A Message To All The Boys, From a Teenage Girl

Over the past few years I have come to the conclusion that no teenage boy in the history of adolescence has ever had the slightest clue as to what in the f*ck he is doing.

Now most of you can never seem to tell the difference between a young woman having interest in you or not.
So without further introduction, I give to you, young men of modern society, a guidebook of all the ways to know that I am NOT in ANY WAY interested in you.

Let’s start with the internet.
If I ignore you through text, Facebook message, Twitter, Snapchat, or any other form of social media, firstly, STOP sending me messages, and secondly, I do not like you. If I’m having a nice conversation with you and you suddenly send and/or ask me for inappropriate pictures, I do not like you. If you make inappropriate jokes about the female anatomy, I do not like you. If you upload overly friendly pictures with scantily clad girls to make me jealous, you don’t care about my feelings, and I don’t like you. If I upload a photo of myself and you write something along the lines of “smexy” or “I’d get on that”, you’re an ass, and I don’t like you. If you only ever “like” my selfies and OOTD’s (Outfit’s of The Day) and have never “liked” a single picture of my dog or post about my little brother’s soccer game, I don’t like you. If you text me that I’m cute and I respond with something like “Aw! You’re so nice!” or “You’re such a sweet friend!”, don’t get any idea’s, I’m just being nice, and I don’t like you. If I never start the conversation, I’m not playing hard to get, I simply do not like you. Just because I “liked” something you posted doesn’t mean I want to get with you, and your thinking my “like” meant something more than it did, makes me not like you. If you regularly update your Twitter feed with how many “bitchez” your hanging “wit” and how many clubs you and “the bros” hit tonight, I don’t like you. And if you have a Facebook album entitled “My Car”, I don’t like you.

Moving on. You.
If you are over sixteen and dress like a twelve year old (I.E. Underwear showing, sideways snapback, bright red Nike’s, AXE Cologne, Etc Etc), I do not like you. Now let me push this up a year. If you are over eighteen and still play video games for six hours a day, I do not like you. If you get wasted every. single. weekend. I do not like you. If you have dated all of my friends, and especially if you have dated all of them within the last year, I do not like you. If you have a “reputation” (whether it be partying, girls, or anything juvenile), I do not like you. If you stay up until six in the morning every night, with unreasonable reasons to do so, (I.E. To play Call of Duty or watch two seasons of Supernatural), I do not like you. If you are ten years older than me, I don’t like you. If you are married, I don’t like you. If you are twenty years old, work at a fast food restaurant, and have zero ambition to do anything with your life, I don’t like you. If you think Drake, Lil’ Wayne, and Machine Gun Kelly are the greatest musicians of all time, I don’t like you. If you aren’t passionate about something, literally anything, I don’t like you. I don’t care if you are a musician, an artist, an actor, or and athlete; as long as you care about something, I know you can eventually care about me to. And if you don’t love anything, how do you consider that living? Alternatively, if you are absolutely obsessed with something, (a band, a sports team, etc) to the point where it’s the only thing you can talk about, I don’t like you.

Me.

So here is a little about how I want you to treat me and how certain ways you treat me convince me to dislike you.
For starters, if I’m talking to you about something I’m really passionate about and you dismiss it with “Cool :)” or “Yeah that’s not really my thing”, I don’t like you. If I don’t ever mention my dad to you, I don’t have any intention of you ever meeting him, and I don’t like you. If you see me wearing something provocative, I am not necessarily trying to get your attention, chances are you just happened to be there on a day I wanted to feel good about myself, and I don’t like you. If I end conversations quickly and with long explanations as to why I have to go, I’m lying, and I don’t like you. Or want to talk to you. If your religion is different than mine and you make a point of trying to convince me my religion is “wrong” or “silly”, I don’t like you. If your political views are different than mine, and you make a point of trying to prove THEY are “wrong” or “silly”, I don’t like you.

