Top Five Christmas Holiday Movies!

These are my top 5 Christmas movies in order from least to most.

5. A Christmas Story

I admit I have a love/hate relationship with this movie. I love the storyline and the nostalgia of the 1940's along with the anachorisms in this movie since it was released in 1983 around 40 years after the setting of the story. I really do not like how pretty much they portrayed everyone as an asshole from the teacher, to the brother, to Santa, the father, the elves, the other students etc.... It seems like aside from Ralphie there were no really likeable characters in "A Christmas Story". I also did not like that they seemed to treat the younger brother better than Ralphie although that is real life sometimes. I also don't understand how small things nowdays were bigger deals back then such as: Getting a C plus on a writing assignment. Nowadays most would consider theirselves lucky to get a C or higher grade hell, even a D is passing nowdays. Letting a bad word slip out, nowadays we don't really even care. So yeah I love "A Christmas Story", but hate it too.

4. The Grinch

I admit I like both versions of "The Grinch". Though I do favor the storyline and acting in the second one because of Jim Carrey, I like the Mr. Grinch song from the 60's cartoon version better. Although the Cindy Lou Who in the modern version is older than the cartoon version, I feel she portrays a more in depth, sympathetic to the Grinch character compated to the cartoon. The modern version actually goes more in depth to the background of everything which is what I like.

3. Jingle All the Way

This is one of my favorites of all time because I laughed so hard at this as a kid. As I got older I started to realize how much the movie is more about mass consumerism and the fact that anymore people are so rushed at Christmastime like any other time of the year. The father is always busy and never makes time for his kid or wife. Then the hottest selling toy of the year comes out so he is in a mad rush to find it. Meanwhile the neighborhood "nice guy" is flirting with his wife and most of the women in the neighborhood if not the entire city of Minneapolis. "Jingle All the Way" I remember came out in the mid 90's after or right at the time of the Tickle Me Elmo craze.

2. A Charlie Brown Christmas

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" is an instant classic for sure. The music, the tree, everything in this movie is magical. This is one movie I have to watch at Christmastime no matter what! I love the music in this movie as well as the classic dance scene. The tree is so cool. Snoopy is just awesome! Plus the Linus and Lucy theme has become a standard on Christmas music playlists everywhere! This movie would have been #1 if it wasn't for this last movie coming up.

1. Christmas Vacation

"Christmas Vacation" is the funniest of all Christmas movies! I lose it everytime Chevy Chase goes into his rant when his bonus is delivered. The cousin played by Randy Quaid really makes this movie too. I really love the lights scene, the cat in the Christmas tree, the turkey deflating, and the rant scene most of all, this whole movie to me is just so damn funny.

So what are your top holiday movies?

Feel free to list them below!

smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

• awesome! my favorites are jim carrey version of the grinch and the polar express

• I like Polar Express too. They actually have a Polar Express train here in North Carolina at Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. It's a real running train pulled by a steam locomotive, plus the have the hot cocoa and cookie served by the chefs like in the movie, plus Santa comes on and gives each child a bell like in the movie as well. So that is cool

• where i live they do the same thing and they have hot chocolate, pictures with santa, plus all kids are encouraged to come in their pajamas

• Oh yeah here too with the pajamas. It's expensive though, but if you had kids it would be worth it to do it at least once. One year a church where I used to go to put on The Grinch as a play.

• awesome =]
    my favourites are the three "The Santa Clause" movies.

• Those are great too! I thought of adding those, and I should have added it instead of Christmas Story. Which I like that movie too but not really the people in it.

• There are others too: Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Home Alone etc...

• I love Christmas movies! 👍 The Grinch is awesome! My all time favourite is... " It's a wonderful Life" it is an old movie , but a great storyline 😊

• Gotta love that National Lampoons Christmas! From Cousin Eddie to the snotty yuppy neighbors to everyone running riot through the house because of a squirrel, I can't stop laughing at that movie! Anyone else love Harold and Kumar's 3D Christmas Movie?

