Boyfriend said I love you when he was half-asleep?

Last night I was on the phone with my boyfriend before he went to sleep.. we always talk before he goes to bed and he's usually really tired but tries to pretend like he's not and stay up longer. Last night, I could tell he was dosing off so I said ok go to sleep, goodnight and he said ok goodnight. I said goodnight and he said I love you and instantly I was so shocked that I said what? he said what ( you could tell he was so tired and didn't catch why I was shocked ) I decided just to let it go and I said goodnight doostet daram ( which means like I like you so much in farsi , similar to i love you ) and he said it back to me and gave a kiss and said goodnight..

I know its different if they say it when drunk or during sex but what about half asleep? Before he wrote me I love you and he used like an emoji to say love with the heart but I don't know , everything is great between us and we do care about each other a lot.. should I ask him about it later?

Most Helpful Guy

• anybody who is about to fall asleep will be extremely honest. if he didn't love you he would have just ended the conversation abruptly and went to sleep. I wouldn't push it though, men have a hard time expressing emotion, and he probably didn't realize he said it himself. let him say it when he is awake. Just be happy he love ya girl.

• Thanks he brought it up the day after and then like a week later we started saying it always to Each other ! You were right!

• Hehe, told ya! Super happy for ya.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't think you should ask him about it... let him come to his own conclusion
    I do think he meant it but couldn't filter out what he was saying in that state

• Well, i think in our sleep we can say stuff we don't realize and i think that's what went on with your Bf
    but i am sure he really does love you or if you two never met in real life it might be he is starting to have stronger feelings for you and said it out of the sleepy moment it's hard to say..

• ... wait, do people actually end up in a boyfriend/girlfriend relation BEFORE they establish that they "love" each other?

People are weird.

• Stop for a second... Take a deep breathe... Then ask yourself... Why am I making a big deal out of stupid shit? I tried so hard to give a shit while reading, but I couldn't. I'm actually shocked I read the whole thing.

• Actually half asleep is good in my opinion. It's when you're least guarded and yet you know what you're saying. It's the "dream-cog state" (I forget what the actual term is).

• I'm pretty sure he did realized that he said it, he just used the situation to say it, just in case you don't feel the same way towards him.
    Do you love him? If you do, you should say it to him, because most likely, he's right now wondering why you didn't say it back.

• Do u love him?

• Yes. Investigate. It's so sexy to have to confront that half-asleep reality.

• Uhhh... he loves you?

• It may be an automatic response like he was saying goodnight to his mom. I don't think it counts.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't understand the problem here? Do you NOT want your bf to love you or something? :o

• he said I love you. If it is drunk, sex, half asleep.. doesn't matter. Take it, and run...
    just wait until he says it again :) so you can properly say it back

• He is trying his best. Why do u need to grill him about it.

• Ask him about soon so you can make sure you're on the same page

• Oh trust me, he probably knows he said it and is freaking out. It happened to me with my bf and I honestly didn't mean it. I was half awake half dreaming. Thankfully he didn't hear it.