Here are some things that have been bothering me personally in recent months.
If I’m at work, you show up, and I barely acknowledge your presence, don’t get mad at me, because firstly, I did not ask you to show up and I don’t have time to deal with you, I’M WORKING.
If you want to give me a compliment, do not call me “pretty” or “cute”. I have a complex about this. I don’t want to be thought of as “pretty” or “cute”. The definition of “pretty” is “less than beautiful” and the definition of “cute” is “pretty”. Go big or go home. Call me beautiful, call me gorgeous, or call me stunning. No girl wants the man of her dreams to think she is simply “pretty”.
Don’t treat me like you treat every other girl. If you treat me the same way you treated the girl you just spoke to, I’m going to think you think of me as just another girl, and I won’t like you.
And if you find out that my friend knows who you are, don’t take that as a sign that I like you, I talk about the boys who bother me just as much as the boys I like.

So there are some reasons that I don’t like you. They are few but they are important. ...Now here are some of the reasons, I like you...

If I take the time to talk to you everyday, I like you.
If you compliment me and I respond with “Aww… <3”, I like you.
If I confide in you with personal things, I like you.
If I touch my hair or straighten my shirt while talking to you, I like you.
If I purposely avoid looking you in the eyes most of the time, I like you.
If you catch me looking at you and I look away quickly, rather than smiling, I like you.
If I take interest in things you are interested in, I like you.
If my best friend “likes” everything you post, I like you.
If I want you to meet my best friend, I like you.
If I stay up hours past when I would usually go to bed, just to talk to you, I like you.
If you genuinely make an effort to care about the things I care about, I like you.
If you are ambitious and humble, I like you.
If you genuinely like me as a person and not as a pretty face or nice body, I like you.
If my family knows and likes you, I like you.

And finally, to whatever boy is reading this, no matter what type of guy you are, or what type of girls you like, just know that every girl just wants you to care about them as much as they care about you. Girls are not just something to have fun with and when we tell you we love you, we mean it.

Sincerely,

One of many.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 87

• Typical 13yo girl's rant... I want this, I need this, I want that. Give me, give me, give me. ME ME ME ME. If you don't give me what I want, I don't like you. If you understand me like you were in my head, I like you. If you give me everything and only think of me all the time and never think of yourself, I like you. If you seek anything else than my own happiness in our relationship, I don't like you.

You are still a teenager. It's ok. You'll grow out of it eventually. But you have to learn that a relationship is built on compromises. You have to give if you want to get. It's not a one way street. Why would a guy have any other interests than sex with you if there is nothing else you have in common? Most things a teenage girl is interested in would bore any guys to death. If you want to have an interesting relationship that is not 100% about sex, make sure you guys have other common interests. In your words. If you talk to me about makeup or handbags or shoes, I don't like you !

• A message to all girls out there (including you take owner): Stop demanding if you don't plan on giving.

All I read on this take is a girl that wants the guy to give her everything, while she gives nothing back.
    You sound like the type of girl that's a "walking flaw", but gets mad when the guys displays a small flaw.

What you don't understand is that guys don't give a shit about you, there are thousands of girls out, all those better than you. Keep demanding more than you deserve and you'll end up along. You think you're one step ahead of guys, but in reality, guys don't give a fuck.

• Re-read your take, and hopefully you'll realize how you come across. Ask your mother to read it, she'll agree with what I'm saying.

• Lmao Yeah okay xD

• Look, I'm not trying to offend you or pick a fight, just another random person trying to prove a point. The world isn't here to please you. People are far from perfect and if you continue to judge people entirely on the basis of the small things they do, then yes, you do have unseasonably high standards in my opinion (most people here seem to agree). Life is not a fairy tale, it's, uhh well, 'real'. Relationships require compromise cause nobody is going to please you 10000%. Sometimes you have to accept people for their flaws in order to enjoy them for their strengths. So don't be very quick to judge people on things like "playing call of duty for 6 hours" or "stay up till 6am for no reason". I've had days in which I did that, and I still got into a great college for my masters degree. Also, calling someone "pretty" is NOT degrading. Maybe that's your perception of it, but that is not inferior to beautiful. I've called girls that before and no one had ever gotten offended by or felt degraded by it by any means. When you get a compliment, you simply take it and say thank you. Also, if you're not replying to person on social media when they take the time to text you, then I'm sorry, but your being a bitch. If you want perfect man, then you better start being perfect too. There are all kinds of people in the world, don't judge them too quickly or you might miss out. It's just a sincere word of advice.

• I don't like you.

You sound like the most miserable, snobbish human being in existance. Wtf did I just read?

