Why moving on was the best damn thing I ever did

I thought he was the perfect guy for me. I put him on this pedestal and allowed him to take over my life. I was just so in to him that I wasn't noticing how he was slowly destroying me. I wasn't seeing how he could be such a negative influence until my sense of logic finally kicked back in and my heart shut up for a while. I finally realized how he was making my life miserable and I wasn't aware of it.

I won't go into the details, but I will say that I literally wasted two years of my life on some guy who didn't even give two f***s about me. He had me on this emotional roller coaster and the sad part is that I allowed him to do that to me. But then I realized that enough is enough and it was high time for me to move on and I did.

Ever since that day I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, I felt happy again. I gained back my motivation and optimism. I was able to focus on my studies in university again. I have never been more happy. I noticed that there were a whole lot more guys out there who were a thousand times better than him and actually are interested in me. I don't regret leaving him behind me at all, and if anything I feel like I've become a much stronger woman because I can now look him in the eyes and say "you can't hurt me anymore". Or as Demi Lovato says;

I'll walk right up to him and put one finger in the air

Lol. I really hope that anyone else out there who is in a toxic relationship will have the courage and strength to stand up for themselves and to walk away from this relationship stronger than ever before. This also applies to friendships as well. Sometimes the person you call your "friend" may in fact turn out to be your enemy.

64

Most Helpful Guy

• I still love my missus after 8 months of being split. Just can't let her go. The thought of her with another man is making me sick to my stomach. I'm good at lying to myself that I'm hard hearted but I'm a soppy bastard deep down. Even when we talk and I'm sitting across from her I feel myself getting light headed and I have to physically restrain myself from just grabbing her. It's like she's a magnet and she's sucking me in. I hope it goes away soon. I need to sleep with another woman to draw a line under the whole business I think

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought the same thing about toxic relationships. It's just sometimes even if this whole thing is toxic, you cannot not love the person, you're just happier apart. You still keep in touch with them, but you just stop hanging out. If I genuinely love somebody and care about them, I'll just let them go, but never stop caring, no matter how toxic the relationship is.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 3

• I'm glad you moved on from a damaging relationship.

• -"destroying me"
    -"negative influence"
    -"take over my life"
    -" had me on this emotional roller coaster"

I don't say you're wrong but these are rather vague words. We can't even guess what it's all about.

• I'm dying to know your identity but good post lol

What Girls Said 5

• Same thing has happened to me. I understand how you feel. The burden, the emotional strain... so much better now. Congratulations! :)

• Sounds almost identical to my past. my ex was abusive, a liar and a cheat of course. well done girl u should be proud of yourself as am I. The best advice I would have for girls in a toxic relationship would be to just break up with him with the faith that the universe has bigger plans for you and in time you WILL feel AMAZING again :)

• You're absolutely right! I have never felt more alive and at peace.

• I'm so happy for you. I would hope that I wouldn't ever be blind in that way though.

• this sounds like the exact same thing i went through so i couldnt relate more. great take!

• Thank you! I'm glad you were able to relate to it

• you go girl :) best of luck!

• Thank you <3

• i hope that too. thanks a lot for putting a smile on my face :)

• You're welcome!