Why is Katy Perry so famous when she's a terrible singer?

There are many famous singers who can't sing... but at least they dance and have creative shows... What is Katy Perry's 'thing' then?

She falls off the notes constantly, she can't harmonize propperly, she goes into the wrong note and the whole thing just sounds off from the get go... It's horrible. o. O
At 31 you'd think she's have it all down - she has nothing down.
Just one example...

Can't just be because she's hot... right?

Most Helpful Guy

• She's not the best singer ever - but in Pop music, that's not really a requirement. She writes good songs, she has the attitude to back them, she has a unique look and style, she knows how to use (the idea of) sex to good effect to sell her music and image, and AutoTune exists.

This formula is very common in Pop music - it's hardly unique to Katy Perry.

Most Helpful Girl

• She's hot and flaunt it

What Guys Said 27

• I don't think she is a bad singer, and I kind of like her, and like watching her, so if she is off-key, but her presentation, in her concerts impresses, and entertains me, I guess I don't care that much!!
    It's kind of like that thing, a little annoyance about your partner, that you REALLY love, but one little thing bothers you!!
    So she squeezes the toothpaste from the middle, but GODS, she is good in bed!!
    Just like that, with Katy!! Maybe she is a little pitchy, here and there, but the show, the presentation, her cute little bottom!! Like I'm not kicking her out of bed for eating crackers, OK? You learn to love the 'crust' of someone, as well as the soft, wonderful bread!!

• Pop stars and movie stars are more about projecting a personality than performance talent. They are almost exactly like products in a grocery store, detergent say. The best selling brand is not the one that gets your clothes the cleanest for the least money, it's the one with the best package and advertising.

That's also why movie stars are not necessarily the absolute best looking people. Ideally they are very good looking but in a memorable, distinctive way. So you can recognize the box from all the others.

• Because bewbs.

• I've never noticed the things you have when I listen to Katy. In fact I enjoy her very much. If she misses notes I've missed that. I really like her phrasing.

• 1. She's not a bad singer.
    2. She's a good performer.
    3. She creates good music.

Anyone with even lackluster talent can be enjoyable to listen to if they learn how to perform well and can write good songs.

The reverse is true as well. Some of the most talented musicians you'd ever meet will never go anywhere, with it because they can't perform. No one cares how well you know your scales if your music is boring.

• Because the Jews who run the music industry decided that she was a suitable shiska to put money in their pockets, so they promoted her.
    Perry cannot sing. She has self-evidently had no training, or at least does not show evidence of having had training.
    In the song Firework she is flat, cannot reach notes and cannot hold notes.
    My daughter, who is a classically trained mezzo soprano, cringes and sometimes has to leave the room whenever Perry appears on the television.

• Hmm.. I like her singing.. In fact it took me a while to see her face and memorize it, cause it was always changing, and I never hear songs on youtube.

• Easy... you don't need talent in the music industry anymore, with Autotune you can make even the most tone deaf person sing perfectly. Katty Perry is a "sex item" style singer she's popular beacuse she has good looks

There are a few people who are talented in music noadays but they don't get the recongistion they deserve

That's my opinion anyway

• I would rather hear you sing more to me

• naah, she's not a bad singer, i like some of her songs very much, like fireworks and wide awake. she's a pretty good singer

• she has great tits.

• Because she glamorizes life and she's good looking.

Not for me though, I love metal and industrial music and my favorite female singer, Fernandina Lira, isn't hot, but she's harsh the way I like it.

• never heard of her till now- she is not bad looking but nothing special

• I don't think she's that bad. I'll admit I have a little bit of a pop music problem. I like Katy Perry. Every time I hear her sing "Damn" it puts me in a good mood.

• Maybe because of her looks and boobs? By the way she isn't that bad

• Dark horse is pretty catchy

• she's not hot

• What? She is great singer even though im not a fan of her voice but she has a strong voice strong presence and also very inspiring lyrics.

• I've heard her sing live accapella with no music or pre recorded songs and she sounded fine to me.

• She's a good singer and her songs have nice lyrics in them.

• It doesn't matter. people pay to see and listen to her music

• She's not Celine, but I think she's a good singer.

Lots of hotter women try to be famous and don't come a fraction near Katy's notoriety. So no, it's definitely not just because she's an attractive individual.

• I've actually never heard anyone call her a bad singer. I think her voice is fine

• She's got 2 things going for her and that's about it

• Yeah she's really hot but I don't know

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• I agree with you. She's not the best singer out there. But I also feel like the song Firework is also a hard song for someone who is not vocally strong to sing.

It would be much better if someone like Christina sang Firework, because she has the ability to hit those notes. She could probably do it in her sleep. But for Katy, it's a struggle.

I've heard several people try to sing this song, and it's not easy to hit those high notes.

I feel like pop music isn't her ideal style to sing in. I would love to hear her on some more punkish type songs. I think she has a good voice for it.

But unfortunately you gotta make music that sells, not what would be best for the voice. I feel like there's a lot of artists out there with untapped potential who just end up singing what sells. But I don't blame them. Everyone has to pay the bills.

• Meh.

Sing properly? There is no singing properly. Katy has some fans that love how she looks. She has some that love her voice. She has some that love her personality. There are millions that love everything. But she is tied with Michael Jackson theoretically about number one singles.

There's Taylor Swift. Soft, pop, light voice. Not powerful. With the help of instruments and such she is able to put on a good show because she has such a light voice that it gives a good impression.

Katy is like Pink. Both really powerful voices. No, they are not deep. They are powerful, look up videos of Katy singing live and you can hear the power.

:\

• There literally IS such a thing as singing propperly - with whatever technique you want to employ.
      Katie shouldn't even be kissing Pink's shoes much less be compared to her. o. O

• her songs are catchy and she's got a fun personality/performance style. the music industry isn't all about the voices. You have to appeal to an audience and rely on their support with whatever talents or entertainment you bring. More accurate to call them as part of the entertainment industry.

Side note, not blaming you or anything, but Idunno why people get so holier than thou about the entertainment industry. Average folks becoming harsh critics and then teaching their kids to work hard and try their best. Makes me scratch my head. They're people too.

• I'm actually a fan of Katy Perry and I think she is a great singer

Katy Perry was blonde and was a christian singer before she dyed her hair black and stepped out into the pop world the fact that she is pretty helps too.

Also when I first heard I kissed a girl
    No offense to anyone but I thought the woman was a ugly butch chick before I figured out what she looked like.

I think dying her hair dark made her stand out from women in pop who usually go blonde after they get popular in pop

• She has the looks. Try Nicki Minaj. Voice like an empty can, ego and butt the size of elephants... looks? Pahahaha... Like a clown. Literally.

• That was incredibly awkward to watch. The fans th look the interaction.. I hate pop.

• She's not a bad singer... I don't know what you're hearing. She's a bit off at some points, but there's way worse singers like, oh, I don't know, Rihanna? "Work work work work work" is not singing.

• I don't think she's a bad singer. She might not be BeyoncĂ© good but she's not bad. Taylor Swift isn't good, but somehow she's super famous.

• good composing

• I actually think she's a good singer

• Very few pop stars can actually sing.

• because she sold her soul