• "If I ignore you through text, Facebook message, Twitter, Snapchat, or any other form of social media, firstly, STOP sending me messages, and secondly, I do not like you."

Or maybe you could TELL THEM that you're not interested? If they persist after that, feel free to ignore them.

"If you are over eighteen and still play video games for six hours a day, I do not like you."

If you immediately reject a guy because he likes playing videogames, then you're shallow AF. Besides, videogames can be a great source of income. Your loss.

Frankly you sound like a b*tch. Keep this attitude up and you'll only end up with jerks, or you may just die alone in your 40's with your seven cats. Enjoy!

• And besides, the "signs" that you posted indicating you like a guy, are all incredibly common behavior for most other women. No doubt you'll sit back and wait, and then you'll start crying that no guy asks you out and that guys should grovel at your feet while you sit back and make no effort.

• Those were my first thoughts, too.
      this is hardly a guide, this is what this one person likes and dislikes.

• I'm 23 i still play games, heck my secondary school teachers still played computer games (granted it was the slightly younger of the teachers but they were at least 30)

• Whoa, this is the biggest load of crap I have ever read in a while! Makes me wonder if there really should be a way to filter out content by immature, kiddish under-18s like yourself.

I am hardly, if ever, this harsh. But this is the limits, really. A perfect example of a spoilt, self-centred kid.

• Woah, lookout fellas! a teenager is so DONE with boyz! How ever shall we carry on in this cruel world?

• Lmao you have a lot of deal breakers and while plenty of them are reasonable I think you're unrealistic.

You're not okay with being called pretty instead of beautiful? First off, most guys don't put that much thought into which forms of good looking to tell you you are. And did you consider that maybe they do just think you are pretty? I'm sure you don't think every guy you like looks like Fabio and unless you're well above average you should realize that plenty of guys will think you are just pretty. Pretty isn't even a bad thing, you're complaining about being called good looking instead of great looking. Unless you are a supermodel you should stop acting like you're being shat on by getting a compliment.

As for being treated differently than every other girl, it's a perfectly natural thing to want but we are not entitled to anything in life so if you want to be treated like you're extraordinary you have to be extraordinary in some way. Maybe that means you connect with a guy who you haven't seen in 7th grade and you both had crushes on each other so you're special to him. Maybe it's as simple as being really attractive, or being really charitable. Regardless, if you expect to be treated like you're special you have to be special.

• I'm not stating that every guy has to restrict himself from the words pretty and cute. I'm stating that personally, if the guy really genuinely cares about the girl, she'd rather he call her something more prominent, whether it's true or not is really irrelevant.

• Cute = girlfriend material though. I'm much more likely to call my crush cute (if I had the guts) than hot.
      Context also plays a part.

• I've never once said using the word "hot" was appreciated.

• Can I share something with you? A guy has a sensitive nature under his bluff exterior. One reasons guys stop asking girls out is because they get to many "I don't like you's" from young women. I hear all the time on this site from women who say "Why don't guys ask me out?" The reason is because when they were in high school and college they were rudely turned down. Of course you can like whomever you like, but be aware that people change over time, I was a loner touch freak in high school (if you touched me even accidentally there was a chance if you were a guy that we would fight, if you were a girl, a very rude "don't touch me!" [the result of me being raped when I was 13]) when I was in college I had a steady girl friend and I made my first million by the time I was 24. I am sure that I would have been one of those guys who you "do not like" but by the time I was out of college I was out I was certainly dateable, and by the time I had opened my 4th company I was marriageable. (My Christmas gift to my wife for 1994 was a 4 story Victorian mansion with something like 8 bedrooms) of course you would have never known it. Don't be too quick to judge.

• You can almost taste the bitchiness.

• Wow... This is the reason most guys have given up on women...

• Don't be stupid. Not all women are like this (though the scary reality is that most of today's women are). That's why you give into her bullshit, act the role if she's good looking, get what you want and continue searching for a normal one.

• @imnotcrearive dude I have a normal girl... Well, maybe not normal for most 20-somethings but definitly normal to me... But this girl is nuts.

• Hey, Guess what? WE DON'T LIKE YOU EITHER!

• Sounds like something written by a fifth grader.

• Wow, am I ever glad I'm way out of high school. Thanks for reminding me of yet another reason I don't miss it.