• I have never seen any of these movies. My favourite is Christmas in Conneticut.

• A classic! It's a Wonderful Life is good as well so is Miracle on 34th Street

• My all time favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story. My mom, sister, and I watch it every single year multiple times.

media.giphy.com/media/SXPxGVvyReJ1K/giphy.gif

This movie is the best and makes me remember my family.

I also like the original and Jim Carey remake of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. And I love Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer :) classic, I watch every year in the living room with my grandma.

• Oh that lamp. I bought my niece a replica of that lamp. She displays it every Christmas.

• Haha, nice. I've seen it on Amazon.

• Awesome! :D

What Guys Said 11

• 1. Elf.
    2. Animated Grinch.
    3. The year without a santa claus.
    4. Die Hard.

• I watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas" EVERY year while I wrap Christmas gifts in my room! :-D

• When i was younger we would watch the "Home Alone" movies, my sister and I used to love it.

• Love all of those. My personal favourites include:

1. Miracle On 34th Street
    2. Home Alone 1 & 2
    3. The Santa Clause movies
    4. Father Christmas
    5. The Snowman

• I am disappointed that Die Hard is nowhere to be seen on this list. And for those who think it isn't a Christmas movie, www.craveonline.com/.../796777-seriously-die-hard-christmas-movie . There, enough said.

• I think all of Ralphie's family are sympathetic in A Christmas Story. The little brother is a little brother, the mom is loving (you can see how she regrets making him wash his mouth out with soap after she tries it on herself) and the dad is a good guy. I think it's one of the most honest and well-observed stories of being a kid I've seen put to film.

Charlie Brown is a little bit dated, but I love it too. I have the original book version lying around here somewhere.

Here's one you might not know: Blizzard. I really recommend it. It's three stories woven together, but it's about a little girl in 1950s Ontario who wants to be a figure skater, and the daughter of one of Santa's Reindeer who loves to fly.

Best Christmas Movie Ever is Die Hard, of course.

• Very true now that you think of it, but remember too it was the 1940s, we were getting ready to enter another World War at any moment. So i guess parenting was a lot different in the 1940s than compared to the modern era,

• I dunno, I grew up in the 80s and most of the stuff that happens, I could relate to it. Most of it is a fairly timeless story (you could update a lot of it to the modern day) and that's part of the charm. You also have to remember that it's from Alfie's perspective and so of course not getting his way seems unfair to him!

• Alfie? Ralphie. Sorry. I've been reading a certain adults-only webcomic lately...

• She wrapped the Damn cat ! and sewer gas don't light that... Boom! Lines from lampoons hilarious

• you forgot home alone and die hard

• What is the deal with Die Hard everyone? That does not sound like a good Christmas movie.

• it may not sounds like a Christmas movie to you, but it's still a Christmas movie... and a pretty good move to me :D

• You forgot Die Hard with Bruce Willis. The movie takes place on Christmas day when John McClain has to fight a group of German terrorists in a giant building.

• How is that a happy Christmas movie?

• I told you, it takes place on Christmas day. And it has a happy ending. Also, unlike the rest of these movies Die Hard is entertaining for adults.

• This had to be a hard choice!

It would have been for me, as I would have even mentioned some of those movies we wouldn't necessarily think of as "movies at Christmas" like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon... Maybe a list of 25. ;)

• A Christmas Carol, the 1951 version with Alistair Sim. He's still the only scrooge who is completely believable and the miser and reformed and every stage in between. No special effects or high production values, just some really fine acting.

• That's true not many can do a good Scrooge. Michael Caine did a ok one in the Muppet Christmas Carol

• They can generally either do a good miser or a good jolly uncle but not both or the transition. Sim hits it pitch perfect, most of the supporting performances are good too (the boy they have playing Tiny Tim is a bit overdone but it is Dickens after all) but Sim just shines.