5 Reasons NOT to Get a Tattoo

5 reasons to not get a tattoo.

1. You may regret it

5 Reasons NOT to Get a Tattoo

We've all done soemthing we regret right? But at least those mistakes we can generally hide it. A stranger isn't going to come up to us and say, 'Oh, you're the person who ate too many marshamllows at once and choked on them and almost died last year.' No. People don't do that because they aren't psychic.

But, what if you made a mistake, that is forever there for the world to see. A tattoo is permanent. If you mess it up, it goes from being an awesome work of art, to an awesome permanent mistake that any stranger can see. (unless it's easy to hide).

2. You might not like it as much in years to come

This keys into number one. But a bit further down the track. One of those 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' things.

Yeah. No. It was a terrible idea. Just because it looked cool and was trending, does not mean you will love it forever.

3. Terrible artists

Not all tattoo artists are any good a their jobs. I don't even know how they got the job in the first place. But thye did. And that permamnent horror on your body is the result of letting that wannabe get ahold of a needle with ink.

Thankfully this guy managed to save his pikachu with a much better pikachu, from a much better artist.

4. Judgement

There are a lot of judgmental people out there. A lot. You get a tattoo and people are going to judge you even more than they do already. That is a fact. But if yuo get the wrong tatto. Oh just watch shit go down.

5. Cost

(according to google this is the most expensive tattoo)

Tattoos cost a lot. Heaps.

I walked into a tattoo and peircing place with a little drawing on my arm, and asked how much it would cost to get it tattooed onto me. One hundred dollars. A hundred bucks just for the tiny thing on my wrist? Serious? I don't want to ask my mother how much the huge work on her back cost.

According to her, her most recent ex spent over a thousand bucks on the tribal on his shoulder. Three sessions, a thousand bucks, a permanent ink stain. Yeah it looks fine. A lot better than it had before Mum convinced him to get it fixed, but serious? That much? Shit. No.

Anyway, those are just five reasons not to get a tattoo. Stay tuned, for shortly there will be five reasons TO get a tattoo.

Some more pictures of tattoo failures:

(couple tattoos >.<)(I'm happy for you. I really am...)

Part 2: Five Reasons TO Get a Tattoo

BaileyisDarcy is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

• I have a small one and still happy with it but indeed it was very expensive

• can't you get a tattoo that disappears on its on after a couple months? that would be cool.

• That would be pointless. Id rather not go through that pain and that cost for something that doesn't last.

Nice idea though. Just not for me.

• it could help you to see if you want to have a tattoo at all. if you dont like them it will disappear again. but i understand that you dont want to go through the pain because it disappears again.

• Use brain and take advantage of Tattoo Art ...

what you think?

• 4. Judgement justified.

• tattoo's and piercings mean nothing now. the last time anyone could even view them as subversive whatsoever was the 80's. from the 90's up to now everyone has them to show how 'cool' they are. i view tats and piercings as just another uniform, and uniforms are utterly uncool.

• People in the tattoo removal industry are making bank right now, that should be a reason.

• hey i got a colorfull work of art that is meaningfull to me in my firearm and I do not regret it and even old ladies compliment on how nice my tattoo is

• I wasn't going to get a tattoo, but some of these pictures inspired me!

• Hey some tattoos aren't shitty, can't judge all.

• coz every dickhead has it

• Personally, I don't care if a person has a tattoo but one thing I don't get is when people get face/neck/head tattoos. Why, just why?

I also love when people get tattoos that are very visible and cover up their entire arm and then complain when they can't get a highly skilled/professional job.

If you're a musician, work for yourself, or an industry that is friendly towards tattooed people then sure but if you're looking for a great job and you have nothing to cover up your tattoos, don't be surprised if they don't hire you.

• Had a discussion with one of my classmates on this. We all agreed that your education, experience, and skill are the only things that should be looked at when it comes to work. But we live in a world where looks and first appearances do matter. So if you have obvious piercings and tattoos you should be surprised you didn't get that accounting position at Goldman and Sachs. You gotta look for work in a industry that is (like you said) more tattoo friendly.

• I definitely agree with all of those! Not to mention they are painful. Wait you want me to PAY you to hurt me? Um... no!

• Great take. Also don't forget that tattoos are discriminated against in the workplace. You can't even join the army or become a cop if your tattoos are visible when wearing clothing and if you have more than 4 tattoos.

• I always thought that was true for cops, but I have seen tons of officers with tattoos recently, so I'm not sure.

• So if a guy has one tat on his dick, one on his ball sack and one on each ass cheek, do they strip em down in recruitment to check?

• That actually isn't true, at least not for Army. They changed the law some time ago. I know many guys in the Army with full sleeves and leg tattoos. I've also met cops with more than 4 tattoos. I think it all depends on how good you are

• Nice take and you made good points. I also enjoyed the pics of tattoo failures. Getting a bad tattoo comes with a price.

What Girls Said 16

• Hahaha Those tattoes are terrible!
    I know the dude with the eyes painted it on (if not the artist did a really good job of making it look painted on) - but all others - good Lawd!

• I plan on getting a tattoo on my wrist. It's gonna be my favorite quote. I'm also contemplating on getting a compass tattooed on my neck to symbolize I have no one set of direction in life. It's always changing.

Am I the only one in love with the pikachu tattoo? It's like a wonderful mistake. If the first artist didn't mess up we wouldn't have the awesome cover up!

The vagina tattoo I don't think that girl will ever regret it.

The troll under the arm is clever and hilarious.

• I agree one hundred percent since I did the same take a month ago : www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a21629-8-of-the-worst-types-of-tattoos .