And by the way, "pretty" and "cute" are not less than beautiful. A mountain is beautiful, a mountain cabin is cute. The meanings are mixed; a puppy may be much cuter than a beautiful girl. It's not a linear scale, even when limited exclusively to girls.

• ... the self-important musings of an entitled suburban princess. The world is uninterested in what you do and don't like in guys, and none of us have ever solicited your approval of how we dress or act. Your opinion isn't nearly as important as you believe it to be.

• "If you are over eighteen and still play video games for six hours a day, I do not like you." There's nothing wrong with video games 😂 Anyway, you sound like a whiny typical white girl bitch, I wouldn't stay within 10 feet near you.

• If you think playing video games for six hours straight as a grown adult with a job is cool, you may have a problem.

• @Fearghal99 has a genuine point here.

• @Sreemukh Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my comment.

• Not many people are gonna like you in that case, I can just sense it. People go through a lot of shit and you have no idea. You want the perfect guy? go for it

• On behalf of all non-duchebag members of my gender I would like to apologize. The nice guy numbers maybe few , but we are plenty in heart. My un-evolved brethren have wronged you and I am sure to say that one day A gentleman will come along and make you forget those. Furthermore I would like to thank you for the message I will relay it to my associates and see that we we will quadruple our efforts to be kind loving and affectionate in a respectful manner.
    Sincerely yours,

one of the good ones.

• Yes hun those boys with their evil penises are always wrong. I can tell by your calm and measured demeanor that you are never at fault in social interaction

• Get a cat...

• More from Guys
    67

What Girls Said 33

• While some of what you mentioned is totally understandable (such as a difference in religion or political beliefs), other things you mentioned here are VERY trivial and hardly worth "not liking" someone for (such as, "if you only 'like' my selfies and never pictures of my dog" part). I also think it's very silly to say "don't call me pretty, call me beautiful!" However, that's all your prerogative I suppose.

There's nothing at all wrong with knowing what you want and having high standards as long as you realize that sometimes super high standards and expectations at some point can become unrealistic and could result in you being single for quite some time. But anyway, best of luck to you.

• I respect your opinion and would just like to clarify that the "liking pictures of my dog" was not literally meaning to like pictures of my dog. It's to note that I'd like him to care about my life rather than just my face.

• Okay, and of course that is understandable.

• Am I the only one that found this extremely judgmental and rude?

Guys don't need a guidebook, they need a girl that will have a conversation with them and tell them, personally, when the issue comes up, that you have an issue with their behavior and you don't want to talk to them.

And, by the way, someone else's behavior is never an excuse for you to act rude.

The entire time I read this I was thinking "this is rude, that is rude, rude, rude, rude, rude, rude..."

• My words exactly, i was thinking someone has been hurt a lot and is taking their anger out by making sweeping generalisations across guys, granted when we are teenagers most of us don't know what we are doing, but we are bloody teenagers we aren't supposed to know... that's the whole point of adolescence and growing up

• I understand a lot of what you're saying, but maybe its the way you wrote this but you don't come off as a reasonable girl who is tired of being pestered by boys who can't take an obvious hint or a girl who simply is sick of childish guys, you just sound like a prissy bitch honestly...

• How dare you call me pretty!! I DEMAND TO BE CALLED BEAUTIFUL...
      But also, don't like my selfies you perv!! But also think I'm drop dead gorgeous! !

Basically you're saying you hate being flirted with but what you're really saying is only a certain type of guy can flirt without you without igniting your fury, and its like, guys aren't mind readers...

• Was I speaking to you sir?

• That's cool hun

• I've come to the conclusion, there's not much you do like about a guy. Which, may in the future as you get older become problematic. I counted and there's 33 things that will make you not like a guy and only 14 things that will make you like a guy. I know you're young but, looking at those numbers does that seem reasonable to you?

Look, I won't pretend men can't be frustrating because they can but just because someone is frustrating doesn't mean they are not worth while. I agree, that a girl wants to be cared about by the guy she cares about but who's say he doesn't care about her even if he did do those things on your list?

And, I'm not sure about other girls but being told I'm cute or pretty doesn't bother me. In fact I know person who use to call me pretty girl and I found it endearing. Also, I'm no walking Webster's dictionary but from what I understand to some people pretty and beautiful are kind of in the same realm, so it's not a bad thing.

