Comic Book Trivia: Batman, The Caped Crusader

I already wrote about Superman and Thor. I'm writing this one about Batman since people have been asking for it and I love his character too much.

10. They originally planned for him to be an opposite to Superman.

Superman was DC's biggest character and probably the only popular superhero back then (besides Human Torch and Namor, but the were nowhere as well-known). They wanted to create a darker character without any powers as opposed to a light-hearted one that relies on them too much, even though they both fight for the same thing.Comic Book Trivia: Batman, The Caped Crusader

Together they're the two most iconic comic book characters of all time.

9. He's the second best detective on Earth (in my opinion)

Say hello to Detective Chimp.

He's a chimp that can talk and has the intelligence of a human. He's solved cases just as advanced but the reason I place Batman below him is because Batman relies too much on his tools. (Also, Detective Chimp's initials would be DC. Get it? No? Okay 😞)

8. Bruce Wayne's name was based off two real heroes.

Robert the Bruce, a Scottish national hero.

Mad Anthony Wayne, a hero of the American Revolution.

Also, Batman is the name of a rank given to soldiers who are assigned to a commissioned officer as personal servants.

7. His online screen name is JohnDoe297.

6. There’s a Batman College Course.

Brb changing schools now.

5. He once took on Superman and the US army at the same time.

This happened in The Dark Knight Returns. As I said in the Superman take, this isn't canon but it's a pretty good story. It's set 10 years after Robin's (Jason Todd's) death. A lot of fans don't consider this a victory for Batman since he had help from Robin (Carrie Kelly) and Green Arrow, but Superman had more help than him. He had the entire US army backing him up.

This was a weakened Superman since the sun hadn't come up for days (bad weather conditions, long story). He was still strong enough to pick up and throw tanks, but so was Batman because of a powerful suit he created. He lasted 40 minutes without Kryptonite and only used it as a last resort.

There's also a two-part animated movie adaptation that I'd recommend watching for people who haven't seen it yet. They did leave out a few good dialogues from the comics but the soundtrack and the animation make it worth it. I expected Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice to be based off of it too but it was very different (and a huge disappointment).

4. He could have been a Yellow Lantern.

The Yellow Lanterns of the Sinestro Corps are powered by fear, so when a ring attempted to choose the best person on Earth when it comes to instilling fear, it chose Batman. Yup, criminals are that scared of Batman.

3. He's got a bunch of mechanical armors.

And the one mentioned above is not his most powerful armor. His most powerful is the Hellbat armor(although that was built for him by Superman and the rest of the League).

You can ignore the part saying "IRON MAN, WHO?" though. Iron Man has suits that are more powerful than even the Hellbat. After all, Bruce isn't much of an engineer. He's a detective.

2. He's got contingency plans for the entire Justice League.

This is an obvious one for comic book fans. Batman is a man with trust issues and has contingency plans for anyone he considers a potential threat, including his friends. There's a comic called JLA: Tower of Babel in which Rha's Al Ghul gets his hands on the plans and uses them to defeat the League.

There's an animated movie called Justice League: Doom that's loosely adapted from it. It doesn't have the same plot but it's based on the same idea. This is another movie I'd suggest watching.

1. He (along with supporting characters) was partially inspired from Sherlock Holmes.

So we have one of the best detectives in the world who takes help from a retired army doctor. He's not liked by any of the cops except one. There's a femme fatale that started out as a villain but progressed to be an anti-hero, and an arch-nemesis who wants to watch him burn. Seem familiar? Other inspirations for the character include Zorro, Shadow, and Dracula.

Bonus fact: They even had a crossover.

I'm writing my next two ones about Spider-Man and Wolverine.

#ComicBookTrivia #LTComicTakes

LadyTerror is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 17

let me get this right according to that picture detective chimp is in Hellblazer?
    I must not have gotten to that part yet.

lol detective chimp lol

On the planet Krypton, Batman wouldn't need any special suit to defeat Superman, because, when they are situated on a planet in the red sun system, Kryptonians are no stronger than any other humanoid. In fact, an average Vulcan or a Klingon could easily beat any Kryptonian 😆

Yeah I know. In fact, there was one comic where he even used a lamp which generates the energy of a red sun to weaken Superman so he could defeat him. Wonder Woman intervened in the last minute though, so that didn't work out.

Good tactics, too bad she was jealous :P

I love Batman and yeah very cool

"Iron Man has suits that are more powerful than even the Hellbat"
    i2.kym-cdn.com/.../1320529223886.jpg

Do you even know about all of Iron Man's armors? Hellbat wouldn't stand a chance against some of them

I have serious issues, that's all you need to know.

