Is It Okay If People Don't Love The Music You Do

We all have done it, sitting someone down and playing them a record or a song that you absolutely love. The expectation is that the person you are showing it to will respond to it in the way that you have, especially if that person is someone you have feelings for. Unfortunately, more often than not they aren't as blown away are you are. It's okay, though.

Music can be very personal. Certain songs mean a lot to you because of where you may have been in life when you first heard it or what you were doing when it came on the radio. Over time these songs take on a life of their own to you they become more than just music. They become an expression of feelings, a theme song, a mood shifter, any number of things, really.

To expect someone to have those exact same thoughts when they hear it is unfair. Of course it bums you out when they are like "I mean, it's okay I guess" or "Nah, I don't really like it." That doesn't mean that their taste is bad or that you are incompatible. It just means that you have a strong personal connection to that music that everyone has to certain songs or records.

It is not always going to be like that scene is Garden State where Natalie Portman turns on The Shins for Zach Braff and he is just as blown away as she is.

Just remember, it's okay.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• Of course it's okay...
    But I'd hate for someone I love to have what I consider 'terrible' taste in music. That would make me sad.

Doesn't mean I'd give them up as a person, but I definitely couldn't share that part of my life to the fullest extent with them - and that's one of my most exciting parts of my life - being a musician...

• I don't mind when people don't like the same music as me. I only mind when they insult my taste in music and think theirs is more superior.

• I don't share my music with anyone, unless asked. People can be real snotty shitbags when it comes to taste, having a holier than thou attitude about what they think is "quality music".

If someone wants to show me a song they like, I'll always be happy to listen as I'm on a constant lookout for new stuff. But I don't play any of the songs I like to others, because my taste doesn't focus on one genre. People tend to assume what your overall taste is by just one song and I listen to a variety of things from classic to heavy metal.

• It's totally fine to me if other people don't like the music I listen too.
    I listen to bands like Metallica, SOiL, 5FDP, BFMV, Drowning Pool, etc. This kinda music isn't considered to be very "friendly" or "easy to listen to" anyways so it's totally fine by me if people don't like it.
    One pet peeve tho is people telling me that the music I listen to is "the devil's music". However, I usually just don't care :)

• It 's not so simple sometimes. What music genre you listen to often affects the way you conduct yourself, your mindset and what kind of entertainment you like. It's difficult sometimes to be friends with people who listen to totally different music genres, and not be judgmental towards people with very different taste in music.

eg, I prefer to go to rock bars, while most of my friends prefer bars with contemporary greek music. In rock bars you dress however you want to, drinks are in reasonable prices and people dance and enjoy themselves, while in bars with contemporary greek music, bouncers look you up and down to let you in, you have to wear formal and revealing clothes, they are overpriced, even though usually you are all crammed in a small table standing and there are many creepy men in there as well.

• Yeah I like acdc and people are shocked.

• Life would be so boring if everyone were exactly same..

• Yes, why would it not be? Everyone has their own preferences :)

What Guys Said 12

Yes, and i love it. I like to be different in some sections and music is my thing where i can be really me. Everybody calls my music gay shit (because they stupid and don't know other insults). I can do every genre but it must be not that loud shouting party shit. I don't like it because lyrics shit and there is no melody or an ugly one.

I don't care because i call rap shit too and they don't like.

• Music is mostly background noise for me. I really don't care.

• You gotta make your own kind of music.

• Not liking some songs is fine, even not being much of a music person is fine, but I could never date a girl who was exclusively a mindless consumer of mainstream popular music.

• Tbh i dont give af my fav artist is Chris brown i like what i like others can go and do what they do. But in my opinion i find that the people who enjoy Screamo/ Heavy metal get it bad.

• No it's not okay. Either someone loves metal or I won't speak to them.

• It's worse for those of us who listen to thrash metal.

• Probably, because I like Linkin Park while most of the people in my locality don't.

• True, if everyone liked the same exact music and everything else then the world would be boring as hell.

• Yeah I feel you. I've played songs for some people and they are like "Man this is fire." Then I've played songs for others and they are like "Oh... okay." Then I play songs for some others and they are like "Don't like." Yeah music can be personal. Music is art and art can be personal. You see a painting that touches you. Maybe it reminds you of something. Maybe it reminds you of you. Perhaps it is just beautiful to you. Others may not feel the same way. Accepting that can be tough sometimes lol

• since being an individual is wrong..

• Just have to add, Garden State was an awesome movie.