Let me ask you a question, if in 5 or 10 years you come back to read what you wrote on here, do you still think everything you wrote will be considered reasonable to you or do you think once you grow older and see how things really are that maybe you'll see this article from a different perspective? What do you think?

• Basically from what I understand you are telling me to lower my expectations, correct?
      Now I want you to imagine you have a daughter. Would you tell your daughter to lower her expectations? Or would you want her to have high expectations? To expect a man to treat her beautifully and be a good, kind hearted, ambitious person?
      Yes, in ten years I will look back and want my little girl to only have the best of a man in her life, even if looking for one makes her seem unreasonable, because I'll believe that her and every other little girl deserves the perfect man for her.

• I'm not basing my life on your take and I don't believe how I live my life is the right way or the wrong way, it's just how I live my life. And, I don't have it all figured out and I never said I did. I have many self improvements to make and things to work through, I even said in my comment that I'm not perfect. So, I'm not sure where you are getting any of this. I never said everybody would agree but I'm just saying that just because someone doesn't seem ambitious to you doesn't mean they are not. We all have dreams and goals, some are very ambitious taking the corporate world by storm and others simple like working on there parents farm. Not everybody wants the same things in life and being a teenager you can't judge a teenage boy on his fast food job and playing games, that's actually how it should be because you're teenagers. The whole point of growing up is to have fun and get a crappy job to learn responsibility. You're not suppose to have it all figured out yet, nobody does.

• hey mytakeowner --------- @loveisbeautiful is saying your standards are not realistic.

• Sorry, but at least in my view this article came off as simply an immature rant. I would think a significant proportion of the female population would disagree with many of the things you just stated are the opinions of 'one of many.'

If you want people to listen to you and your opinions, try not writing like a preteen; no one will take you seriously otherwise.

• "If you stay up until six in the morning every night, with unreasonable reasons to do so, (I. E. To play Call of Duty or watch two seasons of Supernatural), I do not like you."

excuse you that is a good reason to be up at two in the morning supernatural is an awesome show.

so if he is nice to all girls, you won't like him?

and you are being unrealistic when i first saw the guy i am interested in right now, i thought he was a jock who only thinks of himself. He always dresses like an athlete and always has a hat that he wears backwards. (he was a soccer player in high school and still likes to work out) But when he started a conversation with me i decided to give him a chance. As we talked i noticed how incredibly smart he is and how easily he can make me laugh. And he is a harry potter fan thats the best part.

• 1) I disagree. If you are a 20 year old man with a job and responsibilities, this shouldn't really be a lifestyle, should it?

2) "I won't like him" means I won't like him in a romantic way. I will think he's a nice guy, but I won't think he likes me in a more-than-friends way, therefore making me not like him that way either.

3) Did I not say being an athlete, musician, or anything in between is commendable? Did I not say a passion for sports or anything else is good? I'm failing to see your final point.

• Do you think your own lifestyle choices reflect the perfect way of living? Are you saying your way of living is 100% the best way to do so?

Again, like I responded to a previous commenter before; The line about "liking the post about my little brothers soccer came" is not meant to be taken in the literal sense but in the way of me wanting him to care about my life rather than just my face and body.
      The statement about how a person dresses and presents themselves is only one part of the Take. It is the accumulation of all things, personality, dress, and other things that make the man. One could overlook a style they typically wouldn't find attractive (a dumb jock look in your scenario) if the guy was as genuine as I was stating he would be better off being.

• 1. Is it the best way to live life? Probably not. Do I care? No. When you are in college you will understand.
      2. Sure let's go with that.

• Don’t treat me like you treat every other girl. If you treat me the same way you treated the girl you just spoke to, I’m going to think you think of me as just another girl, and I won’t like you.
    YASSS!! ALL THE WAY!

