Why Showering Once a Week Should Be Perfectly Acceptable

Why showering once a week should be perfectly acceptable!

A lot of people think that showering every single day is absolutely necessary. I don't agree. The first thing that people need to understand is that people have different skin and hair types. I have always had naturally super curly hair that tends to be quite dry. My sister has much softer/wavier hair so hers does not dry out as easily as mine does. Also, we both have dry skin (we never get oily or pimply skin but we do have to moisturize quite a bit especially in the winter). For this reason, it's nearly impossible to have a complete shower (hair and body) every single day. People do not need to shower every single day because it WILL deplete your skin and hair of moisture and essential oils that allow them to be hydrated.

Whenever I go out in public, my hair is always straightened and I have a lot more confidence that way. Having super curly/frizzy hair is difficult to handle so I usually shower on Wednesdays and for the rest of the week my hair is straight and beautiful looking! For those of you who do not have curly hair and are blessed with extremely soft straight hair, it is extremely difficult to go through the straightening process every single day and truth be told, your hair starts looking better as the days go by (less static and it becomes more tamed and glossy looking). If I did, my hair would become even dryer and damaged because of the constant hair straightening.

I recently found hair products that moisturize my hair very well, but that still does not provide me with a free pass to abuse my hair in that way. Although I would like to embrace my big curls and appreciate what I have, society is not very accepting and straight hair is generally thought of as more beautiful. Secondly, I believe that if you are a generally hygienic person you don't need to shower every single day. Applying deodorant on a consistent basis is extremely important and you can still wash up without actually bathing/showering on a daily basis. You can still apply body lotions and body sprays that leave you smelling and feeling fresh.

What are people doing that they need to shower every single day?? If you are eating healthy foods, your sweat should not even be all that bad in the first place. If you exercise as frequently as I do, just remember the tips above: deodorant!! For people thinking that this all sounds a little unsanitary and gross, even your private parts are able to clean themselves and experts actually suggest that girls should go "commando" every once in a while (it can actually prevent certain infections from occurring because of constantly being covered). I'm not saying that going "commando" is always acceptable, but every once in a while is not the end of the world.

Another obvious reason why constant showering isn't always the best choice is because of the environment. It's a waste of water to shower every single day if you generally smell and feel clean. I think showering just for the sake of showering is a little bizarre. I can understand that some people feel this obsessive need to shower every day, but doing it several times a day is a little extreme in my opinion. When people shower in the morning and then at night...what could have possibly happened in the hours in between that possessed you to take yet ANOTHER shower?? Maybe I'm just a nasty, gross, disgusting, completely unhygienic person, but I feel that it's perfectly reasonable to shower only once or twice a week.

Final reason (which probably makes me sound all the more bizarre): Sometimes you're just too tired or lazy to take a shower every single day. We all work, go to school or just have major obligations that are a bit time too consuming. We don't always have time to shower every day (let alone multiple times a day). Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels this way (that would be kinda embarrassing) ahahah :P

Please share your opinions below and thanks for reading MyTake!! <3

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 5

• I shower twice a day bc I'm a sweaty mess after gym. U mad sis?

• Just get that fucking shower!

• Oh, it should be acceptable, but I don't like smelling like shit, so I do shower at least every two days.

• "Anytime you take a shower -- especially a hot one -- with soap and a scrubbing device like a washcloth or a loofah, you're undermining the integrity of your skin's horny layer. The soap and the hot water dissolve the lipids in the skin and scrubbing only hastens the process. The more showers you take, the more frequently this damage takes place and the less time your skin has to repair itself through natural oil production. What's more, the horny layer of your skin can be sloughed off by scrubbing, exposing the delicate skin cells beneath. The result of showering too frequently is generally dry, irritated and cracked skin."

( health.howstuffworks.com/.../...y-shower-skin1.htm )

What you are saying is true.

