How to Write Basic a Love Letter

Writing a love letter is perhaps the easiest way to tell someone how you feel aboutthem. You can write a love letter to anyone who holds meaning to you, not just asignificant other, or crush, but also your mother, father, grandparents...even afriend, anyone who you appreciate. Of course, a love letter to a significant other,or a crush will be different from a love letter--or as I like to call them, "appreciationletter"---to a family member, or friend. Here are a few general guidelines to helpyou write your love letter, for those who it doesn't come natural to, or for thosewho are just generally interested.

1. Desire

You have to want to write a love letter for your love interest. If you feel forced to write the letter it just won’t come out genuine. It will feel generic to the receiver of the letter because no one wants to feel like an obligation. Desire is key to success, and you want to be successful in your pursuit to love. Therefore, remember if you are just itching to tell the person how you feel, whether it is because you are sorry, appreciate them or in love---most likely---this is the ideal time to put your thoughts down on paper.

2. Organize Your Thoughts

The hardest part for most is that they don’t know where to begin. They either know exactly what they want to say, but end up screwing it up because they did not organize their thoughts. Or, they freeze up and end up with writer’s block. My suggestion is, take a piece of scrap of paper and make a bullet form list of everything you want the person to know. Whether, it’s about their physical features, how they make you feel, their generosity, admirable qualities, or their incomparable inner beauty just write it down as reference so you don’t forget to add anything.

3. Salutation

Your salutation is the first thing the donee will read. Begin your letter with a salutation that is strong and represents what that person means to you. For instance, if you have a strong relationship with the person, you may want to enter with something such as, "(insert name), the one who brought inspiration into life." If that is too fervent, perhaps something more lighthearted, "Beautiful/Handsome (name)," or even use their pet name if it is sweet and intimate, for example, if their name is Sally, you may want to start with "My Sweet Sally." If their name is, Tyler you may want to start with something cute and clever, "My Ally in Crime Ty."

4. Honesty

Keep it real. It’s good to be charming, but don’t say things you don’t mean. Empty compliments and overrated words will only aggravate someone if they know you don’t mean it. It’s better to tell someone, “I think you’re the most interesting person I have ever met” rather than saying, “you’re the reason the sun rises.” Don't claim that they make you want to be better and your actions don't match up. Your honesty will make the letter go undisputed. Respect is key to relationships as well, any relationship.

5. Keep it Simple

You’re not writing “Hamlet”, so there is no need to use complicated poetry if it’s not your forte. To form a nice bodied letter, take your list and bullet by bullet write a a sentence or two for each of the reasons/qualities you love about the person. Reminisce on the moment you met your love interest, or the time your mother stayed with you all day in the hospital. Explain why they make you feel the way you do, and why they are so special to you.

6. Be Expressive

Try drawing a picture for the person you're interested in. Words such as: scent, hair, angel, special, strength, angelic, lover, giving, alluring, tempting, sensual, sensuality, seeing, tasting, touching, holding, caressing, memories, memorable, darling, gorgeous, absence, velvet, voyage, beautiful, vision, elation, blossoms, happy, kisses, innocent, passion, dreaming, delirious, temptation, complete, desire, content, embrace, rainbow, rose, adoring, stars, privileged, heart.

7. Be Brave

Drop all inhibitions. When writing a love letter you are trying to tell the person how you feel about them, and what they mean to you. Occasionally, that makes most people feel vulnerable. Remember, just because you are making a confession does not mean you are vulnerable. It just means you are courageous.

8. Revise

Revise your letter once, or twice. Mistakes such as, grammar/spelling can really devalue the letter. Projecting the impression that the writer doesn't really care. You may want to put it down for an hour or two, and then comeback to it. It's okay if it takes a while to write, you are trying to create a quality love letter, not just something you slapped together.

9. Closing the Letter

When you close your letter, try to stay away from cliche or cold closings, such as "yours truly," "sincerely," "cordially yours," "genuinely," these just sound distant. One word can disappoint the reader, so stay away from formal words. After reading such a beautiful letter, you may want to end with, "After a restless night, my mind will allow me to sleep, (and your signature)," or for more of a light hearted ending "And now I will let my hand rest because my mind is at peace knowing that this is all out of me, (insert signature)." Make it your own.

10. Creativity

Creativity is counted for, a lot. If you are sending this as an e-mail, you may want to add a couple of links at the bottom of the e-mail of: flowers, hugs, chocolates, or maybe a picture of a sweet inside joke you both share. If this is tangible letter, select a nice piece of stationary & envelope. Perhaps you may want to spray with perfume if you are a girl, and if you a guy you may want to include some rose petals, or wrap a ribbon around it. If you are very young, maybe include the person's favorite candy, even if it is Sour Patch Kids, it's okay. It adds to the fact that you are paying attention to details.

Well, there you have it. The basic guidelines for a love letter, or even an appreciation letter to someone you love.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• I like the fact you emphasize honesty.
    by the way, welcome back, thought you were gone from Gag forever!

• I know that. That's why I started by saying, "As far as love interests and crushes go".

• As far as love interests and crushes go, writing a love letter to get the girl is a bad idea. I've made that mistake many times. Girls think it's creepy if a guy other than their BF/husband puts that much emotion and romance into something for them, that it smacks of desperation and creepiness. Just a caveat to guys who want to use your guide for that purpose.

• You are overanalyzing it WAY too much! Just write what you feel like to, keep common sense and it will be fine!

• Absolutely brilliant must read for anybody who wants to write an appreciative letter! 5 Gold Stars!

What Girls Said 11

• Thank You! =D

• I give you an A+ you're awesomeeee!

• Where do you see him often? At school?

Because if you drop him off at his work someone could see you. Do you know his address? You can mail it to him.

• I have a question, there is this guy I have been in love with for almost a year, I want him to get the letter, but I don't want to give it to him, I want to stay anonymous, what could I do? Just secretly drop it off at his work or leave it on the counter in the shop he works at?

• @Quadrophonic - Sorry, I just woke up, but thank you anyway. =)

• @Shadoww - Thank you <33333333333333 =D

• awesome article :D

<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

• @Quadrophonic84 - It's not just about love letters, but also how to write love letter to a love one, such as parent/family member/friend, Just to show someone you appreciate them. Thank you, =)

@Aksel - There are lots of people who overcomplicate. This is a guide to help someone stay focused.

@knowmeyourself - Thank you. =) *blushing*

@DianaDDreamer - LOL, thank you. =)

• WOW! Amazing! I say 10 Gold Stars!

• Amazing article written by a lovely lady =) *kisses*

• LOL, thank you =)