• <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

• hmm. ok.
    while i can understand the views u have here, i think their presentation has come off the wrong way, as u can tell by the responses. i was interested to read some of those before answering, and unfortunately you've been slammed, so i do feel bad for u on that.

on the other hand, we must remember that love is a 2 way street dear. i can't expect Mr Perfect at my door. men have flaws, and so do i. i must learn to coexist with those flaws. if i expect something in a relationship, i need to be ready to give all that back. I'm pretty sure you'd know what you're doing if u have a partner, but i think considering the realities of human nature is helpful. i can see why u wouldn't like guys who do this and that and so on, but we need to be reasonable here. there must be a whole list of things guys don't like about us either.

for both men and women in general... when we notice flaws in the other gender, we need to leave it up to our judgement to be able to filter what flaws we can and can't deal with. should i take all the shit that comes my way? absolutely not! i don't have to! but my guy is gonna make mistakes, he's gonna do things i don't like. i won't be able to stand him sometimes... but ill love him anyway. THIS is love.

• Haha guys and their AXE cologne. I had a guy break up with me and lets see.. it was over text and oh yeah, he said in these words "sorry you're the snuggling type and i'm just the ass-grabbing type." I mean holy shit do they ever not think about sex? 😔 Bear with me though! Its a teenage thing, our gentleman is waiting for us, after high school though, its pretty much impossible right now.. 😂

• We (at least I do) do care for more things than sex, personally, I'm not an "ass-grabbing type" as long as the girl I'm with is happy, I'm happy, I don't need sex from her to be happy, but, I'm a nerd, and not the best looking, so, just look past me

• @PeachSunset I missed you soo much! Awe... I am too clingy... to u peach!!!

• @peachsunset, thank you, but I'm nothing special, I was just raised to respect women

• 'One of many'

No, you're on your own, love.

• may i add some things to this list?
    if you say "wyd" every 5 min I DONT LIKE YOU. i mean really? you can't think of a topic that we can talk about?
    if you say "send a pic" I DONT LIKE YOU.
    "whats your bra size?" BYE
    if you only talk to me about sex BYE

• Yassss girl xD

• You guys are stupid if you think this isn't pretty much the truth. Every girl does want you to care about them as much as they care about you and if you seriously think that this is a joke or 'doesn't qualify' for older women then you're pretty stupid. Sure I'm 15 years old, but I'm also a female and when I say that this is pretty legit then I really mean it. Some girls might disagree with this, but most actually do agree with this and you guys who are making fun of it is just pretty stupid because 1. It shows that you're immature (So who's really the little kid here?) and 2. You don't know how girls really think about this stuff. This is the most legit thing that I've read about if a girl likes you or not and that's pretty hard to find nowadays. This was a great piece to read.

• another teen here, everyone, pay attention to her important rant.

• Your crap wasn't an opinion, it's just crap.

• Oh dear, here come another one. I hope you realize not everyone thinks like this, girls.

• Well, I think its safe to say that men don't like you either. Have a wonderful life and I wish you the best of luck with not liking anyone.

• LOL wait, so a bunch of guys 18+ waste their time commenting about how this is a load of crap. It's her opinion, but you took the time to tell her you 'dont like her' and she's immature... k...

• "A message to all the boys..." that's her title -_-

• Fact is, 18+ guys have all known a girl like her. We're also more likely to value substance, and less likely to put up with this kind of crap this girl is shovelling. And we've alllll seen what happens to her in the future, and it ain't pretty. Our opinions are valid ;).

• Wow there's a lot of Yous in this Mytake 😱

• Hey you! Yes you, the clueless no social cues taking guy, you right there... yes you lol
    Yeah, you
    She's not into you.

• I hate the guy says, "I'm into music." Have not being into physics or math. A guy into music is into nothing

• I'm sorry you don't have a creative side of your brain. A world without art or music is not a world worth living in. I believe in an all around education. Considering you can't even construct a single proper sentence, I'd venture a guess that you're not winning any awards based on the other side of your brain either. Have fun with that.

• JESUS CHRIST and I thought I disliked a lot of people. Many of things you've listed that make you not like a guy are just immature and unreasonable. Have fun being single forever or stuck with a boring suck-up.

• too much negativity on this post. i stopped reading after the thousand time you said 'i don't like you' lmao

• It was good until I got to the video game and tv show part. This is obviously you're personal preference though (I thought this would be a helpful guide), but many men and women watch tv series for hours on end or play video games especially teenagers it's not a big deal and I personally prefer it so I can understand guys who would rather watch tv or play video games all day.

• More from Girls
    13