Alright it's cool 👍🏾

Fine trivia, Batman for the win!

Pretty good though I feel like the question is up their for detective work (probably one of the best characters in DC in my opinion (at least the first one was)). Good take!

Alright, awesome mytake, I'm always glad to see a tribute to Batman.

Fine article, Batman rules ✌️

Love it. Again.

But #5 is Batman? Furrealz?

9. Loving the Ordnance Survey map on Detective Chimp's wall. Well observed.

7. Why is Batman talking to Big Red and OJ Simpson?

Stop telling everyone all your secrets...

Shhh! I'm giving them lies ;)

I know... you couldn't have a contingency plan for *all* of the justice league... You're a liar, and a braggart...

Batman himself admitted that The Question is a better detective than himself.

Do you remember which comic was that in? Isn't he more of an investigative reporter?

If I remember correctly it was in the animated Justice League show.

Ah okay. I'll have to rewatch those episodes lol

10. I thought so :)
    9. Hmm, I've never heard of Detective Chimp... my favorite detectives are Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.
    8. That's fascinating, I never knew those facts :D
    7. Interesting.
    6. Cool, a college that teaches you how to become Batman :P
    5. Really, that comic kinda reminds me of the movie (Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice) - despite being non-canonical.
    4. He turned down the Yellow Lanterns? That guy is so modest...
    3. Yep, he would kick Iron Man's butt ;)
    2. I knew that, very cool plan.
    1. Batman traveled into the past to meet Sherlock Holmes? That would be a great movie.
    What can I say, great Take, one of the best ever 👍

Well for #9, I was only talking about detectives in DC comics lol. I like Batman more but the chimp has solved better cases overall.

And #5, well I guess it's similar in the sense that he beats Superman and that Robin is dead. But the reason they fight is completely different. The movie made Batman seem like an asshole but I feel Superman was being a dick in the comic. Just my opinion though :P

PS - I hope you'll write about her too, after you finish Spider-Man and Wolverine :D

Agree! :D

Human torch and namor are okder than batman? I didn't know that

And i love the babel and n52 justice league arcs where he goes over his strategies to take down ewch league member i like the n52 one more when he tell superman the reason he doesn't want him banging wonderwoman is because she has no weakness and he's the only one that could stop her if she went crazy

Yeah they were Marvel's first characters, but that was a different Human Torch than the one we know (The F4 didn't exist back then)

Yeah I remember that too lol. I think he even used that to make them fight each other in Injustice

Great one again!

can't wait for the next ones :D

What Girls Said 12

Nice MyTake :)

Very interesting facts. I was wondering, who was Batman's first sidekick, Robin, Batgirl or Batwoman?

Awesome!! I didn't know a lot of this. Very interesting. I'll look forward to your next one 😍

A Batman college course? A BATMAN COLLEGE COURSE? AND I WASN'T TOLD? SON OF A BITCH AT CHRISTMA- I GOTTA CALL MY SCHOOL IMMEDIATELY! I JUST FOUND MY FUCKIN MAJOR BITCHES! WHOOOOOO!!!

Batman is the best ^-^

Is he a detective all he seems to do is kick the shit out of people. In the real world those guys would be charging Batman with assault and false arrest Since he never takes the witness stand those "bad guys" would be back on the street as soon as they got out of hospital. I like the punisher because he doesn't put his bad guys on jail to escape on a weekly basis for an orgy of violence and murder, no he puts his in the ground.

He actually is. He's one of the best at collecting information.

And that's true. But one of the things he does is intentionally try to scare people so they would live in fear and would try to change themselves

Why would it get dismissed?

Because Batman won't take the stand. How many cases get thriwn out every year because police hadn't a warrant. Look at RKelly he videoed himself with a twelve year old the night he won a grammy and the case was dismissed ss the tape was inadmissible.

In the 1997 DC/Marvel crossover event he also developed contingency plans for many Marvel characters.

Go team Batman 👌

Fantastic mytake, Batman is the best 😎

orig12.deviantart.net/.../...y_bolt187-d6z0hy2.jpg

Omfg loveeee it my child. I never knew some of this and I love Bruce😝👏👏👏 you made your mom proud😭 next you have to Spidey haha! I just keep giving you characters lol so demanding aren't I?😂 You better not answer that!

Yesss, Batman, at last, it was worth the wait: mtlcommunications.com/.../...6HKF1rrkahjo6_400.gif

Finally, my favorite superhero, I love this myTake 😍