The Valentines Day Survival Guide

The Valentines Day Survival Guide

Yay, Valentine’s Day is here…aren’t you excited? Candy, dinner, roses and sadness in any order of your choosing. I believe couples are starting to despise this holiday more than singles. No matter who you are or where you are at in life, this holiday can be super stressful. I have put together a short survival guide down below to help you overcome any negativity and really get the most out of this holiday.

What is Valentine’s Day?

The Valentines Day Survival Guide

According to Wikipedia…."Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine,[2] is celebrated annually on February 14. Originating as a Western Christian feast day honoring one or two early saints named Valentinus, Valentine's Day is recognized as a significant cultural, religious, and commercial celebration of romance and romantic love in many regions around the world."

As children we remember making valentines out of construction paper and giving those to our classmates in exchange for Valentine’s day candies. Those sugary treats are what we desired and cared about the most. As we got older and into relationships, we tend to see the holiday as a mandatory choir of dinner, flowers and candy. Let’s not forget, Valentine’s Day is a Billion Dollar industry. It preys and pulls on our heart strings and demands for us to be romantic at least one day a year.

What are some things we can do to mitigate these feelings of sadness, despair and being overwhelmed? Let’s start with the couples.

Couples

The Valentines Day Survival Guide

What should I get her on Valentine’s day? Should I get her roses, candy, cards, take her out to dinner….OMG the choices are endless. I need to make this day special because after all I have been lacking in the romance department all year. This kind of thinking is what makes this day even worse. The guilt of not being romantic enough throughout the year and having this holiday make up for it becomes a never-ending stress upon our nervous system.

The Valentines Day Survival Guide

Try not to make this day a test to see who can get the best gift or who can make it more special. Sit down and work together on what you both want during this holiday. Reflect on the past year and create some romantic goals for both of you down the road. Who can we help during this holiday? Single mothers and fathers who would love to go on a date but don’t have a baby- sitter could use your help.

The Valentines Day Survival Guide

Maybe the two of you could play cupid with some of your single friends that might like each other. Throw a dinner party and invite them and watch the magic happen.

Doing good in the world on a day that is so centered around the "greediness of love" is also a good choice. Volunteering on this day as a couple will always help strengthen your bond and make you appreciate what you have together. Don’t make the day about gifts, make it about others and you will most likely see the holiday as positive instead of negative.

Singles

The Valentines Day Survival Guide

Are you sad and lonely? Suck it up skip, it’s time to get over it. Start appreciating what you have and not allowing others or some cheese ball holiday to ruin that for you. I have always said, “No matter where you are in life, whether it be single or in a relationship, they are both equally awesome.” This day is now all about you and what you get to do to treat yourself. Hanging out with friends, grabbing some awesome take out and a movie are all good ideas that will have you laughing at all the stressed out couples who are having a hard time with this day.

Just like the couples you can also make this day about others. Do you know a couple who might need a baby-sitter for the night? Doing things for others will always be better than sulking about being alone. Everyone is alone at one point in their life and they need to take full advantage of it. You will look back and go why didn’t I do that one thing when I was single? Why didn’t I take that trip? Why was I so sad?

Embrace the singlehood while it’s here and work towards finding the right person not the wrong person for all the “so called” right reasons.

Thanks for reading! If you liked this MyTake please give it a thumbs up!

The Valentines Day Survival Guide
6
11

Most Helpful Girls

• BlackRoseFairy
    Here's another origin...
    The Romans had a festival called Lupercalia in the middle of February - officially the start of their springtime.
    Lupercalia was a fertility festival dedicated to Faunus, the Roman god of agriculture, as well as to the Roman founders Romulus and Remus.
    It's thought that as part of the celebrations, boys drew names of girls from a box. They'd be boyfriend and girlfriend during the festival and often they'd ended up getting married. Later on, the church wanted to turn this festival into a Christian celebration and decided to use it to remember St Valentine too. Gradually, St Valentine's name started to be used by people to express their feelings to those they loved. But enough with the history part. I like the idea of doing something for others! I'm not a fan of valentines day, never was really... Love doesn't need a date after all. 🤷‍♀️ But making it a special day for someone else by babysitting so they can spend some time together is a great idea!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thanks! Boys drew names from a box... reminds me of my kindergarten class!

• Awesome Mytake. Love your ideas to help others. It should never be about the gifts, money spent. That should never be a way to measure or show love. And a gift given out of pressure or obligation on One day of the year means far less than little acts of love all the other days. Again, great mytake👍👏👏❣
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

410
  • SydneySentinel
    Nice take! I love the idea of volunteering!! And a great idea to offer a sitter to a couple who would like to go out. I might put a feeler out to see if anyone might need that. The past few years, I've done some serious Valentine's day baking-- Nutella cookies!!
  • Lman3000
    If Valentine's day would to ever disappear from the world as a holiday I would never miss it. at all, no one ever want to show love to me nor even attempts apparently I'm unlovable and undesirable in this stupid world literally this holiday can roast in the pits of hell
    • Why don't you try smiling in your photo?

• Lman3000

I hate my teeth, plus everyone tells me I have a fake looking smile so I just stopped smiling

• So others opinions mean a lot to you huh?

• EleanorRigby
    I always found it fascinating that people feel the need to *survive* Valentines Day? What's there to survive? If you're single it's just another day for you. That's like me getting upset because I'm not going to celebrate Hanukkah and all the Jewish people will.
  • JamesRandiDebates
    I dislike any holiday that contains an expectation of me buying gifts. Especially if it's not even a paid day away from work. And Hallmark has even invented a second Valentine's Day, in October, called "Sweetest Day." Ugh.
  • FictionalCharacter
    Haha, I don’t need a survival guide to eat chocolates 😋
  • I don't get why it bothers so many, I just think of it like any other day.
  • Jamie05rhs
    I have it a thumbs up before you even asked, Coach. Good positive message. Nicely done.
  • Creepazoid
    Cool. Great mytake👍
  • That was a good mytake! Thank you
  • Likes2drive
    Good points, made a lot of sense actually
  • Good take
  • damaster
    I definitely like this
  • Anonymous
    We can survive Valentine's Day (and every day) a lot better if GAG allows us to stay logged in when we click on the box "Remember Me"
    and PLEASE don't make us select all the images with buses, palm trees, etc.!! Ask us a maths question instead and we then have to answer in words (or something like that). PLEASE!!
  • Anonymous
    "Are ya kidding? I get no respect, no respect from anyone. I called up Suicide Prevention. They told me to kill myself!" -- Rodney Dangerfield.