Tattoos are great ! but get something meaningful.
    Going with the trend tends to fade.
    What's left after?
    Regret.

• I love my tattoos. They're expressions of myself and my personality.

• Love my tattoos and do not care what people think about them

• Those are all good points. And a lot of people that get tattoos are very stupid and don't think about it. I have a total of 5 and plan to get more in the future. Both wrists, the complete tops of my feet, and my under my collar bone to my shoulder. Mine were all planned at least a month in advanced and I dont regret any of them. I started getting them when I was 18 so I've had 4 of them well over a couple years. I have never had an issue with my job and I work in an investment group and I also sell Mary Kay where I have to be professionally dressed for my business at almost all times. Sure they're expensive but if it's something that matters to you its worth it.

• way to make google work google for you huh.
    You couldn't have been a bit more neutral on the subject? Actively looking for scratcher tattoos to prove a point is pointless. I could show you a hundred awesome tattoos in return.

Yes they do cost a lot of money. If you get a cheap one, the images you pasted are exactly the kind of quality you get.
    www.2k2bt.com/.../...389216327546_1388445186_n.jpg

as for your little tattoo you asked for: you have to realize that there is a base cost to every tattoo. the artists time costs something, the needles, the ink and the other material he has to use to set that up, it doesn't really matter if it takes him 5 minutes or 1 hour. the base cost is the same, and this is what you have to pay for always as an absolute minimum.

• How do you mean by neutral? I love tattoos. I want a tattoo. I did deliberately find pictures that showed bad quality tats or just bad idea tats, yes, because it would have defeated my purpose if I'd explained why no to get a tattoo while showing the most gorgeous tats you'd ever seen.
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a22099-five-reasons-to-get-a-tattoo
      I am for tats. I just wanted to put a why not to get one as well as the why to.

I am aware of the base price, but still. A hundred bucks for the tiniest piece of crap youve ever seen? (So glad i never followed through with that tat. It looks terrible.)

• The person in the last picture really needs some conditioner. What the hell is that? A rope, hair? Conditioner.

This is a great MyTake because you address valid points.

The lady with the vagina tattoo. She included her uterus and Fallopian tubes as well, so she should have put their names on her back too.

One day I want a tattoo but now now, I'm too broke and indecisive. Plus, I like to collect things, so I think I'd have 20 before I knew it.

• Couples' tattoos are the worst because they won't be together forever (even if they think so).

• That Pikachu cover up was really cute.

• I'm not against tattoos but I would never get a permanent tattoo. I also think it's dumb when people tattoo their SO name on themselves and if they break up they are stuck with a tattoo of them

• Nicki Minaj's ex had that problem. He had her name and two portraits on his body. Same with Nick Cannon.

• @silenrose Amber Rose did the same thing
      I would get a temporary tattoo or like one of those studio temp tattoos like they have in movies but it would not be permanent

• yes, the fact that they're permanent is horrible to me.

• So here is my opinion.

1. If you feel that the likelihood of regretting it is big then you're obviously not a tattoo person. Which means that there's no point in even contemplating it.
    The key is to take A LOT of time to figure out exactly what design you want, what meaning it has to you and also put a lot of thought into placement.

2. Like I said, giving it a lot of thought is essential. This means also thinking of a design you know for sure will always mean something to you (i. e. not the name of your partner perhaps, since there's a chance that things will go south even if you'd like to believe that you'll be with them forever and ever).

3. Always, always, ALWAYS do your research on what artist to go to. Most artists have a portfolio that they can show you with all their works. Make sure that they also have pictures of actual tattoos they've made on people's skin. Someone might be able to do awesome designs on paper, but getting that design onto your skin is a whole different thing.

4. Let's face it, people who get tattoos aren't really people who care much about judgment in the first place. And if it bothers you, just get it someplace that's easily hidden. Like on your back, or your foot.

5. Obviously they cost a lot of money. But so do lots of other things. If you really want a tattoo, then all you have to do is save up. Money shouldn't be an issue if it's something you really want. It's art after all and these tattoo artists need to make a living somehow. Of course, spending lots of money on a shitty tattoo that some newbie artist made is a waste of money. That's why it's important to figure out which artist is worth it. Paying a little extra to make sure the design is just the way you want it is worth it. It's an investment.

If stuff like cost, judgment and the fear that you'll regret it makes you hesitant, then you're simply not a tattoo person and shouldn't get one. That's all it truly boils down to, whether you deep down really want it or not. Not how much it costs or if people will judge you for it.

• It took me about three years to figure out meaning, design and placement. About a year for each thing. So far I have no regrets and I've had it for 4 years. I barely even notice it anymore, it's like a part of me and I don't see myself ever regretting it because I so carefully chose what to get tattooed and what it means to me.

• thank you! finally someone with a functioning brain :-D I was loosing hope after reading all the other comments...
      I agree 100% with all of your points!!
      My last one I took forever to finish the design. I carried it around for about a year in my purse to look at it everyday and when I was confident that it was exactly the way I had envisioned it, I got it done.

• 1: You may regret everything you do, if you live your life not doing the things you wanna do, because you "may regret it" then your life is gonna suck.

2: Don't get something stupid then, otherwise it's the same answer as the previous.

3: Find a good artist, problem solved.

4: Tattoos are very mainstream and normal in todays society, and even if they weren't, why should I not get a tattoo, because some bastard is gonna judge me for it. Have some interigety and respect for your own person for gods sake..

5: Save enough money, think about what you want to get.

• That's why you should only get tattoos that washes off :)

• I like to wear tattoos but I don't like the real ones were u have to have a needle because that can hurt but I like the kind of tattoos were u can dab water on it and it'll stay on or get the kind were there's a air brush to put the tattoo on