boring as fuck.
  • John_Doesnt
    I bet Clive Bundy is a closeted homosexual Nazi.
    • Waffles731

What do you mean closeted? I thought it was obvious

• Kachatterjee
    Nice observation