Does he only want me for sex?

So I met this guy about 3 and 1/2 months ago. We hung out a couple times within the first couple weeks, then he randomly didn't contact me at all for about a week and 1/2. Then he contacted me again, and we hung out again. That night, he told me to text him when I get home, so I did, and he never replied. I wasn't about to just keep texting him because I figured if he wanted to talk to me, he would. A whole month goes by and I don't hear anything from him and I basically assumed I'd never talk to him again. But just a few nights ago, I randomly get a call from him and he asks me where I have been and then proceeds to say he's sorry he never texted me back, he is really bad about texting, and invites me over. So I come over, and we do what we usually do. We watched a movie, made out and stuff (but didn't have sex), and I ended up sleeping over and I left early in the morning for work.
The thing with him is that he flirts with me over text and in person, he always initiates kissing me, but never says he likes me and doesn't cuddle with me in any way, and doesn't ask me to actually go out and do something with him. But he also hasn't actually even tried to have sex with me.
I'm to the point where I just want to know where his head is at and why he keeps coming back and contacting me even after long periods of time of not talking at all, and if he has any interest at all in something more than just a friends with benefits type thing. Because that's kind of what it seems like we are.
What do you guys think? Should I just straight up ask him what we are/what he is looking for right now?

What Guys Said 1

• Yeah... After 3 and a half months I'd just talk to him about it and see what he says.

What Girls Said 1

• Its always better to just ask. But from the sounds of it he doesn't seem like the serious type at all