Top 5 ways to meet people online

Top 5 ways to meet people online

I have been online since 1998 and have been a REGULAR internet user since 2002. As a natural consequence of modern living I think 3 of my relationships started out online and 3 of them were people I met in person to begin with. I am not counting near misses, disasters and just-good-friend situations but will give an honest breakdown of batting averages as far as I can.

For sake of brevity I shall break down my five fave genres/types of web environment for meeting people.

5. Least fave is "dating" sites. Why? On OK Cupid I really wanted to meet an amazing woman who turned out to be a xanax adled crazy person. On another site I only talked to two women, never met either. On another site I had some guy phone me five times wanting a threesome with his wife. Wanted me to fuck her whilst he watched. Not my thing. On another site I got no responses whatsoever to cheerful "Hi" messages I sent out, in two years, whilst a buddy was fucking three skanks a week average from there. Oh and finally, there was a kink site - I will name names - Fet-life, a female friend got anally raped by a guy on there. She asked him to leave. He refused, forced penetration, got away with it coz she could not face the idea of a court case and her family knowing all the sexual stuff she was experimenting with.

4. Second least fave is social networking sites. Don't get me wrong they have facilitated existing relationships well for a decade, but the batting average is very low. Sites like MySpace since 2004 have given me lots of amazing friends I still talk to but they are just good friends. Facebook is useful for when my current fiancee is overseas as well as for old internet buddies, friends of friends I could have hooked up with but didn't, ex colleagues etc. But these sites don't get you laid.

3. I am ambivalent about Microblogging and discussion sites. They give false expectations, and when you get to know the real person you often NOPE so hard the rejection is painful to the dumpee and dumper alike. But sites like this one and Tumblr, reddit, criticl, I will even include boards like 4chan and battlenet, are all great ways of getting to know a person on a variety of mental levels. Tumblr emphatically allows sharing of selfies and nudity and even blatant explicit p*rn but regularly people get past that and just talk about life and politics.

2. A preferred area is chat sites. Early 2002 I met my most significant other (besides the current one) on a vodafone wap chat, on mobile.

I then got hooked on freechatnow from internet cafes, slept with one woman in 2004, met others socially, and still others I could have hooked up with.

In the past 4 years I just go on omegle if I am bored. I can spend 12 hours a night chatting and maybe pick up a few friends who become contacts either on Twitter or tumblr or kik.

1. My number one pick up spot has to be Travian, so I shall say gaming sites in general. Especially for women it is refreshing to meet a guy who isn't an arsehole who reacts to the fact he is talking to a vagina owner. And that is the way to generally PULL on the internet. Just find people to connect with and have a laugh with and by playing together and plotting and organising and laughing you find within months you are meeting up for drinks and ending up in bed together. It's weird how that happens. My current partner noticed one evening I had not talked about Travian in 6 months. I had been playing since 2007, had retired in 2010, came out of retirement in 2012 for a special retro server version 3.6, and lost an impressive huge army to starvation as I failed to log in for a whole weekend. The game had spanned two physical relationships and spawned a few other intense friendships and was the ultimate proof of my love for my now-fiancee, that I could lose all my hard work and just walk away from the addiction because my real life with her mattered more.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• Hmmm... by 'meet people' you meant have sex with people...
    Maybe you should have been clearer in which case I wouldn't have read this.

It's nice things worked out for you, though. =)

• lol im done with everything that has to do with meeting people online and chatting or what so ever. last time i meet a nutcase on this site and now he's going on a date with a girl who he started talking with from this site. seriously. im fearing for her saftey but i dont even know how to contact her...

• don't get it

• I agree with meeting people through gaming. This is how I met my boyfriend. I started gaming on MMO's when I was about 9 years old on a game called Ultima Online. I met him when I was 12. We always remained in contact, met IRL, and have been together for over 3 years now. :) When you can meet someone through a shared hobby, it's so much fun.

• I don't think you should try finding people online it's dangerous

• Mmmmm I do not agree. This is based on personal experience. This doesn't apply to most of the people.

• Your ranking seems to be based purely on your own personal success. Do you have any actual evidence to support this? Stats and shit?

Because if I were to rank on MY success stories, Okcupid would be №1 followed by DeviantART. I had a few relationships with likeminded people from the art community and my most recent one and longest to date is my dashing stud from Okcupid who I have been with nearly 3 years.

All very subjective and can't actually be used as a basis for ranking where a person is most likely to be successful.

• don't get it

What Guys Said 12

• for your #2.. I met my ex fiancee when Yahoo Chat was normal and wasn't invaded by nuts. POF and OKC are ok, but they are many who just go according to looks and not for who you are.

• As for me, online dating is the best option for shy people. But if you want to date online, you should choose appropriate and reliable website e. g. http://www.bridge-of-love.com and create a good profile with nice photos of you. And everything will be fine, I used such a method and it worked for me ;)

• In gaming sites like Travian, the m/f ratio is wildly lopsided as well. Good for you as a lady.

• I'm a dude tho? But yeah it's 7 to 3 men to women on sites like trav

• Interesting... it's a shame I don't play video games anymore.

But yeah traditional dating sites like OkStupid or POF aren't that great. The sites themselves are nice but they seem to attract low quality people on there. I was thinking about making an account but I scrolled through both the sites' potential partners and was like "f**k this".

Overall, I think making friends in real life and having them introduce you to their friends online is the best route. It's worked for several of my friends.

• have to admit dating site suck big time, you think the 2 week chat goes well, start over, chat and start over again, what a pain.

• An interesting read!

• You just blew my mind.

If I was a swinger I would take your advice very seriously. But since I'm saving myself for someone like me I'm going to keep doing my thing with the dating sites (everyone SAYS they are there to date, after all).

• 6 relationships in 12 years hardly makes me a swinger

• while it is mentioned all the time that people meet on games like this, or wow, or whatever, that doesn't mean that games are good for everybody that is trying to find somebody online. those games are just good because it is one nerd meeting another nerd. non nerds, won't be on those games at all

• Also there are for more guys who are into that type of thing then girls, so it's hardly even a good approach for male gamers.

• indeed

• Interesting take.

• Um most women only respond to attractive guys online. Fact

• oh you poor thing.
      Still excusing yourself with that lie? They're attracted to atributes often associated with attractive people. Confidence! Mental strength! Appearing to be a self made man! That sort of stuff.
      As long as you don't look like you headbutted a chainsaw while bathing with piranhas you'll be fine. Sure, looks IS a plus (no point hiding that) but in the end looks won't matter if your personality is rotten to the core.

Oh, and that attitude of yours, that's making girls nope out of there faster than you can say "hi".

• That response has nothing to do with what I said about online dating. Look it up if you don't believe me. Most of those average looking guys they met in person. I am talking about online dating. Most but not all females regardless what age they age and regardless how they look like ignore guys that are not attractive because they have all kinds of guys messaging them and they decide to only respond to good looking guys most of the time

• What's wrong? Truth hurts

• I also don't get it. You're still trying to date on non dating sites while you have a fiancĂ©?

• no? I am not trying to date but I do socialize both online and offline platonically

• I'm sure your future wife will enjoy that.

• You could pretty much flip this list upside down to get my list. Dating sites are my number one for success. I used to meet a fair few people through chatrooms and the like as well.

Gaming sites seems to be a very specific type of person. Don't get me wrong, I've gone to meets and stuff but finding attractive singles is extremely rare - congrats on finding a fiancee but you're the exception rather than the rule.