Why do guys go back to their ex-girlfriends?

I was really into this guy, and the day I actually made some moves, he went back to his ex. I mean we're young and I know they dated for about a year, but I heard she was bit of a loony. What drove him to go back? Besides the connection they must of had, though he even said they had grown apart. I mean, don't people break up for a reason? What's the psychology behind this?

It just sucks in gerneral. =/

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• i think that he was never over her and vice versa and even if they did break up he just tried to get her out of his mind but couldnt, I had a friend in high school who probably still is with this girl he was his whole high school time, but they broke up more than 7 times sometimes it was him sometimes it was her its a messed up relationship but from their personalities no one else in that school would be better for either of them other than each other. its not just exes that happens with, I liked this girl and asked her out but she turned me down, I felt really bad but I thought I got over it, then prom came and my friends told me I should try asking her out again and I went for it again lol

I can actually relate to this because its exactly what happened between my boyfriend and I in the first 2 years out of the 3 that we've been dating. We were on and off for so many times I had lost count of how many times we had broken up in those 2 years. I totally agree in saying that "no one else would be better for either of them other than each other" cos thats exactly why we kept getting back together. Its like as the saying goes "you can't stand to be with them but you can't stand to be without them". No one will understand the situation til they've been through it.

What Guys Said 1

• Oh yes...that is what I and my friends like to call the get backer...usually guys that go back to their ex's are because their either afraid or they rather get back to something they know and might be sure and keep an open room for them to come back again...who knows maybe he doesm iss her...or maybe she's that person that won't say no to him,usually if you or most dump someone is for a reason and to keep it that way. But no one really knows, is a familiar feeling, that they feel they got to get back to...oh well...connection or no connection, usually those are the masochist and usually are the ones that are the turn on and off relationship kinda guys...so yeah...it happens

• Could be those reasons, or it could be because they actually love each other and regretted the break-up. Never know.

• it could be...but you can't never really know...and I've seen this happen so many times with my budds. It's never healthy =/

What Girls Said 1

• maybe he was trying not to want her back and you were a rebound that he was using to get over her and when things got intimate he realized that his plan to get under you to get over her wasn't gonna work and it felt almost like he was cheating to be with you which sent him running back to her? that's how it sounds anyway...

• oh no we never dated or anythinig..but we flirted a lot..but wtf that's not fair to me you know? because I was really liking him

• it's not and it might not even have been an actual thought out plan. just in being close to you it spooked him right back to her. you're better off because obviously there were unresolved feelings there that were going to come up one way or the other better before you actually did date him or you two got too close.