• Thanks for confirming! :) That's what I've been saying yet no one believes that to be true... I think people need to realize that as long as you look presentable & FEEL clean that's all that matters :)

• It's right in the first paragraph
      "Using plain old soap (as opposed to antimicrobial or antibacterial soap) doesn't kill skin-borne bacteria."

• @DrGtheMD I actually noticed that you got about that far. I also noticed you didn't actually read the article.

"Using plain old soap (as opposed to antimicrobial or antibacterial soap) doesn't kill skin-borne bacteria. It actually disturbs microcolonies of skin flora and fauna, transferring them to the surrounding environment -- like your shower, for instance. For this reason, surgical teams and patients are generally restricted from showering immediately before entering an operating room. Still, showering regularly is recommended for good personal hygiene. Showering too much, however, can have a potentially damaging effect on your skin."

Don't cherry pick. Okay, good luck to you.

• If you want to smell like crap

• Showering once or twice a week is not that unusual actually, ahaha :) Experts are actually beginning to understand the benefits of doing so

• You didn't simply state your opinion. Now you are backpedaling. The fact is you said that some experts are beginning to understand the benefits. My comeback was that is not true. Do not try to justify what you are doing by saying that experts are now agreeing with you or advocating what you believe. I pointed out that is just not the case

• No backpedaling here. I never said that it's tried and true. I just think it's something to look into which is exactly what experts are suggesting. The real issue here is that the way you're coming off is very disrespectful to me. I never disrespected you so I expect you to extend the same courtesy to me. I really don't think that's a lot to ask. We all have differing opinions. That's fine. Just don't talk to me like your opinion is the only one that counts. I never once said "this is a proven method that everyone should subscribe to." PS: Showering once or twice a week does not mean you "smell like crap." You don't even know me to make that assessment...

What Girls Said 3

• As long as you clean ur armpits and crotch daily, this probably would be fine.

• Yeah... no. I have sweaty big foot genes. Showers at least daily please.

• I think it depends on where you live as well lol :) I live in one of the coldest countries so I don't get sweaty all that much :P

• Lucky! I have the warm California climate so that doesn't help lol

• I know what you mean! I'm in Florida (family vacation) at the moment and I have been showering A LOT more than I'm used to because it's way too warm lol :)

• I wish I could post a picture of the face that my face made reading this take. It was something between 😣 and 😷. While I totally respect your decision, and I get you about the curly hair, I just can't even imagine showering only once or twice a week. I have some crazy kinky curls on this head that I have to straighten as well, but I NEED a shower at least once a day if not twice. My job is disgusting so sometimes I immediately strip at the door and throw my stuff immediately in the wash and then shower and scrub because it's so gross. On my off days I'm running around my house doing chores, playing with my dirty smelly dogs, or outside doing something and I absolutely HATE that "you smell like the outside" smell. Plus I love soaking into the hottest bath water I can tolerate and just relaxing. It's my quiet time.

• Whatever works for you, lol :P I can understand where you're coming from (especially because of the nature of your job). My only issue is that the people who seem so against it just assume that everyone has it as easy as they do. Some people don't really understand that it's not as simple as they make it out to be. You obviously understand the struggles of having curly hair and how time consuming it is to straighten on a daily basis. I just refuse to devote that much time on something that I can make so much easier on myself ahaha :) It also annoys me when people assume that showering once or twice a weak means that you're unhygienic or gross. I can honestly say that I've never had body odour issues because I'm very aware and keep myself up ahaha :) I just wish people didn't see it as such an unspeakable topic. Thanks for your opinion :)

• The curly hair struggle is definitely real. I wish I could figure out a way to just let it be curly, but it just looks like a nappy mess. I mean, it wasn't until I was 16 that they invented a "good" hair straightener, and I got to actually run my fingers through my hair 😂. So that I totally get, and I admittedly am a slightly shower obsessed person because I hate sweating. So I could have issues lol. Anyway, take care =)